All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
That assumes that Carolina wouldn't be willing to swap out Morrow for their 2024 1st which sounds nonsensical to me. But that certainly could be the case.

I think Grier liked Zetterlund and Muk. That is his prerogative certainly.
I don't see why we shouldn't have offered a conditional 2024 1st round pick on top of Morrow, 2023 1st round pick, and Philly's 2024 2nd round pick. To really go for a 100% max offer (with probably a little bit of an overpayment), without offering Jarvis or Nikishin, who, not surprisingly are both off the table, we could have offered any non-Nikishin prospect on top of everything else.

Conditional 2024 1st round pick + Morrow + 2023 1st round pick + Philly's 2024 2nd round pick + MAYBE a non-Nikishin prospect. Something like that.

Again, how many chances will we have to get a 40 goal scorer who is still in his 20s?

Whatever, it's done now. Also, if San Jose was intent on New Jersey, it wouldn't have mattered.

Reactions: MinJaBen

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Look I can accept not getting Mierer but for f***ing sake man, at least get something in return that stings other side.

The Western Conference already sucks as is and the best players are getting poached for peanuts. Patrick Kane won't fetch much of a return to Chicago and everyone knows it, they have very little leverage.

Hopefully DW has something but we also need TT, Svech to not go cold and start scoring some f***ing goals.

Reactions: DaveG and Sigurd

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Look I can accept not getting Mierer but for f***ing sake man, at least get something in return that stings other side.

The Western Conference already sucks as is and the best players are getting poached for peanuts. Patrick Kane won't fetch much of a return to Chicago and everyone knows it, they have very little leverage.

Hopefully DW has something but we also need TT, Svech to not go cold and start scoring some f***ing goals.

Lately, it’s Necas that’s been a non-factor when he hits the ice. Ever since they put together that Svech - Aho - Jarvis line, the 2nd line of KK - Necas - TT has been struggling to do much besides individual efforts.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If we assume that SJS took the best offer, then we must conclude that Carolina, Vegas, WPG, Buffalo, and any other team didn't make an offer that SJS thought was better.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lately, it’s Necas that’s been a non-factor when he hits the ice. Ever since they put together that Svech - Aho - Jarvis line, the 2nd line of KK - Necas - TT has been struggling to do much besides individual efforts.
necas: last 5 games, when the switch was made: 2G, 5P, +4.

I'll take more players to be "non-factors" like that.

I don't believe that for a minute, because that return is shit LOL
So you're suggesting that SJS took an inferior return?

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Exactly my worry when it comes playoff time that they’ll be relying on 1 line to score all the goals

Reactions: DaveG and Sigurd

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Mostly the fact that we're always the runner up or an afterthought in trades for highly coveted players like Meier and Tkachuk? I mean they certainly could have had a similar or better offer but it's kind of weird we never get the player in question and are only mentioned as afterthoughts once the trades go through.
Last year Frank S. said our approach to the market was "unique" and perhaps, not realistic.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
Yeah, I don't think we had a chance in this one.

Vagrant - it sucks to see you so bummed out on this. We've got a squad, even without Meier. Second in the league and let's not forget, these same Devils had a 10 point division lead and we walked these mfers down. We use "we like our group" as a pejorative but honestly, we've got a pretty damn good group. I'd like to see us add to this lineup but our dudes go hard. That's all you can ask for.

So what I'm saying is:

1677464196110.png

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
i Know the individual is old, But do you think the Canes could entice the Senators to trade Claude Giroux? Reasonable contract Good PP numbers and excellent FO percentage? i would rather have him than Schmaltz

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
the frank tweet of our offer was before we added to it in last 24 hours according to Friedman (he said on 32 thoughts on broadcast that we added to our offer and was pushing for a decision sooner than later)..

so if we were team 1 and offering first and Philly 2nd (really last first almost with where Philly picking) and a Morrow… and then we added to it….. well it would seem the offer was competitive..

I’ll be curious to see if in the press quotes of news conferences if Grier will admit he consulted Meier and did him a solid to move him to his preferred spot…. Even though he didn’t have any kind of no move just to get his reputation going that even in tough spots he will do right by his players…. That angle likely just as possible as the nefarious implication he purposely took an inferior offer from another team just as a favor to some familial or buddy buddy thing.. for a first time GM that likely wouldn’t sit well with his owner

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
i Know the individual is old, But do you think the Canes could entice the Senators to trade Claude Giroux? Reasonable contract Good PP numbers and excellent FO percentage? i would rather have him than Schmaltz

I thought he'd be ours in the offseason. He spoke highly of Rod at the All-Star game and (I assumed) wanted to win. Obviously I was wrong.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2016
The only way this makes any sense is if Timo said he’s not signing a long term deal until he hits the open market

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Giroux has an NMC
And you don’t think he’d waive to come to Carolina? He’s never won the cup, and he knows he will never have a chance with the Sens

I thought he'd be ours in the offseason. He spoke highly of Rod at the All-Star game and (I assumed) wanted to win. Obviously I was wrong.
I may be wrong but I think he took the money. I would bet if asked he’d approve it since he has never raised the cup

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
the frank tweet of our offer was before we added to it in last 24 hours according to Friedman (he said on 32 thoughts on broadcast that we added to our offer and was pushing for a decision sooner than later)..

so if we were team 1 and offering first and Philly 2nd (really last first almost with where Philly picking) and a Morrow… and then we added to it….. well it would seem the offer was competitive..

I’ll be curious to see if in the press quotes of news conferences if Grier will admit he consulted Meier and did him a solid to move him to his preferred spot…. Even though he didn’t have any kind of no move just to get his reputation going that even in tough spots he will do right by his players…. That angle likely just as possible as the nefarious implication he purposely took an inferior offer from another team just as a favor to some familial or buddy buddy thing.. for a first time GM that likely wouldn’t sit well with his owner
Grier will never get called out on the possible nepotism given the firsts and other players received (no matter what we or some others think).

In any event, it will take years for this to pan out (or not) and if it doesn't Grier will still have made his millions before he is terminated. I will strongly root against them in the Bedard sweepstakes.

btw: I suspect it's going to a few long nights this week in the Canes front offices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad