All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Or St. Louis for Buchnevich IMO. Heavy LW who is over ppg for the past 115 games. Signed through 2024-25 for $5.8 million.
They look more like they're re-tooling than selling, and Buch is young enough to be a part of that...no reason to sell without a massive overpay on that contract (though I would love to get him). Same with Forsberg, Nashville just resigned him and has no reason to sell unless they're doing a total tank.

SJS I get the feeling is just playing a game of chicken waiting for us or NJD to blink first, or for all the "secondary" TDL pieces to go off the board until Meier is the only guy left and they can bend someone over a barrel for him. He probably won't move until deadline day.

Reactions: DaveG and zman77

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
in the process of listening to this podcast for specifics but figured would drop this here on a slow day:

Some Schmaltz talk too, CAR interes, not an ARZ contract due to the real cash owed in the next 3yrs, says he doesn’t think he actually get moved (Friedman)

Edit - Vrana talk is 22:30 in, they just “wonder” about CAR interest, nothing confirmed

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I'm not convinced all these injuries are actually injuries. Maybe they're dinged up, but some of them are being held out for trade purposes
I would think Week to week is more indicative of a real injury versus that usual day to day. Could hurt the ability to move Henrique.

I know im late but here are some different advanced stats for Schmaltz

Haha…Arizona getting the info out to jack up the price.

We are there, we just are the F-22 Stealth team. Everybody looking over their shoulder for us to see what we do with our shot....

....then we shoot a balloon.
“then we shoot a balloon”
Or steal some team’s cookies

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Adam Gold on the radio 30 min. ago. "Canes will probably trade for Craig Smith (with an adder) and might not do much else.

Talk about a buzzkill. Gold was the first to report on them being interested in TDA so he has some sort of inside knowledge (or had), but with this I think he’s dead wrong in thinking that’s the only deal they make.

Can’t take that $10M in space with you. I’d be pretty surprised if they don’t end up using most if not all of it. Granted, they may only use to take on bad contracts and gain more assets, but they’re certainly going to use the majority of it somehow.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Adam Gold on the radio 30 min. ago. "Canes will probably trade for Craig Smith (with an adder) and might not do much else.
Craig Smith would be a fine press box addition. Carolina shouldn't do it without getting a 3rd minimum. It would not stop them from completing any other additions.

Reactions: DaveG

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Seems to fly in the face of what Friedman was saying about a "good offer" to the Sharks for Meier....unless the Sharks have since said they prefer another offer and we declined to match or better it.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Craig Smith would be a fine press box addition. Carolina shouldn't do it without getting a 3rd minimum. It would not stop them from completing any other additions.
Really wouldn't be a pressbox addition if we get another player. We'd be at 23 with him, so any other additions require someone to go to Chicago.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yep, there's your Fast replacement for next year with potential to be more, depending on how he's doing.

I would hope that, or Craig Smith, or both, is/are not the only move(s) made at the deadline.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Getting Vrana with retention would make up for including Jarvis in a Meier deal.

Or we could trade a decent package for Vrana with retention and Walman.

Still have money for Meier and Smith (if Meier was retained)

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My preferred interpretation of Dundon's "there's a lot out there, but there's not a lot out there that makes us better" is that that's the mindset that would filter out moves like Craig Smith, not that we'd do a move like that and call it a day. Domi, Game 7 aside, is the personification of "not a lot out there that makes us better." The only things that make us materially better are a viable 2C (I'm coming around on the idea of Schmaltz the more it's being discussed), or a 1W like Meier or Kane. Even then I don't know that I want Kane.

We probably also get a better 6/7 D than De Haan/Coghlan. But that's just as an aside.

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
I think it’s clear and obvious Meier is the prize pig, but I think Vrana would be a really good consolation prize. He has about as an elite of a shot as you’ll find, him and Necas as one timer options on the half walls during the power play would be lethal.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Trading for Vrana encompasses the entire word cloud of the GMBC's philosophy. Elite sniper, distressed asset, weaponizing cap space, player with term, out of left field, etc. etc.
I like Vrana as weaponization of cap space much more than getting a pick for Smith.

That said, both are close to the deadline moves. As I said before, keep the space in case something comes up. If nothing good materializes and they get outbid on Meier, rejected by Kane, injury screwed with Henrique, etc. then make these moves after you make whatever other moves you choose.

I still think Boeser is a likely one. Lots of talk about him and Minnesota, but Minnesota can't fit him and Vancouver doesn't want any of MIN's contracts coming back. Carolina can make a much cleaner deal for Boeser.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Schmaltz is a guy that's been high on my target list for a while. My only minor concern is if he's a big fish in a small talent pond and could get lost a bit over here in a more complementary role. But I'm not overly worried about that.

Vrana would be interesting depending on the terms.

I think it's clear that Gold gets the occasional nugget of inside info, but most of what he says is garbage. I listen to his Canes podcast sometimes just for lack of Canes content, and man is he a moron on some things. And he's not above putting his weird opinions out as fact sometimes.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Schmaltz is a guy that's been high on my target list for a while. My only minor concern is if he's a big fish in a small talent pond and could get lost a bit over here in a more complementary role. But I'm not overly worried about that.

Vrana would be interesting depending on the terms.

I think it's clear that Gold gets the occasional nugget of inside info, but most of what he says is garbage. I listen to his Canes podcast sometimes just for lack of Canes content, and man is he a moron on some things. And he's not above putting his weird opinions out as fact sometimes.
There have been more than a few times where I get into the car after a game and turn the postgame show on confused if he watched the same game that I just sat through in the arena. His perception is very often disconnected with reality, and he often talks down the hypothetical fans who disagree with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad