All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I understand your point, but Slavin is coming off of a 42 point season. There's no reason to believe he won't keep that pace up (or even improve on it a little). Also, he's a beast in the playoffs putting up 27 points in 44 games, which is impressive for a defenseman not named Morrow....er, um, I mean Makar.
I'm just observing the market. NHL Rankings

Looking at that list pretty much all of the top 20+ guys put up considerably more points than Slavin. And while he did put up solid points last year, the year before he only had 15 points in 52 games. Now there are various reasons you can point to for that, but it's not unbelievable that he could put up less then 42 next year or any season going forward.

Personally, I think he's a top 3 defenseman league wide behind Hedman and Makar only. Best defensive D man in the league easily and has enough offensive chops to propel him to that elite status above other great defensive guys like Pelech, etc. But the market hasn't really paid for more defense oriented D men, and knowing Slavin I think we'll be able to keep him for a pretty reasonable deal closer to the 7.5-8 that was discussed earlier in this thread. I think he's so important to us that I'd consider paying him 11 if we absolutely had to, so 7.5-8 is a significant discount to me, but it's still a solid haul for him too.

Reactions: SlavinAway

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
I'm just observing the market. NHL Rankings
team
Looking at that list pretty much all of the top 20+ guys put up considerably more points than Slavin. And while he did put up solid points last year, the year before he only had 15 points in 52 games. Now there are various reasons you can point to for that, but it's not unbelievable that he could put up less then 42 next year or any season going forward.

Personally, I think he's a top 3 defenseman league wide behind Hedman and Makar only. Best defensive D man in the league easily and has enough offensive chops to propel him to that elite status above other great defensive guys like Pelech, etc. But the market hasn't really paid for more defense oriented D men, and knowing Slavin I think we'll be able to keep him for a pretty reasonable deal closer to the 7.5-8 that was discussed earlier in this thread. I think he's so important to us that I'd consider paying him 11 if we absolutely had to, so 7.5-8 is a significant discount to me, but it's still a solid haul for him too.
Totally agree. Slavin brings much more to the team than just points. I do not think he will be demanding 10+ millions and if he is, then the term should be short. Big money/ short term or long term with less money.

Aho already got his money contract (thanking Montreal Canadiens) and I do not think he as a person born in north Finland is going to demand anything ridiculous. He is well set in Raleigh and seems to like it there. Same with Turbo.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Totally agree. Slavin brings much more to the team than just points. I do not think he will be demanding 10+ millions and if he is, then the term should be short. Big money/ short term or long term with less money.

Aho already got his money contract (thanking Montreal Canadiens) and I do not think he as a person born in north Finland is going to demand anything ridiculous. He is well set in Raleigh and seems to like it there. Same with Turbo.
both you and Lempo (I think) have said this about Aho so it makes me more hopeful that he and the team will come to a reasonable deal quickly when the time comes.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
When it comes to Aho's next contract, to me the question is where he will fit on the priorities scale:
Marner <-------------------->Stamkos.

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
When it comes to Aho's next contract, to me the question is where he will fit on the priorities scale:
Marner <-------------------->Stamkos.

At this point, if he is looking for 8 years he will get it. I can't imagine he thinks he is worth more than Barkov, but I could see a comparable contract.

10.5x8 would be fine and exactly what he deserves as our best forward

Reactions: Svechhammer

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
At this point, if he is looking for 8 years he will get it. I can't imagine he thinks he is worth more than Barkov, but I could see a comparable contract.

10.5x8 would be fine and exactly what he deserves as our best forward

I thought Barkov might be a good comp as well.

Barkov is a higher end player one who has a 96 point season and last year 88 in 67 games (109 point pace), but Barkov's deal starts this year and was signed in 2021 when the cap was 82.5M and there was some uncertainty where-as Aho's deal will start in 24/25 when the cap will be closer to $88M and there will be more certainty going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinJaBen

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Pesce is going to get PAID. Like Faulk, I am going to miss him when he's gone.

Slavin is the only Hurricane of this generation that I've ever considered a blank check player. I just don't believe he'd use it though. Pay him fairly and I think he'll be happy.

I wonder if keeping all the D this year is actually a look at who could step up when Skjei and Pesce are gone.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I have long suspected, though, that Teravainen, Pesce, and Skjei are prime candidates to either trade or to walk in free agency, because it is on the wings and on defense where the Hurricanes actually have a strong prospect pool in. I don't know which guys actually pan out as top-liners, but even when just restricted to the first two rounds, the large bubble of players like Trikozov/Gunler/Koivunen/Suzuki (forwards) or Nikishin/Morrow/Heimosalmi (defense) gives options in those specific positions to replace a player like Teravainen or Skjei. Pesce's replacement would be more questionable outside of the best-case scenario for someone like Heimosalmi, but if they have enough trust in their youngsters, maybe they acquire a 1-2 year stopgap via trade or UFA. If you restrict the big UFA re-signings to simply Aho and Slavin, all of a sudden there's way more salary cap to invest in long-term RFA investments for players like Jarvis and premium depth additions.
We’ll have done really well if one or two of those guys make it as every day players, let alone top six or top four duty.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Pesce is going to get PAID. Like Faulk, I am going to miss him when he's gone.

Slavin is the only Hurricane of this generation that I've ever considered a blank check player. I just don't believe he'd use it though. Pay him fairly and I think he'll be happy.

I wonder if keeping all the D this year is actually a look at who could step up when Skjei and Pesce are gone.

I’m interested to see what Pesce actually gets paid. He’ll be 29, he doesn’t have the counting stats to drive up value and I don’t know that there’s precedent for contracts for guys like him going that far beyond a number starting with a 5. We will see.

Reactions: cptjeff

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I’m interested to see what Pesce actually gets paid. He’ll be 29, he doesn’t have the counting stats to drive up value and I don’t know that there’s precedent for contracts for guys like him going that far beyond a number starting with a 5. We will see.
I just don't think Pesce is going to get a monster contract. I think $5.75 to $6.75 is probably the range and I'd hope it would be at the lower end of that range.

Reactions: Discipline Daddy

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I can think of a few guys you can make a case for him being similar to that got big contracts. Vlasic at 7 several years ago. Brodin at 6 seems somewhat comparable. Maybe Brent Seabrook at $6.875 quite some time ago. Ekholm at 6.25. With the cap rise, I could see him being at the high end of this range or beyond if he wants it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
yeah, I was going to point to Lindell, $5.8M in 2019 and Brodin, $6M in 2020 as possible comps to Pesce. I think Brodin is a bit higher end player, but Pesce is a RHD and will be signing his contract in 2023 or 2024 so those two factors may put him in that ballpark.

I think the range @NotOpie listed seems like a reasonable guess ($5.75M to $6.75M). Captain obvious, but it only takes one team desperate in UFA to push it over that so that won't surprise me.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think the range @NotOpie listed seems like a reasonable guess ($5.75M to $6.75M). Captain obvious, but it only takes one team desperate in UFA to push it over that so that won't surprise me.
And that's just it....some damn GM is going to look at the proposed rising cap and think that an extra year and/or an extra $500K or so will be fine....I also noted, Pesce, I believe has played only 2 full seasons without injury....maybe 3 as I can't remember that 1st partial season. That may depress value a tad.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'd be fine with stretching to the higher range of that AAV, assuming the rising cap doesn't push it too much further. I don't think I'd be able to stomach the term he might be able to get.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Good time to re open this with the projections on escrow coming out and the possibility of another 4m on the cap next season.

The additional 3 million may be the difference between being able to bring Fast back for a couple more years or MaxPac back for a couple more years.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Part of me wonders if Carolina takes either another huge 1 year flier on someone like Pavelski and/or a significant cap dump for a draft pick if the cap goes up again. A massive cap increase usually means that the entire league spends like drunkards that whole offseason. Knowing that fact, I'm sure that the Canes want to save as much cap as possible for Jarvis/Necas/Aho.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Good time to re open this with the projections on escrow coming out and the possibility of another 4m on the cap next season.

The additional 3 million may be the difference between being able to bring Fast back for a couple more years or MaxPac back for a couple more years.
If we dont retain MaxPac, I'd think going after Timo Meier would be a wise move.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Part of me wonders if Carolina takes either another huge 1 year flier on someone like Pavelski and/or a significant cap dump for a draft pick if the cap goes up again. A massive cap increase usually means that the entire league spends like drunkards that whole offseason. Knowing that fact, I'm sure that the Canes want to save as much cap as possible for Jarvis/Necas/Aho.
I dont think Pavelski will need a huge flier but I definitely see Burns recruiting Pavelski to play for us for a year.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Max Pac isnt likely to get a big or long term deal from anyone after 2 seasons of missing most of the season.

he is a likely 1 year deal candidate as well to prove he can get healthy to get another multi year deal.

Canes would love to bring back Patches if it's a 1 year contract. Their big expirings of Necas/Jarvis/Aho won't get their 8-year mega-contracts until the offseason after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad