All Purpose Trade / Roster Building Thread II - The Search for More Depth

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I'd be looking at Ullmark anyway. He was one of the few bright spots in a horrid Buffalo team this year. He has potential to go places
I like him, too. But I doubt he is going to be cheap enough for this front office. Especially if we are pairing him with newly minted Calder finalist and playoff starter Alex Nedeljkovic who needs a new contract. Even being an RFA, that's probably at least $3M per year on the next contract now. Unless we want to add "paying more in net next year than we did this year" to our growing budgetary issues, Ullmark and Petr and a lot of other goalies are not likely to be our #1b or #2 guy in Net to backup Ned. So if we are going to go cheaper (we are) then I think it will be with a guy we know.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I wouldn’t be upset if we picked up Driedger when he leaves Florida. And I like Ullmark as well. That said, it will be Ned and Reimer. Ned because of his performance, and James because we can get him probably cheaper than this year.

Somebody is going to throw a lot of money at Driedger. I can see the same happening with Mrazek, although he might fly under the radar as he did the last two July 1 he was UFA.

Ullmark, Bernier, Reimer make sense if Mrazek is not coming back. Reimer makes sense as a veteran backup if you believe Ned is the long-term solution. If you don't, looking for someone who can take more of a workload (if needed) than Reimer makes sense.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I like him, too. But I doubt he is going to be cheap enough for this front office. Especially if we are pairing him with newly minted Calder finalist and playoff starter Alex Nedeljkovic who needs a new contract. Even being an RFA, that's probably at least $3M per year on the next contract now. Unless we want to add "paying more in net next year than we did this year" to our growing budgetary issues, Ullmark and Petr and a lot of other goalies are not likely to be our #1b or #2 guy in Net to backup Ned. So if we are going to go cheaper (we are) then I think it will be with a guy we know.
I'd kick the tires to see what he's looking for. If we could get him and Ned in the fold for less than Mrazek and Reimer cost, I'd do it. But at the same time, I also don't know how reasonable it is to think we can have a good starter and backup combo in the fold for less than those 2 made the past couple years. They were really cheap for the value they provided.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I wouldn’t be surprised if they take a run at a 1 year “prove it/get back in your feet” deal with Andersen. They were interested in him last offseason and he is likely looking at a pay cut from his $5M this past season. How much of a pay cut he’d accept and the cost of Ned’s new deal would of course factor in.

I think, Andersen could be a good backup plan if Ned falters, hopefully behind a much better back-end than he’s used to playing with in Toronto.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if they take a run at a 1 year “prove it/get back in your feet” deal with Andersen. They were interested in him last offseason and he is likely looking at a pay cut from his $5M this past season. How much of a pay cut he’d accept and the cost of Ned’s new deal would of course factor in.

I think, Andersen could be a good backup plan if Ned falters, hopefully behind a much better back-end than he’s used to playing with in Toronto.
If Ned, who has 30 some starts, is our guy going forward hopefully we get a guy that is more definite to play backup. 2 unknown goalie situations can spell disaster

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
My preliminary UFA wishlist (assuming Hamilton is gone):

1) Barrie and Ryan Murray (or similar vet D-this is a must to compensate for Barrie’s shortcomings and to solidify the 3rd pair)

2) Brandon Saad

3) Andersen or Bernier as a 1B G

4) re-sign Hakanpaa and McGinn

I’d buyout Gardiner and let Seattle have Bean.

Far more likely they make trades though.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild fan coming in peace. I hadn't thought of CAR as a resting place for Dumba, but if Hamilton is asking for crazy money in a flat cap world then he might be a good option. He is used to playing 22-24 minutes per night, PP, PK. He is a weird combination of a great skater and a guy who trips over his feet at times. Instinctive offensively- the sort of guy you want out there on 3 v 3's- a bit less of a natural defender, but has gotten better over the years so he is now above average. Has the odd brain fart, but his natural athleticism gets him out of a lot of jams.

Likes open ice hits, shooting from the point, and long walks on the beach.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Wild fan coming in peace. I hadn't thought of CAR as a resting place for Dumba, but if Hamilton is asking for crazy money in a flat cap world then he might be a good option. He is used to playing 22-24 minutes per night, PP, PK. He is a weird combination of a great skater and a guy who trips over his feet at times. Instinctive offensively- the sort of guy you want out there on 3 v 3's- a bit less of a natural defender, but has gotten better over the years so he is now above average. Has the odd brain fart, but his natural athleticism gets him out of a lot of jams.

Likes open ice hits, shooting from the point, and long walks on the beach.
Why do the Wild want to get rid of him?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why do the Wild want to get rid of him?
Our beat writer insists that Guerin wants to keep him, but Minnesota has way too much cap committed to its defense. $27m spent on its top-4 and Dumba's the only one without a full NMC, and even he has a modified NTC that kicks in this July. With multiple forwards needing substantial raises and the Wild still not having a real top-6 center in the mix, it just doesn't seem tenable to keep him around past this summer.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Our beat writer insists that Guerin wants to keep him, but Minnesota has way too much cap committed to its defense. $27m spent on its top-4 and Dumba's the only one without a full NMC, and even he has a modified NTC that kicks in this July. With multiple forwards needing substantial raises and the Wild still not having a real top-6 center in the mix, it just doesn't seem tenable to keep him around past this summer.
I would be interested if he would take the number 55

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
That depends on his much longer Suter is going to play? 4 years left but $10 mill total of salary. $6 mill next season then $2,$1,$1 for the final 3.

figure he’s playing next season then potentially ends up with some ltir wear and tear like Callahan ie Seabrook.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
That depends on his much longer Suter is going to play? 4 years left but $10 mill total of salary. $6 mill next season then $2,$1,$1 for the final 3.

figure he’s playing next season then potentially ends up with some ltir wear and tear like Callahan ie Seabrook.
I'm not sure that it matters if Suter plays out the rest of his contract or retires early. Even if he retires the cap recapture rules mean that we're still hit with a $7.5m cap penalty for some number of years (the exact number depends on some complicated math that isn't really worth getting into). And his contract structure makes a buyout mostly moot after this season.

Barring a trade (which seems very unlikely and carries risks of its own) he's going to account for about $7.5m of our cap space for the next 4 years.

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC

I think most of us here would be in favor of making a move for Dumba, although it would likely require cooperation with Seattle in some form since we're not in a position to protect another defenseman.

Couple questions for you, what kind of role did Dumba usually play on the PP? I watched a little bit of the Wild in the playoffs and noticed he was playing on the right halfwall while Suter manned the point. Is that Dumba's typical spot or does he play at the point often, too? And what kind of assets would the Wild want in return if they do end up moving Dumba?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think most of us here would be in favor of making a move for Dumba, although it would likely require cooperation with Seattle in some form since we're not in a position to protect another defenseman.

Couple questions for you, what kind of role did Dumba usually play on the PP? I watched a little bit of the Wild in the playoffs and noticed he was playing on the right halfwall while Suter manned the point. Is that Dumba's typical spot or does he play at the point often, too? And what kind of assets would the Wild want in return if they do end up moving Dumba?
I could be wrong but at this point I strongly suspect that Parise will end up waiving his NMC for the expansion draft and Dumba will be protected (Zuccarello/Fiala/Eriksson-Ek/Greenway + Suter/Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba). So the trade might be able to wait until after if that makes things easier.

Before this year Dumba's spot on the powerplay was in the left faceoff circle where he was one of the primary shooting options, and that's how he got most of his powerplay goals in previous seasons. Granlund was great at sneaking cross-ice passes over to him so that he was able to blast it before the PK had time to adjust; if it didn't go in there was usually a rebound. And he's usually good about keeping the puck moving when the shot isn't there. This year's powerplay was an enigma in multiple respects, but Evason playing him either out of position or not at all was very weird. I still think it was a factor in the Wild's powerplay being historically bad for the first 20 games or so.

As for the return at this point I expect it to be picks and prospects. Guerin's previously asked for a top-6 center, but I don't think that's in the cards and frankly it shouldn't have to be. Minnesota's got plenty of players, picks, and prospects to use to target whoever might be out there, so in my mind the return for Dumba would mostly be to recoup some of those future and free up some cap space. The talk on here of a 1st + a prospect makes a lot of sense to me, personally.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012

I'd lure him in under the auspices that we were really going to pay him, and then right when he gets ready to sign the contract be like "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot, you said that one time you didn't want to play for this organization. My bad" then tear the contract up and call an Uber to come pick his ass up

Buenos Necas

lets go canes
Jul 18, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I could be wrong but at this point I strongly suspect that Parise will end up waiving his NMC for the expansion draft and Dumba will be protected (Zuccarello/Fiala/Eriksson-Ek/Greenway + Suter/Spurgeon/Brodin/Dumba). So the trade might be able to wait until after if that makes things easier.

Before this year Dumba's spot on the powerplay was in the left faceoff circle where he was one of the primary shooting options, and that's how he got most of his powerplay goals in previous seasons. Granlund was great at sneaking cross-ice passes over to him so that he was able to blast it before the PK had time to adjust; if it didn't go in there was usually a rebound. And he's usually good about keeping the puck moving when the shot isn't there. This year's powerplay was an enigma in multiple respects, but Evason playing him either out of position or not at all was very weird. I still think it was a factor in the Wild's powerplay being historically bad for the first 20 games or so.

As for the return at this point I expect it to be picks and prospects. Guerin's previously asked for a top-6 center, but I don't think that's in the cards and frankly it shouldn't have to be. Minnesota's got plenty of players, picks, and prospects to use to target whoever might be out there, so in my mind the return for Dumba would mostly be to recoup some of those future and free up some cap space. The talk on here of a 1st + a prospect makes a lot of sense to me, personally.

Interesting, appreciate the thorough reply. I think that's a move the Canes would be pretty interested in pursuing. My memory of the 2020 deadline was Russo mentioning the Canes had interest in both Dumba and Brodin, and we were shopping our 1st for a top 4 D at the time and ended up settling on Skjei. Only having 2 years left might be a bit of a deterrent since this front office usually targets players with more term, but with so few viable options to replace Dougie's spot in the lineup I think they'd still be willing to part with a 1st and a prospect.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure that it matters if Suter plays out the rest of his contract or retires early. Even if he retires the cap recapture rules mean that we're still hit with a $7.5m cap penalty for some number of years (the exact number depends on some complicated math that isn't really worth getting into). And his contract structure makes a buyout mostly moot after this season.

Barring a trade (which seems very unlikely and carries risks of its own) he's going to account for about $7.5m of our cap space for the next 4 years.
Recapture occurs if he officially retires without collecting money from either the team or insurance. Same applies with Parise. Luongo for whatever reason or benefit to the panthers opted to tender his retirement papers vs going on Ltir.

what I’m implying is that Suter ends up on ltir like Seabrook or Callahan for the final years of his career citing some wear and tear issue on his body. If he does then the Wild won’t have $24 mill committed to their D.
Suter has stayed healthy but he’s played a tonne of minutes each season.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Recapture occurs if he officially retires without collecting money from either the team or insurance. Same applies with Parise. Luongo for whatever reason or benefit to the panthers opted to tender his retirement papers vs going on Ltir.

what I’m implying is that Suter ends up on ltir like Seabrook or Callahan for the final years of his career citing some wear and tear issue on his body. If he does then the Wild won’t have $24 mill committed to their D.
Suter has stayed healthy but he’s played a tonne of minutes each season.
I suppose it's possible. Suter did have a pretty ugly ankle injury a year or so ago and he's looked a little slower since recovering from that.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Of the UFAs, who stays, who goes?

I'd like to keep either Martinook or McGinn, but not both. Paquette, if he wants to stay with a minimal pay raise. I know he didn't look great in the playoffs but I think he was probably playing injured. Hakanpaa for sure, I think he checks off an awful lot of boxes. Reimer, if he's willing to be a dirt cheap #3.

Dougie obviously is his own conversation; I'm all for keeping him if it doesn't mean a huge overpay in terms of either dollars or years commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad