All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XII - The UFA frenzy aftermath

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Not only does Noesen have a 1-way contract for the 2nd year of his deal, but he has a guaranteed minimum of $550k next season. Based on that it sounds to me like the Borg might be expecting him to play in Raleigh at least a part of next season. Don't know where he'd fit in, but he did put up 57 goals in 88 games for the Wolves (yeah, it's the AHL, but still). And it's not like he's a rookie; he's got 211 NHL games under his belt. This will be an interesting one to watch.
He's basically going to be the first winger call up, and he'll have a chance to compete for the 13th forward spot. I don't think his salary in the 2nd year really means much though. It was probably just put in there to make it a more competitive offer. He'll be 30 next year and has mostly been a AAAA type player for a few years now.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That's one angle to look at it. Another way to look at it is that Colorado finally decided that it was "their time" after looking at how they were performing compared to the rest of the league. If Colorado had timed their deadline adds poorly, they very well could've had a Florida or Columbus situation (though the timing for both was severely aggravated by decades of roster mismanagements by prior Florida regimes and the pending Panarin/Bobrovsky UFA departures, respectively).
I know I'm a visitor here. And I apologize for intruding. But I stumbled upon this. And I'm commenting, not to disagree with you but to add more to what you said. You said, "decided that it was "their time". I like your phrasing. But I would take it further. I think what happened is that JS saw the price that Tampa was repeatedly paying for "this year". He had been all about asset management. But I think he realized that he owed it to the guys on the team right now and not the players of the future. I think that was the pivot. Asset management is something that can suck you in.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Though I'm deeply skeptical of publicly-available analytics, especially in the case of bad teams, I get what you're saying about Burns being somewhat questionable from a defensive POV last year. My point, though, is that the Canes can shelter his minutes and use him in a far more effective way than what San Jose could do. If the Sharks retain 50%, too, he'd come at a million less than DeAngelo's new contract with Philly. Also, if Morrow is NHL-ready a year earlier than anticipated, you can shelter Burns further in the last year and actually place him on the bottom-pair.
The play of D men also tends to improve significantly when they go from playing 27 minutes a game to playing 20 minutes a game. If you think that Burns is slow, it's also worth thinking about the role fatigue plays in that.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The play of D men also tends to improve significantly when they go from playing 27 minutes a game to playing 20 minutes a game. If you think that Burns is slow, it's also worth thinking about the role fatigue plays in that.
He wouldn’t be playing but around 20 mins. He would get EV time with Slavin and PP time.

15 EV time and 5 PP time a game likely.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Not only does Noesen have a 1-way contract for the 2nd year of his deal, but he has a guaranteed minimum of $550k next season. Based on that it sounds to me like the Borg might be expecting him to play in Raleigh at least a part of next season. Don't know where he'd fit in, but he did put up 57 goals in 88 games for the Wolves (yeah, it's the AHL, but still). And it's not like he's a rookie; he's got 211 NHL games under his belt. This will be an interesting one to watch.
As has been said many times before, I’d take Noesen at $800k over Martinooks $1.8M all day every single day. Hell I’d probably take Noesen if they were both signed for $800k. He brings just as much physicality as Martinook, maybe even more, and he’s got a decent scoring touch.

God I hate that Martinook contract.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I know I'm a visitor here. And I apologize for intruding. But I stumbled upon this. And I'm commenting, not to disagree with you but to add more to what you said. You said, "decided that it was "their time". I like your phrasing. But I would take it further. I think what happened is that JS saw the price that Tampa was repeatedly paying for "this year". He had been all about asset management. But I think he realized that he owed it to the guys on the team right now and not the players of the future. I think that was the pivot. Asset management is something that can suck you in.
There’s also what, one year left on that Mac contract? Two for Toews, who is still criminally underrated imo. Not to take anything away from Makar, but it’s a hell of a lot easier to be the best defenseman in the NHL when your partner could be the #1 on over half the teams in the league.

I’m so glad Sakic decided to go all in this year, if I had to pull for any other team in the league COL would probably be it.

chaz4hockey

Old man but still a PP2 Candidate
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
As has been said many times before, I’d take Noesen at $800k over Martinooks $1.8M all day every single day. Hell I’d probably take Noesen if they were both signed for $800k. He brings just as much physicality as Martinook, maybe even more, and he’s got a decent scoring touch.

God I hate that Martinook contract.
I’d upvote your post every hour if allowed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
He wouldn’t be playing but around 20 mins. He would get EV time with Slavin and PP time.

15 EV time and 5 PP time a game likely.

He'll probably be around 20-21 min if traded here. Maybe a little more than Tony (who had 19:49).

Re: the PP though, No defensemen in the NHL got 4 min/game on the PP. Carlson barely missed it at 3:59 and Maker at 3:50. Highest Cane was TDA at 3:03 / game.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
According to ProSports Daily the salary cap could increase up to 10 million over the next 3 years

The NHL is preparing for a significant salary cap increase over the next three seasons, sources told Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman and Rory Boylen.

Teams reportedly received projections of the approximate salary cap through 2025-26. These values aren't guarantees but reflect the league's estimations. The 2022-23 salary cap is $82.5 million, an increase of $1 million from last season.

YEARPOSSIBLE SALARY CAP
2023-24$83.5 million
2024-25$87.5 million-$88 million
2025-26Approximately $92 million
According to this projection, the salary cap would begin to increase by more than $1 million per season beginning in 2024-25. This would be the first multimillion jump in the salary cap since 2019. Notable free agents for the 2024 offseason include Auston Matthews, Steven Stamkos, and Sebastian Aho.

By 2025, a projected salary cap of $92 million would represent a nearly $10-million raise over three seasons. The summer of 2025 is set up to be massive, with major stars including Victor Hedman, Leon Draisaitl, Mitch Marner, and Sidney Crosby up for new contracts.
This season represents the first increase to the salary cap since the 2019-20 campaign. Players were paid full salaries in the shortened 2019-20 and 2020-21 seasons, resulting in an imbalance in the revenue split between the players and owners. The league introduced a flat salary cap until hockey-related revenue surpassed $3.3 billion in the preceding season as well as a series of escrow clawbacks to even things out.

With Aho, Tevo and Pesce coming up after the 23-24 season, this increase could allow the Canes to keep their core players for up to another 8 years giving them a long reign Stanley Cup chance

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Our guys needing new contracts in summer of 2024: Aho, TT, Necas, Jarvis, Skjei, Pesce, Drury

Our guys needing new contracts in summer of 2025: Slavin

Now, the odds of every single one of these guys actually still being on the team and/or re-signing with us at these times are slim to none. But this will give us the breathing room to keep the guys we want to keep and not be squeezed by the cap into decisions we don't actually want to make for our roster.

Of that group:

Likely small uptick in AAV: Aho, TT, Skjei, Pesce

Likely large increase in AAV: Necas, Jarvis, Drury, Slavin

An extra $5m in 2024 compared to what we have today will be very helpful in getting those larger deals done (Necas, Jarvis). The extra $4-5m after that will probably guarantee we can keep Slavin assuming he's still performing at an elite level.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Cap Friendly has already updated to the new projections.
projected:

23-24 - 30.758 million
24-25 - 64.35 million
25-26 - 79.43 million

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How does it affect us? I think we make a bold move this off-season to get another star. We could sign Pasta at at 11 million and not worry about it or trade for Meier and sign him to close 9 million.

I have run some ACGMs on capfriendly (oddly I picked 87.5 million 3 weeks ago for 24-25) and we could have issues trying to fill that number and save cap for 25-26, if Kochetkov works out.

We have gone fairly conservative with contracts and it will be interesting to watch how these numbers affect ours and other teams' actions. I doubt we get silly but we will have a 2016 NBA esque off-season coming? The cap jumped some 30+% in the NBA that year and dudes were getting some really bad contracts. We may miss out on some depth UFAs signings because of silly money. Do we go for broke this off-season to get ahead of it?

Reactions: mikeyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad