All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
he's not much of a cap dump. He's got the remainder of the season @2.5M left and a UFA after next year. That's like $700K in real dollars.
Even so, we would've just needed retention at MOST and not retention AND a cap dump as they did with New Jersey.

It's also not like San Jose is only retaining a little bit for Meier; it's 50% FFS. This whole trade saga at best is strange, but shady as f*** at worst IMO.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Espresso martinis make moments such as these so much easier to bear here in Camelback. If y'all wanna chuckle...the avocado toast is $29! Sort of a nice segway with the market rate for roster players.

Luckily for me, I am a customer at this boondoggle..so the offers are amazing..Top Golf here, exclusive Tequila tasting there, blah blah cocktails...join us for dinner on the rooftop here. I feel guilty as I have already locked in my budget for the year..again, kinda like the Canes.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
1st, philly's 2nd, and Morrow for Meier no retain and no bad deal going back is a better deal. Heck im sure we could have added something if they had continued the negotiations.
I feel the same way.

They didn't even give up Holtz. New Jersey got a great deal. Them giving up a 1st round from two years in a row when they're gonna be around the late 20s isn't bad for a player of Meier's talent. The prospects aren't anything special we couldn't beat.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Espresso martinis make moments such as these so much easier to bear here in Camelback. If y'all wanna chuckle...the avocado toast is $29! Sort of a nice segway with the market rate for roster players.

Luckily for me, I am a customer at this boondoggle..so the offers are amazing..Top Golf here, exclusive Tequila tasting there, blah blah cocktails...join us for dinner on the rooftop here. I feel guilty as I have already locked in my budget for the year..again, kinda like the Canes.
Az in late Feb. is top shelf....enjoy it!

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Put another way - if Carolina ended up with Meier for 2023 1st + Drury (Zetterlund) + 2024 1st (conditional) + Ryan Suzuki (recent 1st that has been so-so) then I think most posters would be happy they kept Morrow and Nikishin

It sounds like Carolina was willing to give up Morrow+1st+high 2nd and no cap dump for Meier. I guess that Grier preferred to draft more of his own players rather than acquire a top prospect like Morrow that's already somewhat formed. That's his prerogative, but I don't know if it works out. It depends on how well that they draft.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
It sounds like Carolina was willing to give up Morrow+1st+high 2nd and no cap dump for Meier. I guess that Grier preferred to draft more of his own players rather than acquire a top prospect like Morrow that's already somewhat formed. That's his prerogative, but I don't know if it works out. It depends on how well that they draft.
That assumes that Carolina wouldn't be willing to swap out Morrow for their 2024 1st which sounds nonsensical to me. But that certainly could be the case.

I think Grier liked Zetterlund and Muk. That is his prerogative certainly.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I feel the same way.

They didn't even give up Holtz. New Jersey got a great deal. Them giving up a 1st round from two years in a row when they're gonna be around the late 20s isn't bad for a player of Meier's talent. The prospects aren't anything special we couldn't beat.
Philly's 2nd is only 10 slots away from Jersey's 1st. Morrow aside, we weren't offering as many possible future NHL players though

Reactions: DaveG and Sigurd

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Slightly better package, still sort of underwhelming though. Guess the Canes didn't want to do that type of quantity for quality trade themselves.

Chatfield can play his off side.

What makes you think they didn't? As stated earlier, reports were that SJ was going to give NJ the right of last refusal. Canes could have made a very similar offer, SJ showed it to NJ who matched it, and SJ accepted. That certainly would explain why Waddell was so pissed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Put another way - if Carolina ended up with Meier for 2023 1st + Drury (Zetterlund) + 2024 1st (conditional) + Ryan Suzuki (recent 1st that has been so-so) then I think most posters would be happy they kept Morrow and Nikishin
that's fair. but maybe SJ views Drury as a 4th liner at best (he struggle there this year) and Suzuki's barely played the last 3 years. maybe they felt Zettrlund and SM Were better prospects. Just speculating.

I agree that we'd be ecstatic with only giving that up, but I suspect that SJS were just as underwhelmed if that was the offer.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, that return is garbage for SJ. Gotta believe Carolina offered a better package, but (for whatever reason) SJ or Meier preferred NJ. It is what it is.

Reactions: Tryamw

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
1997-98_UD_67_Mike_Grier.jpg

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
What makes you think they didn't? As stated earlier, reports were that SJ was going to give NJ the right of last refusal. Canes could have made a very similar offer, SJ showed it to NJ who matched it, and SJ accepted. That certainly would explain why Waddell was so pissed.
Mostly the fact that we're always the runner up or an afterthought in trades for highly coveted players like Meier and Tkachuk? I mean they certainly could have had a similar or better offer but it's kind of weird we never get the player in question and are only mentioned as afterthoughts once the trades go through.

Reactions: Borsig

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Mostly the fact that we're always the runner up or an afterthought in trades for highly coveted players like Meier and Tkachuk? I mean they certainly could have had a similar or better offer but it's kind of weird we never get the player in question and are only mentioned as afterthoughts once the trades go through.
Our offer was not the reason we didn't get Meier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad