All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The question is whether you feel the forward you acquire is worth Bean + Nino or Bean + Foegele?

Because Nino or Foegele will be exposed, and likely picked over Geekie, if a Bean deal is made. If you want to try to get Seattle to take Gardiner, it's going to be expensive either way.

If the acquired forward isn't better than Nino/Foegele, you're downgrading the forwards just to spite Seattle.

Put one in the deal for the upgrade. Bean + Foegele + 1st or 2nd for Reinhart shouldn't be too far off.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Put one in the deal for the upgrade. Bean + Foegele + 1st or 2nd for Reinhart shouldn't be too far off.

Then you're losing Bean, Foegele, Nino (to Seattle) and a 1st/2nd to get back Reinhart.

When you add losing Nino in the expansion draft does the deal come out favorable to just losing Bean to Seattle, and keeping Nino, Foegele, and a 1st?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Then you're losing Bean, Foegele, Nino (to Seattle) and a 1st/2nd to get back Reinhart.

When you add losing Nino in the expansion draft does the deal come out favorable to just losing Bean to Seattle, and keeping Nino, Foegele, and a 1st?

That's a good question and maybe the answer is yes? Not sure though.

Assuming we lose Bean in either scenario, the question becomes are the Canes better short term and for the next couple of years with Reinhart vs. Nino, Foegele and a 1st/2nd.

Nino is a UFA after next season and will be 30 to starts next deal, so I would guess the Canes may not be keeping him after next season anyhow and with Jarvis, Rees, Suzuki, Cotton, Drury (hopefully), etc... in the system and Lorentz and Geekie showing they are legit NHLrs, the team might be better off having Reinhart.

Hard to say though as Reinhart will want a raise and what are the ramifications of a move like that long term.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

What 7 are you protecting that you lose Nino? Maybe I am missing someone but in that case I'd have Reinhart, Aho, Staal, Teravainen, Niederreiter, Trocheck and Svechnikov. Geekie vs. Nino is a debate, but the argument there would be the same for Seattle taking Nino - that it opens $5.25 million in Cap space.

Bean + Foegele + Geekie/Nino + 1st or 2nd for Reinhart + getting past the expansion Draft. Not a bad price IMO. Just an example though.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
What 7 are you protecting that you lose Nino? Maybe I am missing someone but in that case I'd have Reinhart, Aho, Staal, Teravainen, Niederreiter, Trocheck and Svechnikov. Geekie vs. Nino is a debate, but the argument there would be the same for Seattle taking Nino - that it opens $5.25 million in Cap space.

Bean + Foegele + Geekie/Nino + 1st or 2nd for Reinhart + getting past the expansion Draft. Not a bad price IMO. Just an example though.

No, I think you're right; I had another in my head I cannot identify now, so I think I just miscounted it.

So instead it's Foegele + Bean + 1st/2nd + Geekie for Reinhart vs just losing Bean. Or as Boom Boom said, Foegele + 1st/2nd + Geekie for Reinhart (reducing Bean from both equations.) That does seem more palatable than with Nino in there for me.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Unless we are looking to move Trochek, I don't see how we could bring in Reinhart without creating chaos with our lines. In reality, we're probably going to need to send out someone in our Top 6 if we are looking to bring in someone we are looking to slot into the Top 6.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Unless we are looking to move Trochek, I don't see how we could bring in Reinhart without creating chaos with our lines. In reality, we're probably going to need to send out someone in our Top 6 if we are looking to bring in someone we are looking to slot into the Top 6.

top 6 vs. top 9 are kinda irrelevant on this team, particularly how Rod mixes and matches throughout the season and how injuries occur, as we've seen this year with TT, Trocheck and now Nino.

Jordan Staal played only 30s less per game (so 1 shift) at ES than Trocheck. Foegele played only 40s / game less per shift at ES than Teravainen (so 1-2 shifts). There's not a whole lot of difference in terms of ES TOI, although usage (DZONE vs. OZONE starts will be different.

I think even with all the crap going on in Buffalo, they won't be too keen on a Bean, Foegele and late 1st offer though.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If they’re going to pull a fast one on Francis and move Bean prior to the expansion draft, I’d think it’d be to a team like the Devils or the Kings.

However, I'll say again, that I think they’ll end up protecting Bean and exposing Skjei and Gardiner, even though that may not some here would recommend, me included.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well we’re probably going to have to trade for a defenseman too...so a forward may be going in that transaction.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Well we’re probably going to have to trade for a defenseman too...so a forward may be going in that transaction.

True. As Dundon has shown, he doesn't have a lot of patience. The team made very few changes this off-season with the thought that with a shortened season, less changes might be beneficial as the team didn't need to "gel". Every other season though, he/Waddell have made more substantial changes.

If the Canes lose in round 2 again, I can see him wanting to make bigger changes than we saw last year.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Possibly. I guess all I'm trying to say is that when we're talking about trying to fit someone new under the cap when we bring them in, we also need to consider the very real possibility that anyone we bring in won't be an addition, but likely a replacement/upgrade, so we'll also be sending money out while we bring money in.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
True. As Dundon has shown, he doesn't have a lot of patience. The team made very few changes this off-season with the thought that with a shortened season, less changes might be beneficial as the team didn't need to "gel". Every other season though, he/Waddell have made more substantial changes.

If the Canes lose in round 2 again, I can see him wanting to make bigger changes than we saw last year.

I mean pretty hard for us not to do so. Honestly I still think we send our first to Seattle to take Gardner, and we use some of the cap cleared to sign someone like Coleman + re-up McGinn. Who knows what other shuffling might be going on. If we lose Hamilton I absolutely see us going hard at Dumba, and I wouldn't count out any prospect aside from Jarvis (who I legit expect to be on the roster) being moved out in that trade. Another name to keep an eye on since he's an RFA that plays both left and right (LHS though) would be Dunn.

I could see us rolling in to next season with something like this:

Svech - Aho - Turbo
Nino - Trocheck - Necas
Jarvis - Staal - Coleman
Foegele - Lorentz - McGinn
Geekie, Fast

Slavin - Dunn/Dumba/Hamilton
Skjei - Pesce
Bean - Haakanpa
Sellgren

Mrazek
Ned

And even that doesn't feel like enough of a shakeup for what to expect.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I mean pretty hard for us not to do so. Honestly I still think we send our first to Seattle to take Gardner, and we use some of the cap cleared to sign someone like Coleman + re-up McGinn. Who knows what other shuffling might be going on. If we lose Hamilton I absolutely see us going hard at Dumba, and I wouldn't count out any prospect aside from Jarvis (who I legit expect to be on the roster) being moved out in that trade. Another name to keep an eye on since he's an RFA that plays both left and right (LHS though) would be Dunn.

How much would you be willing to pay to get Francis to take Gardiner? Seems like a very late first isn’t nearly enough when he can just grab Bean or Skjei and not take Gardiner’s contract. In Francis’s eyes, Skjei’s value is probably a mid 1st and Bean’s is probably a very late first or a second, so they can get equivalent value (or near equivalent) without taking on Gardiner. We’ve done all the development on Bean so that’s attractive to Seattle.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Mrazek needs to get paid. I don't think this should be the team to do it. Nedeljkovic has played his way into a platoon role at least. They may be able to cut cap and/or term in free agency for the other half of it. This is an appealing opportunity for a goalie looking to rebuild his value for a bigger future payday. Raanta sticks out as a guy coming off a tough year. Andersen might fit that category as well.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Chris Johnston was on SDP over the weekend. He said the Leafs may possibly be looking under the couch cushions to try to scrape together enough for Dougie at $8.5M if they could move some folks out (he made the money work). Sounded like that would be the absolute max that they could afford or would offer. He reiterated the Canes last offer was around $6.5ish.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Chris Johnston was on SDP over the weekend. He said the Leafs may possibly be looking under the couch cushions to try to scrape together enough for Dougie at $8.5M if they could move some folks out (he made the money work). Sounded like that would be the absolute max that they could afford or would offer. He reiterated the Canes last offer was around $6.5ish.
If they're trying to fix the defense, that ain't the move, chief.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Mrazek needs to get paid. I don't think this should be the team to do it. Nedeljkovic has played his way into a platoon role at least. They may be able to cut cap and/or term in free agency for the other half of it. This is an appealing opportunity for a goalie looking to rebuild his value for a bigger future payday. Raanta sticks out as a guy coming off a tough year. Andersen might fit that category as well.
Andersen is still going to get a reputation pay day similar to what Holtby got. Bernier and Ullmark are the 2 I'd be looking at if Mrazek moves on.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Andersen is still going to get a reputation pay day similar to what Holtby got. Bernier and Ullmark are the 2 I'd be looking at if Mrazek moves on.
I wouldn’t be upset if we picked up Driedger when he leaves Florida. And I like Ullmark as well. That said, it will be Ned and Reimer. Ned because of his performance, and James because we can get him probably cheaper than this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad