All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020

Looks like Jeannot to TB will happen. She broke the Skjei to Carolina trade.

wow. the player that shall not be named on this board rumored to be going to TB. Makes sense. Team with limited playoff success and history of inconsequential deadline deals trading for this guy. Hold on.. cancel that. Thought I was talking about Carolina. Never mind.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
wow. the player that shall not be named on this board rumored to be going to TB. Makes sense. Team with limited playoff success and history of inconsequential deadline deals trading for this guy. Hold on.. cancel that. Thought I was talking about Carolina. Never mind.
What does Tampa know about playoff success anyway? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Stickpucker

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I like it too but it’s not good enough to win a cup maybe a round lol I guess if the front office and dundon are good with winning a round each year then they can keep saying they like the group
This group won 11 games in a row with a backup and a 3rd string goalie between the pipes. They are absolutely good enough to win a cup. Now a lot needs to go right for that to happen and everyone needs to be on their A game. So hopefully an upgrade will be seen but no reason to sell this group short.

Led Tasso

Jun 2, 2016
This group won 11 games in a row with a backup and a 3rd string goalie between the pipes. They are absolutely good enough to win a cup. Now a lot needs to go right for that to happen and everyone needs to be on their A game. So hopefully an upgrade will be seen but no reason to sell this group short.
tenor.png

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Ya that was before all these other teams made big additions. We’ve all seen how the scoring drys up in the playoffs

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Also to ponder, what will the psyche be of our players in missing out on Meier and not getting anyone else that would move the needle?

Would be a tougher sell for Rod than even the Patches injury (which he and the team's leadership did a great job in keeping the morale up)

It does make you wonder if vets like Jordo, Stepan, Fast, etc are getting a little frustrated knowing they're probably in their best remaining chance to win the Cup seeing the front office unable to get them deadline help to push them over the top for the playoffs.

First off we need to see what moves the Borg makes and whether those might move the needle. After that, I suspect it really is a question. I'm guessing part of it is how much faith those players have in the group they end up with at the deadline vs. how much they feel Meier would have moved the needle. It's pretty clear that some on here feel that Meier would have made way more of a difference than do some others on here. And the converse is, with Jarvis' name floating out there as a possible piece in a Meier trade, depending on what the Borg ultimately does, might some Canes actually feel good about passing on Meier if they feel it would have cost Jarvis?

All questions, and we probably won't ever get the answers, lol.

Reactions: geehaad

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
we blew it. we're no better and possibly worse than we were last year when that wasn't enough. 3/4 of our additions in Stastny/Kase/Burns/Patches blew up in our faces and we missed every marquee name at the deadline. I'll watch for curiosity purposes, but this isn't a cup team. If the Devils got Meier without dealing Mercer or Nemec, it's the turn of the blade.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina

Whoa. Surely San Jose is getting a great return if they're taking a cap dump, and for a guy who is injured and San Jose seemingly just now finding out after the trade that he's injured.

Gonna remind people that Seravalli earlier pointed out that previous teams had big offers but considerations:

So, again, surely New Jersey is giving a lot for Meier given the cap considerations (i.e. Andreas Johnsson being dumped) right? Lol. Nah, just kidding. I guess cap and roster considerations were only a noteworthy problem for other teams, but not San Jose's BFF's in New Jersey's front office.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Ya that was before all these other teams made big additions. We’ve all seen how the scoring drys up in the playoffs

We have more deadline cap space than any other contender in the league. We numerically have the most room to improve the team, by far. Let's wait until the actual deadline before we whine and mope.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
While it would be nice to see teams that basically get all this talent for nothing shit themselves, that's probably not happening.

At least one of the Rags and Devils will be eliminated. Maybe both

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Whoa. Surely San Jose is getting a great return if they're taking a cap dump, and for a guy who is injured and San Jose seemingly just now finding out after the trade that he's injured.

he's not much of a cap dump. He's got the remainder of the season @2.5M left and a UFA after next year. That's like $700K in real dollars.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
So are they snagged on cap or the other player?

Whatever it is, my dream scenario is this:
The Borg has a 1B plan in place that's really close in overall effectiveness as acquiring Meier, the snag proves big enough that SJ comes back to Waddell with hat in hand, he tells them to go f*** themselves, and the Canes win the Cup after implementing plan B.

That would be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad