All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
what is your problem exactly? you make snarky comments directed at me. This post has nothing to do with Jeannot or any other player like him. I will point out that hockey pundits love the Bruins trading for Hathaway and Orlov. Hathaway was not a throw in BTW.

My comments and so many others today reflect our collective frustration because Meier was the deadline stud. Canes were interested in him for a while now. they failed to step up which seems to be a recurring theme when competing in an auction style trade.

You can direct message me. Happy to address your issues directly if you can handle that.
you made some good points....similar to many social media sites on the internet, there are snarky folks on HF (that I just put on ignore), even on the Canes board.

I support the point that playoff hockey requires a different kind of a player(s) on your lines....physical intimidation ratches up and with our smaller roster we are vulnerable.

Challenge is that you don't want the Svetches and Meiers to do your fighting, you want knuckleheads like Trouba and folks on the 3rd and 4th lines to do that. No one on our current 3rd or 4th line matches that profile

lol, I can't believe I stating this but.... I'd take Tom Wilson (not that Caps will trade him) on the Canes squad even with his craziness (I'm sure Rod would temper it) because he would protect the smaller guys.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
This “report a trade but wait an hour to report the return” stuff is getting really old.
There's the thing that you can report the trade the second you hear they pulled the trigger, but then comes the part where the trade needs to be filed with the NHL Central Registry and they have to validate all the terms and particulars. There may be some issues with some conditions etc., so it's kind of good if they wait until that all has been cleared and there's no need for ironing out some kinks with continued trade negotiations.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
we havent even seen the return. We werent outbidding NJ even if Grier was going to negotiate with us in good faith. but call out DW and TD for blowing something they didnt have a chance at to start with.

way to go. maybe we have a shot at Jeannot now so that he can sit in the press box.
don't agree with your logic. Are you saying Canes were not outbidding NJ because they knew it was not a fair process? why even participate. Let's assume the process was not biased for argument's sake. New GM in SJ is going to refuse the best offer because he has a personal or working relationship with NJ's front office. No f*cking way. That gets him fired.

Very likely we didn't make the "hands down" best offer. My point is that we could have made such an offer that was clearly better than any other team, particularly if Jarvis (and Mercer for the devils) were not involved. we have plenty of draft capital plus Morrow and prospects to make the deal.

Can you accept this and move on or do you need to cry more about Jeannot (and Duchene) being mentioned as a potential acquisition?. you conveniently forget to mention every comment I made with respect to trading for Jeannot was part of a package deal involving Duchene. Pretty harmless topic to everyone but you.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
don't agree with your logic. Are you saying Canes were not outbidding NJ because they knew it was not a fair process? why even participate. Let's assume the process was not biased for argument's sake. New GM in SJ is going to refuse the best offer because he has a personal or working relationship with NJ's front office. No f*cking way. That gets him fired.

Very likely we didn't make the "hands down" best offer. My point is that we could have made such an offer that was clearly better than any other team, particularly if Jarvis (and Mercer for the devils) were not involved. we have plenty of draft capital plus Morrow and prospects to make the deal.

Can you accept this and move on or do you need to cry more about Jeannot (and Duchene) being mentioned as a potential acquisition?. you conveniently forget to mention every comment I made with respect to trading for Jeannot was part of a package deal involving Duchene. Pretty harmless topic to everyone but you.
Let’s put it this way: what is too much for Meier in your opinion?

Would you add Jarvis to the package for Meier?
Would you do Morrow and Nikishin?
How about Necas?

Just trying to find your limit on when it’s ok to walk away from the deal. Because contrary to your point above there is ALWAYS a point where the price is too high.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

your hypocrisy knows no bounds it would seem.

I am saying we arent out bidding NJ because their farm is twice as better as us. meaning they could add twice the better prospects and likely feel little repercussions.

If @Svechhammer is to be believed (and why not DaveG just about confirmed) and SJ was negotiating in good faith then we likely didnt have a chance to even give our best offer.

but you can accept this and move on or keep crying about DW not doing a job you actually have zero idea that he isnt doing. you can believe that hits and fights win cups if you want to but they dont.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I can confirm Jack Hughes is not part of the trade #insider
I can confirm that the Canes are saving their draft capital and Jarvis for when the Devils tear it down and make Jack Hughes available. They will just have to outbid the Sharks.

The borg, always smarter than all the other front offices combined. When the others are playing 4D chess, our management is playing eleventy-D chess.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

I am saying we arent out bidding NJ because their farm is twice as better as us. meaning they could add twice the better prospects and likely feel little repercussions.

If @Svechhammer is to be believed (and why not DaveG just about confirmed) and SJ was negotiating in good faith then we likely didnt have a chance to even give our best offer.

but you can accept this and move on or keep crying about DW not doing a job you actually have zero idea that he isnt doing. you can believe that hits and fights win cups if you want to but they dont.

Dude...he's just trying to have a conversation...no need to call him a hypocrite.

Just calmly explain your position or don't if you don't feel the need to help people understand.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Any GM that doesn't try to maximize returns is hurting his franchise. They may value players differently but I don't doubt he SJ got the best deal in their minds.
SJ GM helped out a personal friend by giving them Meier at a discount while turning down better offers from at least one team that is direct competition with them.

Hard not to be a little pissed over this. No wonder Waddell was as mad as he was last night

robbieberns

Feb 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
At this point they should either pull off a trade elsewhere for a Meier sized talent, or pick up a 13F and 7D and call it a day. Any in between would be a waste of assets. Someone like Schmaltz is not a needle mover imo.

Reactions: ndp

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011

I happen to think team toughness and being able to answer physicality is extremely important to winning it all.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Dude...he's just trying to have a conversation...no need to call him a hypocrite.

Just calmly explain your position or don't if you don't feel the need to help people understand.
dude he isnt trying to have a conversation. he is trying to say DW isnt doing his job with no information but shooting down my argument with no information. hypocritical, ya? ya

I happen to think team toughness and being able to answer physicality is extremely important to winning it all.
toughness doesnt equal hits and fights. its going to the dirty areas, scoring dirty goals, blocking shots, and not backing down.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
SJ GM helped out a personal friend by giving them Meier at a discount while turning down better offers from at least one team that is direct competition with them.

Hard not to be a little pissed over this. No wonder Waddell was as mad as he was last night
That is all conjecture. None of that is known. And if true, would probably lead the owners of the Sharks to fire their GM.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

Re: Preds--Poile's retirement announcement today with Trotz on board as his replacement I'm hesitant to think that they will tear up their roster before the TDL. I suspect that work will take place in the off-season. Thus, we shouldn't get our hopes up for their star players.

btw: need to see the assets Devils gave up....

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad