All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
You don't trade for a player, you trade for a contract. He's a rental. You don't sell the future for a rental if you want to win next year too.
Technically you’ve got him for this year and next with the QO. If he refuses to sign flip him next deadline for a ransom. Or hell let him walk like they did Dougie and take your two seasons of increased odds at winning a championship.

There’s nothing in the Hurricanes prospect pool that they couldn’t give up that would keep them from winning next season.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It's too bad our Morrow isn't ready to jump to the NHL for this playoff run to solve our additional D need. Islanders' Ken Morrow started that d trend straight to the NHL from college many years ago with (of course he did play on the famous Olympic team which helped tremendously)

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
if NJ is moving Nemec and a young roster player plus a first, we werent keeping up with that deal.

NJ giving up Nemec IMO would be a long-term win for Carolina. Giving away an ultra-premium RHD prospect who was drafted 2nd overall to get a goal-scoring winger is like chasing a high while your competitors are properly managing assets. I don't think that's what is going to happen, but still, I'm crossing my fingers that it's Nemec.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I would have been comfortable adding next year’s first to that.
Agreed. I also would have been okay replacing Morrow with Nikishin with that package (not with the additional 1st).

I sure hope Nikishin lives up to the hype...two years from now when he can finally make our roster.

People were joking on our board about Morrow being the next Cale Makar. Well, hopefully Nikishin actually is offensively speaking.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Lake's Recipe for Anger and Frustration*

• Take something you care about that hasn't happened yet
  • Imagine the worst possible outcome
  • Treat that as a given
  • Obsess
  • If there's a better result than you imagined, accept it rationally but make sure you retain and stoke the bad feelings you built up while obsessing about the worst possible outcome.

Make sure you share all of the above with as many people as possible!

* this works as well with politics as it does with hockey trades :D
I have to take issue with your fan card based on this. We'll have to expel you from the fan club as you 'obviously ' aren't fanatical enough. I would show you mine but it got taken many moons ago...

Reactions: ndp

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

And now that we have confirmation from a real source, time to find out how bad we got played, or if New Jersey went f***ing mental on which prospect they would give up.

I probably would have said 23 and 24 first, and name any two prospects not named Nikishin and Morrow.

Or 1st, Phi 2nd 24, Morrow.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Technically you’ve got him for this year and next with the QO. If he refuses to sign flip him next deadline for a ransom. Or hell let him walk like they did Dougie and take your two seasons of increased odds at winning a championship.

There’s nothing in the Hurricanes prospect pool that they couldn’t give up that would keep them from winning next season.
I use "next year" as shorthand for all of the future. I want to see a team that can be in the mix every year until the end of f***ing time. I sat through the decade of darkness, watching nearly every single game. Never again. Even if that means we don't get a 2% higher chance of winning the cup this year and next.

Don't overspend for the shiny new toy.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
absolutely. Borg could have gotten this deal done. They did so well on Burns and Patches trades that they could easily justify additional or above market cost to acquire Meier. No one would care if this team gets to SC Finals this year and Meier resigns. No one. Waddell may be pissed at SJ for feeling like they played him but he is 100% at fault. If Meier was The Guy and indications are he was, you blew it Donny and Dundo.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
im glad we didnt trade Jarvis today , and theres no other player worthy of Jarvis this year , so the Kid is safe , i really think trading any player than Noessen would have brought some bad mojo in the team , i could have put Chatfield , but i think fans and teamates like him , so please no Chrychrum and if we dont get anything lets use the cap to help some team in the west for no less than 3 rounders except for Karlsson , i dont want to retain any of his contarct for that long , unless hes playing for us ,

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
absolutely. Borg could have gotten this deal done. They did so well on Burns and Patches trades that they could easily justify additional or above market cost to acquire Meier. No one would care if this team gets to SC Finals this year and Meier resigns. No one. Waddell may be pissed at SJ for feeling like they played him but he is 100% at fault. If Meier was The Guy and indications are he was, you blew it Donny and Dundo.
cry me a river.

tell me how fighting wins championships instead.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
cry me a river.

tell me how fighting wins championships instead.
what is your problem exactly? you make snarky comments directed at me. This post has nothing to do with Jeannot or any other player like him. I will point out that hockey pundits love the Bruins trading for Hathaway and Orlov. Hathaway was not a throw in BTW.

My comments and so many others today reflect our collective frustration because Meier was the deadline stud. Canes were interested in him for a while now. they failed to step up which seems to be a recurring theme when competing in an auction style trade.

You can direct message me. Happy to address your issues directly if you can handle that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
what is your problem exactly? you make snarky comments directed at me. This post has nothing to do with Jeannot or any other player like him. I will point out that hockey pundits love the Bruins trading for Hathaway and Orlov. Hathaway was not a throw in BTW.

My comments and so many others today reflect our collective frustration because Meier was the deadline stud. Canes were interested in him for a while now. they failed to step up which seems to be a recurring theme when competing in an auction style trade.

You can direct message me. Happy to address your issues directly if you can handle that.
we havent even seen the return. We werent outbidding NJ even if Grier was going to negotiate with us in good faith. but call out DW and TD for blowing something they didnt have a chance at to start with.

way to go. maybe we have a shot at Jeannot now so that he can sit in the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad