Rumor: All Purpose Trade Proposals, Speculation and Rumours - 2023/24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The finals is going stupid late this year. There is essentially a week and a half until FA starts. If the league didn't want this, they should have scheduled better. Teams are running out of time to make deals.

I want Chabot to anchor the second pairing.
Yeah, if it goes to game 7 that leaves only 4 days until the draft and 7 days before free agency and pushes the buyout period until just 2 days before the draft. The league has left the GMs no choice but to start making moves now.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The finals is going stupid late this year. There is essentially a week and a half until FA starts. If the league didn't want this, they should have scheduled better. Teams are running out of time to make deals.

I want Chabot to anchor the second pairing.

I think Chabot and Sanderson are the only two they won't move.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. They may want to get rid of his contract prior to his NTC kicking in ala Dubois.
It would be a bold bold move by Chevy, but Morrissey, Chabot, Samberg down the left side would be as good as it gets in the league. If you re-sign DeMelo, now you have the makings of a potentially elite defense, especially if Heinola hits on the right side.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
On the topic of Chabot. It seems clear that this org is focusing more on a Vegas style defensive first approach to try to win the cup. Vegas did so in large part due to having number 1 dmen drive each of their top two pairings. I believe getting a Chabot who imo is a top pairing guy that may just need a change in pace to get back to number 1 level would give us something similar. Throw in Snerg who's shown he can carry a third pairing and we would have the makings of three strong pairs provided we can keep Demelo and get another solid RD.

I think trying to build a top 5 to 10 dcore with Helle would help offset the lack of talent upfront and give our forward depth a better chance at success. I don't think we have the system quality to outskill our competition upfront but I think we could outshine them defensively and in net with a key acquisition or two.

It would be a bold bold move by Chevy, but Morrissey, Chabot, Samberg down the left side would be as good as it gets in the league. If you re-sign DeMelo, now you have the makings of a potentially elite defense, especially if Heinola hits on the right side.

You just read my mind. See the post I just made lol.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

I would 100% explore it if it was me, Sens have been a tire fire overall, put him on a good team like the Jets and watch him put up Josh numbers or similar

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I would 100% explore it if it was me, Sens have been a tire fire overall, put him on a good team like the Jets and watch him put up Josh numbers or similar
My only concern with Chabot is his injury history. Last few years he hasn’t come close to playing a full year.

BUT, if you can keep him somewhat healthy for a full season, JMo numbers are certainly a possibility and JMo, Chabot and Samberg would be an outstanding LD group. Add DeMelo, and strong development from Salomonsson and Heinola, and Jets would finally have a d group that would be the envy of many teams.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
On the topic of Chabot. It seems clear that this org is focusing more on a Vegas style defensive first approach to try to win the cup. Vegas did so in large part due to having number 1 dmen drive each of their top two pairings. I believe getting a Chabot who imo is a top pairing guy that may just need a change in pace to get back to number 1 level would give us something similar. Throw in Snerg who's shown he can carry a third pairing and we would have the makings of three strong pairs provided we can keep Demelo and get another solid RD.

I think trying to build a top 5 to 10 dcore with Helle would help offset the lack of talent upfront and give our forward depth a better chance at success. I don't think we have the system quality to outskill our competition upfront but I think we could outshine them defensively and in net with a key acquisition or two.

You just read my mind. See the post I just made lol.
With Hamilton guys running the Sens I'd say anything is possible with that organization now...Any predictions on where Tkachuk will go? If he goes I could see the allure of acquiring Ehlers to play shotgun with Stutzle...

Chabot would be a nice #2 d-man add...maybe entice De Melo to re-sign at #3 value But I do have to say it would be a monumental shift for the Jets to pay a defenseman more than Morrissey. I think Josh is pro enough to put the ego aside, and want to win at whatever price, but I wonder how True North will crunch the numbers within their Salary Cap.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
With Hamilton guys running the Sens I'd say anything is possible with that organization now...Any predictions on where Tkachuk will go? If he goes I could see the allure of acquiring Ehlers to play shotgun with Stutzle...

Chabot would be a nice #2 d-man add...maybe entice De Melo to re-sign at #3 value But I do have to say it would be a monumental shift for the Jets to pay a defenseman more than Morrissey. I think Josh is pro enough to put the ego aside, and want to win at whatever price, but I wonder how True North will crunch the numbers within their Salary Cap.
Makes you wonder if these kinds of moves factor into the Ehlers situation

Would chevy rather extend Ehlers long term at, say, 7.75M or alocate that cap to D and let guys like Lambert and Rutger come in and try to backfill the gap in point production on ELCs

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
There’s rumors of a potential Jeff Skinner buyout in Buffalo. Jets/Thrashers have a history of interest in him going back to his draft year. Wonder if they’d still be interested if he becomes a free agent.
No thanks. Jets need to get tougher to play against. Skinner ain’t that and he brings with him a whopping ZERO games of playoffs experience.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Maybe we can send Iafallo there.

still in his prime then

brings closure to the 2017 draft. we get Laine and everything of value from ensuing trades. maybe we could send Stanley to the Caps to pick up some salary retention.

Laine for Vilardi, Iaffalo, Kupari, 2nd rounder and Laine (25% retained)

Chychrun - Frost??
I’d take a 3rd for Iafallo.

Reactions: mondo3

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Makes you wonder if these kinds of moves factor into the Ehlers situation

Would chevy rather extend Ehlers long term at, say, 7.75M or alocate that cap to D and let guys like Lambert and Rutger come in and try to backfill the gap in point production on ELCs
In general I think a lot of Winnipeg trades are tipped off by agents...it came out early in the Jets offseason that Ehlers didn't want to re-sign...that does sound like an agent trying to get his client traded...maybe Ehlers has been asked to give a shortlist of teams he'd be willing to re-sign with, to facilitate Chevy with some bargaining power. The Dubois trade to L.A. wasn't the one we were expecting after Pat Briison made some noise...difference though was that PLD was an RFA could negotiate with any team. I think you are right, the balance of going forward heavy in the draft is Chevy is going to have to invest in defense.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chabot makes 10m, 10m, 10m and 8m in the 4 remaining years of his contract.

Ehlers with 50% retained, Heinola and a 4th for Chabot with 2m retained.

Reactions: trebendan

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Jets have no hope of contending as long as Pionk is playing 2nd pairing D. Make a move to push him down or get rid of him then I'm listening. If not pretty much anything the Jets do this offseason is not worth much. With Jets losing Dillon and DeMelo still unsigned with UFA fast approaching, lots would have to fall right for the Jets for that not to be the case. Infact there is a chance that Pionk is the Jets top pairing RD to start the season if the offseason goes slightly off-course.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Chabot’s cap hit is $8 M and Ehlers is $6 but after this season any new contract will be closer to $8 M. The Jets can only retain for 1 season so I don’t see any retention either way.
I can't see the Jets paying him 38m over 4 years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In general I think a lot of Winnipeg trades are tipped off by agents...it came out early in the Jets offseason that Ehlers didn't want to re-sign...that does sound like an agent trying to get his client traded...maybe Ehlers has been asked to give a shortlist of teams he'd be willing to re-sign with, to facilitate Chevy with some bargaining power. The Dubois trade to L.A. wasn't the one we were expecting after Pat Briison made some noise...difference though was that PLD was an RFA could negotiate with any team. I think you are right, the balance of going forward heavy in the draft is Chevy is going to have to invest in defense.

I agree, it was almost assuredly leaked by his agent ala PLD last summer. The Jets have been trying to change the narrative a bit to retain leverage, but it is my expectations he's traded within the next week to two weeks.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I agree, it was almost assuredly leaked by his agent ala PLD last summer. The Jets have been trying to change the narrative a bit to retain leverage, but it is my expectations he's traded within the next week to two weeks.
After July 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad