All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Except we did beat one of those teams last year and took the other to 7 games, and we are also better than we were last year, and we were missing our top goalie.

I won't disagree that a good top 6 forward improves our odds, and I think that the Borg agrees; Dundon has said as much. But this team, as currently constituted, is fully capable of running the table.

Last years Andersen seemed to be in much better form than this year.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
My morning shower thought was that we'd trade a 1st, Morrow, and Kotkaniemi to the Penguins for Crosby. It won't happen for a lot of reasons.

Realistically I think Schmaltz is another good get. I was looking over some of the other bottom feeder teams for names we haven't mentioned yet and none of them struck me. We're getting to the point where we've named everybody so we can't be surprised. :naughty:

Dude I had the exact same thought yesterday. Unfortunately Malkin signed a 4 year deal recently so I dont see much chance the Pens deal crosby while Geno is still there.

Man, what if though...

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
A lot of people are bringing up Henrique, so just for comparison sake....

FoiQQ2uWcAAGVWk.jpg:large

Definitely looks like he's at his peak right now, as this is his card from the 3 years prior....

Eur3mbHXAAIRenX.jpg

Guys like Henrique and Schmaltz are absolutely Tier 2 guys we'd be going after if we can't land any of the big fish. Would be good, but wouldn't be as impactful as we probably want or need, and they do start to fall in the range of 'is it even worth it to acquire given what we have and what the price would be for the help they'd provide or the role they'd play.

Can someone explain what the competition and teammates % means for the jfresh reports?
  • Competition: The percentile ranking of Quality of Competition a player faces on average, based on time-on-ice. A higher ranking means he is deployed against higher lines, and the inverse. This is already accounted for by WAR, so it should just be taken as insight into how a player is deployed by his coaches and matched against by opposing coaches.
  • Teammates: The percentile ranking of Quality of Teammates a player plays with on average, based on time-on-ice. A higher ranking means he frequently plays with his team’s top TOI players, while a lower one means he’s probably in a depth or fourth line role. Similarly is already accounted for by WAR.

Per JFresh's Site

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
If they do end up with Schmaltz, Pageau or any other righty forward, they’re going to be a bit overloaded with right shots - Necas, Jarvis, Fast, Noesen, Stepan and new guy.

Remember when Williams was the only righty?

I mean... that's 6 guys. There's 12 forwards. Plus Stepan will be benched for new guy, so really 5 out of 12. I wouldn't call that "overloaded". If anything, that's a balance most teams would kill to get in a league where there are more lefties.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Re: the concern about Jarvis being part of the trade offer for Meier, here is a simple reason to think he's not: I think Friedman would've said earlier that we had a "very good offer" for Meier several days ago. Jarvis in his blog mentioned hearing his name in trade talks, what? Last Friday I think?

Why would Friedman just now say we have a very good offer in for Meier after about a whole week since Jarvis's blog? Either this was an offer made this week, OR someone in Carolina got impatient with the Sharks GM, Grier, dragging his ass to make up his mind, and wanted to apply public pressure on him while also letting Caniacs know we were serious about getting the best available forward.
wondering if Jarvis was even part of Carolina's offer. If he was, and Carolina and SJ were close, he would have been healthy scratched. that seems to be SOP in the league these days with pending trades. what seems pretty clear is that SJ is slow playing this and even requiring western conference teams to pay more for Meier. I continue to believe Carolina is fine with not getting him ala Eichel, Tzachuk and Horvat trades. make competitive offer and let another team overpay. I won't criticize this strategy.

My concern is the team was exposed in the playoffs for each of the past three seasons. Deadline deals did not work out. If Borg believes Meier is the difference maker as many of us on the board think, they should pay up now. get the player in here as soon as possible. Winning the Cup justifies the price of this trade as evidenced by Tampa and Colorado in recent years. Both teams made multiple deals leading up to or at deadline the years they won. This strategy does work and Carolina knows it.

Dundon's comments about not mortgaging the future, liking the players here, et al were a designed head fake. He's all-in IMO. Just have to make the big boy offer on Meier and get it done.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Or St. Louis for Buchnevich IMO. Heavy LW who is over ppg for the past 115 games. Signed through 2024-25 for $5.8 million.
FKoDHaYXwAMtMBX.jpg

My only concern about him is that it doesn't look like he's playing against the best lines of the competition, so there could be some regression on our top lines, but....

Excellent defensively, excellent offensively, and is good at putting the puck in the net. A lot to like there.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Naturalstattrick shows Schmaltz with 195 defensive zone faceoffs. 9th among Arizona. Compare that to Keller which has 308.

Necas shows 207 defensive zone faceoffs. Which is more than 195 and 5th among Carolina forwards.

Personally I have come around to seeing defensive/offensive zone starts/faceoffs as containing very little meaningful info. 75% of line transitions are on the fly. And given the numbers Schmaltz is far down the line of defensive options for Arizona. They just start in the defensive zone a lot more than Carolina.

Just a note to that chart he is a RW. It looks like the two years in his career that he tried to play Center (> 500 faceoffs) he had a 40% and 42% FO%.

Between Teravainen, Jarvis, Necas, Svechnikov (sometimes plays right) and Fast the team could really use either a Center or someone who can play LW.

Given the choice and similar price I'd take Henrique over Schmaltz.
Schmaltz has played 14 less games so thais why I looked at per game usage instead of raw accumulative numbers

Reactions: DaveG

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
A lot of people are bringing up Henrique, so just for comparison sake....

FoiQQ2uWcAAGVWk.jpg:large

Definitely looks like he's at his peak right now, as this is his card from the 3 years prior....

Eur3mbHXAAIRenX.jpg

Guys like Henrique and Schmaltz are absolutely Tier 2 guys we'd be going after if we can't land any of the big fish. Would be good, but wouldn't be as impactful as we probably want or need, and they do start to fall in the range of 'is it even worth it to acquire given what we have and what the price would be for the help they'd provide or the role they'd play.

• Competition: The percentile ranking of Quality of Competition a player faces on average, based on time-on-ice. A higher ranking means he is deployed against higher lines, and the inverse. This is already accounted for by WAR, so it should just be taken as insight into how a player is deployed by his coaches and matched against by opposing coaches.
  • Teammates: The percentile ranking of Quality of Teammates a player plays with on average, based on time-on-ice. A higher ranking means he frequently plays with his team’s top TOI players, while a lower one means he’s probably in a depth or fourth line role. Similarly is already accounted for by WAR.

Per JFresh's Site
When we acquired Trocheck it wasn’t about him being a stud who did a ton of things on his own. He was good enough to center a second line, contribute to a pp and pk. A well rounded player. He gave out team shape as it put Staal we he can truly excel as a 3C and our forward group just made more sense.

On the surface Henrique would give us a very similar feel, everyone would feel like they belonged in their spot other than maybe those who feel KK gets hosed as 4c. Schmaltz likely does the same thing but I’ve barely followed him since he was in Chicago. He can be a center but I’d guess Henrique is the better all around guy there. Regardless, putting either with whoever Rod puts on the second line does give us more shape in the forward group.

Neither is as sexy as Meier but they both cost a lot less and could arguably help the team more by adding a higher level of 5v5 offensive consistency throughout the lineup. To me it’s the higher priority over a Patches replacement. When we had Tro we were almost there, we just needed a Patches. Now we could really use both and I think the center matters a bit more. I’d hardly be upset if we got Meier though.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
^^^^^
Trocheck (his stats appear have declined this year) versus Schmaltz. Contract cost is close but Schmaltz is much younger with term plus better advanced stats:

1677169647617.png

re: Meier--presuming existing core is not touched an acquisition this year gives us a minimum 2 year cup window.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I know this is a supporting point to your post and not your main point, but like... he really is. He's so good. Isn't that wild? Random cast-off. It's like our version of Forsling from a player acquisition perspective.
It's been clear since day one he's had the raw physical talent, the question was the mental side of his game. And spending time with all these great defensemen, and with a historically good Dman seeing himself in Chat and deciding to dedicate a lot of time and effort to mentor him... it's the perfect demonstration of network effects. Being around that level of talent makes you better.

The Canes should take the exact offer they have on the table for Meier and go to Nashville with it and offer it for Forsberg.
An absurd fantasy. Forsberg *is* their core. He's their Aho and signed long term. Not only will they say no, they'll block your number.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I mean... that's 6 guys. There's 12 forwards. Plus Stepan will be benched for new guy, so really 5 out of 12. I wouldn't call that "overloaded". If anything, that's a balance most teams would kill to get in a league where there are more lefties.
True but it would be 1 or 2 righties on their off wing unless the new guy is a center as our top 3 Cs are lefties and 4th could be as well depending on who is benched. I would not be complaining though, as you said righties are a bit more valuable

Reactions: zman77

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Re Ferraro's comments about acquiring a 50 ft guy, come playoff time, the game changes...intensity ramps, time and space experience significant shrinkage. Lot's of regular season 50 ft guys can't adapt (not gonna name names).

Unless it's a legit assassin, give me a 200 footer that takes no shit. ROR would've had me sprung.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad