All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
A massive cap increase usually means that the entire league spends like drunkards that whole offseason. Knowing that fact, I'm sure that the Canes want to save as much cap as possible for Jarvis/Necas/Aho.
I believe that the Canes will do everything possible to get those guy locked up next Summer and then they will see how they could distribute the rest of the remaining cap. I believe that if you see a big jump in cap next year, the following year's increase will be somewhat muted.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Seeing our priorities of the 23-24 season then following year extensions for next off-season, I would expect quick one year extension for Pacioretty and a short term deal for CdH, likely. Spend the rest of the off-season prior to UFA possibly making a trade for another winger and then trying to extend Aho and maybe Pesce. We probably see what Skjei wants too. Those initial discussions will determine what we do at the draft.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Seeing our priorities of the 23-24 season then following year extensions for next off-season, I would expect quick one year extension for Pacioretty and a short term deal for CdH, likely. Spend the rest of the off-season prior to UFA possibly making a trade for another winger and then trying to extend Aho and maybe Pesce. We probably see what Skjei wants too. Those initial discussions will determine what we do at the draft.
I'm not sure why everyone thinks we are going to extend Patches. He was our second choice, we didn't spend any assets to get him, he is and will not be cheap, he is hurt a lot, and he will be looking for a contract longer than a year. What am I missing that makes everyone think we will sign him to a one year contract?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
I'm not sure why everyone thinks we are going to extend Patches. He was our second choice, we didn't spend any assets to get him, he is and will not be cheap, he is hurt a lot, and he will be looking for a contract longer than a year. What am I missing that makes everyone think we will sign him to a one year contract?
For all the reasons you mentioned is why teams are unlikely to sign him long term.
1. Hurt the last 2 seasons
2. 30 goal potential which will raise the asking price
3. Age compounded with number 1
4. Being a mid 30s guy, he’ll wants to win too.

He can accomplish number 4 while erasing doubts of 1 and 3, by signing a 1 year gig here. The roster will be deep enough for him to excel. He’ll still be young enough to get a decent 2-3 year deal from a young and up-and-coming team to provide leadership and goal scoring.

Is this a foregone conclusion, of course not, but I see it as a probable scenario. Of course the market plays a big factor in it. Who makes it to UFA and where is Pacioretty in the pecking order? If Larkin, Pasta, and a couple of others don’t make it to UFA, then sure he probably gets a good deal from someone because he is the best available.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
For all the reasons you mentioned is why teams are unlikely to sign him long term.
1. Hurt the last 2 seasons
2. 30 goal potential which will raise the asking price
3. Age compounded with number 1
4. Being a mid 30s guy, he’ll wants to win too.

He can accomplish number 4 while erasing doubts of 1 and 3, by signing a 1 year gig here. The roster will be deep enough for him to excel. He’ll still be young enough to get a decent 2-3 year deal from a young and up-and-coming team to provide leadership and goal scoring.

Is this a foregone conclusion, of course not, but I see it as a probable scenario. Of course the market plays a big factor in it. Who makes it to UFA and where is Pacioretty in the pecking order? If Larkin, Pasta, and a couple of others don’t make it to UFA, then sure he probably gets a good deal from someone because he is the best available.
If the cap indeed does go up by the the speculated $4M mark, I would expect this organization may go big game hunting as they tried with Eichel or Tkachuk rather than spend a significant amount on a guy like Patches. Mier or Pasta seem like guys that might be in their wheelhouse given age and production. Only if they strikeout in that type of scenario would I think they would circle back to Max. And then only if he is taking a discount like Stazny did to play for a Cup contender.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
If the cap indeed does go up by the the speculated $4M mark, I would expect this organization may go big game hunting as they tried with Eichel or Tkachuk rather than spend a significant amount on a guy like Patches. Mier or Pasta seem like guys that might be in their wheelhouse given age and production. Only if they strikeout in that type of scenario would I think they would circle back to Max. And then only if he is taking a discount like Stazny did to play for a Cup contender.
Plus, being on a contender is going to be less important to Patches after this year.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The reason why I think that it's possible that the Canes choose this next offseason to extend guys like Patches short-term is because historically, whenever there's a huge cap increase, there's also a crapload of UFA albatrosses handed out almost simultaneously. I think that it's actually more likely for Carolina to big-game hunt when the league has less cap space, not more. Also, Carolina has gone deep in the past for Eichel and Tkachuk, but at least so far, it has mainly had the effect of causing another team to significantly overpay in a trade (this is especially true, IMO, for the latter team through their inclusion of Weegar).

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Don’t get used to it.
winnie-the-pooh-eeyore.gif

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Ethan Bear for Marc Staal and a pick. It would clear cap, bring in another depth LHD to balance the depth, and be another veteran looking for a Cup ring.

We could do worse.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I know it's a joke about their lack of picks but I'd honestly do that in a heartbeat, why not?
I'd rather have an earlier 2nd or 3rd.
Florida still has their 2023 2nd, but no 1st or 3rd.
They have their 2024 3rd, but no 1st or 2nd.

So I doubt Florida is going to be interested in parting with even more picks, even for a 25 year old RD with multiple years of NHL experience who would still be under team control after this year.

Ethan Bear for Marc Staal and a pick. It would clear cap, bring in another depth LHD to balance the depth, and be another veteran looking for a Cup ring.

We could do worse.
I don't think Florida has the depth to afford to give up Staal as part of this deal.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017

We could do worse.
M Staal would be a negative asset here. I don’t think us waiving Marc Staal to make room for others would be a good look when trying to re-sign Jordan in the off-season.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
By 2027 who knows how good they’ll be. Make sure it’s not protected!
By 2027 their lack of a pipeline is going to catch up to them. They won't be terrible like Chicago but I could see them flailing in the Columbus spot where there are few ways to improve other than blowing it up and collecting futures.

Reactions: Anton Dubinchuk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad