All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Completely agree but I think if a team was offering that he'd have been traded by now. He's not doing us much good sitting there taking up cap space as our 8th defenseman... I'd take pretty much any positive asset at this point for Bear.

I've learned over the years of following teams that trade value for players is a very fluid thing. Injuries to already-shallow defenses like Florida/Vancouver tend to increase urgency, and I think that the Canes know that. What also improves trade value is that the Canes only need to send down Noesen if Pacioretty is ready to go in order to stay under the cap. For the Canes, any extra cap gained from a Bear trade is a luxury, so they're not going to accept a pure cap dump trade in the same way that they did for Dzingel (whose trade was hastened by a private request).

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
no more staals, we good
Jimmy_McGill_BCS_S3.png

Reactions: LBS I Digress

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I know it's early but I think our roster construction could use some tweaking. That's probably why were were in for Tkachuk (durrr that and he's a great hockey player)

Our 1st line is routinely beaten in the POs because of size issues.
Our 2nd line is looking really good and has good size.
Our 3rd line is very slow for today's NHL
Our 4th line is ???

Obviously adding Patches back will help but we might be in need of a hockey trade to push us over the edge. I'm not saying this trade would happen in the real world but something like swapping a guy like TT for E.Kane would help us a lot giving us size and a shoot first presence on the 1st line. **I'm not sure of a realistic target** maybe to facilitate something like this would require a F/D for F/D swap.

A way to solve this might be to sit/sell off a vet and move Stastny to center and pull up Drury/Rees/Robidas...I'm not sure who is the most NHL ready or suited to LW...I'll defer to people who follow prospects more

Patches Aho TT
Svech JK Necas
Jarvis Stastny Fast
Stepan Staal --Prospect /w Speed and size??

TLDR: We are a good team with good pieces I'm not sure the ingredients mix together to win a SC.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I know it's early but I think our roster construction could use some tweaking. That's probably why were were in for Tkachuk (durrr that and he's a great hockey player)

Our 1st line is routinely beaten in the POs because of size issues.
Our 2nd line is looking really good and has good size.
Our 3rd line is very slow for today's NHL
Our 4th line is ???

Obviously adding Patches back will help but we might be in need of a hockey trade to push us over the edge. I'm not saying this trade would happen in the real world but something like swapping a guy like TT for E.Kane would help us a lot giving us size and a shoot first presence on the 1st line. **I'm not sure of a realistic target** maybe to facilitate something like this would require a F/D for F/D swap.

A way to solve this might be to sit/sell off a vet and move Stastny to center and pull up Drury/Rees/Robidas...I'm not sure who is the most NHL ready or suited to LW...I'll defer to people who follow prospects more

Patches Aho TT
Svech JK Necas
Jarvis Stastny Fast
Stepan Staal --Prospect /w Speed and size??

TLDR: We are a good team with good pieces I'm not sure the ingredients mix together to win a SC.
staal isnt a problem or moving out of 3C this season.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Let's try to avoid overreacting based on 1 loss too, it'll take much more of the season to get a good hold on what this team is. I think all the new acquisitions will take some time to get up to speed in our system. Burns, Patches once he's healthy, Stastny, Coghlan, even CDH to a degree getting re-oriented here after several years away, though shouldn't take as long for him. I think we've seen some chemistry issues that are just a reality of new guys being here early in the year. As we get closer to the trade deadline we'll have a better idea of what we may need or not need to push this team over the edge.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I asked this on the main board, but it's a better question here:

If Bear has no market value, why not waive him and see if there are takers? If not, send him to Chicago, let him play to try and get his game back, and take $1.125M off the cap.

I'm guessing that's the scenario if they find no takers by the time Pacioretty is healthy, as that will give them the needed space to bring Pacioretty back off LTIR.

But I don't think paying someone off to take Bear or retaining salary makes sense if they can get about as much cap space back by sending Bear to Chicago. Bear's buried cap hit penalty would be $1.075M.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I asked this on the main board, but it's a better question here:

If Bear has no market value, why not waive him and see if there are takers? If not, send him to Chicago, let him play to try and get his game back, and take $1.125M off the cap.

I'm guessing that's the scenario if they find no takers by the time Pacioretty is healthy, as that will give them the needed space to bring Pacioretty back off LTIR.

But I don't think paying someone off to take Bear or retaining salary makes sense if they can get about as much cap space back by sending Bear to Chicago. Bear's buried cap hit penalty would be $1.075M.
There isn’t a rush to do so until Patches is ready to go. He is still a good depth piece is an above value position. An expensive one, sure, but 1 injury and his need is a lot higher. With the need of a RHD for at least 3 teams right now, why rush it?

I think if Chatfield was a seasoned vet we trusted, Bear would already be in there.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
There isn’t a rush to do so until Patches is ready to go. He is still a good depth piece is an above value position. An expensive one, sure, but 1 injury and his need is a lot higher. With the need of a RHD for at least 3 teams right now, why rush it?

I think if Chatfield was a seasoned vet we trusted, Bear would already be in there.
After watching Chatfield last night, I thought he was less "scrambly". I'm trusting him more and more.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I agree. But one unfortunate injury to a defensive responsible defender, are we trusting Bear or Coghlan with that role?
Coghlan has looked incredibly jumpy, but I think I would still rather keep him and hope something shakes loose in Chicago with someone playing well enough to jump in or cavan fitzgerald can get healthy from whatever is up with him. Lagesson or Lajoie would make sense. If Honka keeps producing, he's maybe in the mix. I just don't like bear at $2.2 million.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast

What a great name for a DL. The CHI Bears will take him. ;)
If Bear Just wants to play hockey, he should suck less and not arbitrate QO's that are more than double his value. There's a reason Bear is still here, and it's that boat anchor QO we signed.

Chatfield seems like he should have a point by now, and seems to be the guy that won't get rotated out. I think with Coghlan and CDH, both are better than Bear. I want to see more of Coglhlan on PP2 maybe.

At some point, we may end up Just waiving Bear. He doesn't want to be here, and we don't want him. The only reason he's not in Chicago is we are trying to get something for him. If we retain salary, that's serious smooth brain.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Coghlan has looked incredibly jumpy, but I think I would still rather keep him and hope something shakes loose in Chicago with someone playing well enough to jump in or cavan fitzgerald can get healthy from whatever is up with him. Lagesson or Lajoie would make sense. If Honka keeps producing, he's maybe in the mix. I just don't like bear at $2.2 million.
Agreed he has not looked comfortable yet, but that is probably just from lack of playing time and being able to get in a rhythm. We really have so many options at the 5th and 6th spot we can really just roll with whomever is the hot hand. Coghlan, De Haan, Lajoie, Chatfield are all interchangeable.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The fancy stats say that the de Haan-Chatfield pairing has been one of the most effective pairings in hockey thus far this year. We obviously know that's not true and is the result of a small sample size and probably usage, I think it does also reflect Chatfield's effectiveness thus far. I haven't seen the "scrambly" thing that's been mentioned before, I think he's looked great and hasn't made any risky plays he hasn't been able to bail himself out of. I really do think we've got a legitimate every day NHLer here and a guy that can be a difference maker from the bottom pair. Should've had his first goal last night if not for a lucky knob of Demko's stick. Comfortable jumping into the play. Noticeably good skater. Buzzes around like a bee and seems like he's everywhere but that hasn't seemed to result in a lot of situations where he's out of position. I've been impressed with a combo of high-end skating and good hockey sense. It's telling that he's staying in the lineup when we've got 8 dmen right now. RBA is clearly impressed.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm pretty sure he goes to Vegas, as the future considerations.
I think I forgot to mention this, but there was a 32 thoughts podcast not too long ago where a listener asked a question about future considerations. Elliotte brought up the Pacioretty trade as one where future considerations means nothing. Yes, I am fully aware this will have no effect on you bringing this up until the end of time.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Guy can't catch a break here. He was the playoff MVP for the team last year, in my opinion, and we're already back to sticking him at 4C again.
He's fine. He's on the downside of his career, he will get a nice last deal because Brindy loves him, he's a 3/4 C on maybe the best team in the league. Also, he's rich.

What break does he need to catch, exactly?

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
He's fine. He's on the downside of his career, he will get a nice last deal because Brindy loves him, he's a 3/4 C on maybe the best team in the league. Also, he's rich.

He may have all of those things, but until the internet people stop being mean to him he still deserves our pity.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
I think I forgot to mention this, but there was a 32 thoughts podcast not too long ago where a listener asked a question about future considerations. Elliotte brought up the Pacioretty trade as one where future considerations means nothing. Yes, I am fully aware this will have no effect on you bringing this up until the end of time.
Yes. The lingering injury issue on Pacioretty seem to have been the publicly undisclosed portion in the trade, making the whole deal sensible.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009

In the context of the fan base routinely trying to make him a 4th liner. In every way that matters, yes, he's doing just fine.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Just a NHL fan making rounds on watching teams that interest me. Carolina is one of them. Looking to watch one of their next games (unfortunatly that's a few days out).

Has Necas been emerging or just off to a hot start? The few games I watched last year all these young kids are so solid and you would think it's just a matter of time before a couple take another step and push this team over the top.

Jarvis seems pretty interesting to me as well. Do you guys think he is a canadiate to take another step this season? Is Kotkaniemi playing up to the level of atleast an ok 2C?

Interested to see what Pacioretty brings to this team. I can't recall if he plays both RW or LW or just LW. Where do you guys expect he slots into the lineup? Who does he push down.

Any of your guys within the bottom 6 unique/notable?

What do you guys think your team identity is? What do you guys think other teams dread when playing Carolina?

I like to have solid 3 teams I root for during the playoffs and watch every one of their games. Carolina was close to making that list last year but I think they will this year.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The fancy stats say that the de Haan-Chatfield pairing has been one of the most effective pairings in hockey thus far this year. We obviously know that's not true and is the result of a small sample size and probably usage, I think it does also reflect Chatfield's effectiveness thus far. I haven't seen the "scrambly" thing that's been mentioned before, I think he's looked great and hasn't made any risky plays he hasn't been able to bail himself out of. I really do think we've got a legitimate every day NHLer here and a guy that can be a difference maker from the bottom pair. Should've had his first goal last night if not for a lucky knob of Demko's stick. Comfortable jumping into the play. Noticeably good skater. Buzzes around like a bee and seems like he's everywhere but that hasn't seemed to result in a lot of situations where he's out of position. I've been impressed with a combo of high-end skating and good hockey sense. It's telling that he's staying in the lineup when we've got 8 dmen right now. RBA is clearly impressed.
He’s really mobile and I think for Rod the most important thing is he’s aggressively involved. He doesn’t sit back and watch, and jumps in both ways and at the same time hasn’t made many bad decisions. Hard to argue with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad