Kingston Frontenacs 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Dalyn Wakely scratched today vs North Bay.
Van Steensel given the C- A’s to Romani, Procyszyn and Kennedy.

Would assume Wakely would get a letter if he was staying. Maybe they just trade wakely and keep the others? Come on Cooper make a move
Has Wakely been sent back by Edmonton? I figured he’d be attending their AHL camp, like Roobroeck with NY.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Mathurin, Wakely, and maybe an ‘06 D might be all NB moves; unless, they are certain Romani graduates.

It will come down to value with Romani. No sense keeping him if there is value there. I know it would be a good OA option but rebuilding picks and maybe nailing down a good young player will be more impactful from an asset perspective than a bit of a boost next year.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
It will come down to value with Romani. No sense keeping him if there is value there. I know it would be a good OA option but rebuilding picks and maybe nailing down a good young player will be more impactful from an asset perspective than a bit of a boost next year.

The value would have to be immediate, I think. Romani would be a big boost for next season. I think the only other ‘05s are Ride & Kennedy to use with their choices of the 11 signed ‘06s

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Well sometimes you get goalied. Oster was unbelievable and probably the single reason the game ended up how it did.

Player thoughts -

- Uronen is a lot more physical than I thought, lots of finished checks and no scaring away from contact

- I know it's early but any talk of Weir or Velliaris being used as trade bait needs to end. Neither did anything of substance and were just "there". Hopefully it's just early games but I'm not gonna hold my breath for valuable contributions

- McGowan is an explosive athlete - he generates so much power out of nowhere when playing the body. I have no idea what they'll do next with the 05s but I really hope he sticks around

- On the Oshawa end IMO Griffin was far and away the best Gen, looks poised for a breakout year.

Overall disappointing home opener, especially because the gameplay was a little closer than I'd have liked with Oshawa missing the guys they were. If Oshawa adds Sennecke/Ritchie/Danford I get the feeling that game is a blowout.

I saw McCuaig walking around the concourse - a little odd he's not listed on the roster but if he's the 13th forward I wonder if it's just an oversight

Reactions: OMG67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Guindon is your best center so first line definitley

Burns still has to learn to lay on the ice not in the Penalty box.

There is going to be an adjustment period as none of the lines have played together. I still think you need to put Vellaris and Uens with the top defence to gain the knowledge and spread them out.

If you have your top players on one pairing it is so easy to cover them.
At this stage, I think you have to say OK, we might get wakely, but play as if you are not going to get him. Remember if he has any huge upside there are other teams that will be interested.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Guindon is your best center so first line definitley

Burns still has to learn to lay on the ice not in the Penalty box.

There is going to be an adjustment period as none of the lines have played together. I still think you need to put Vellaris and Uens with the top defence to gain the knowledge and spread them out.

If you have your top players on one pairing it is so easy to cover them.
At this stage, I think you have to say OK, we might get wakely, but play as if you are not going to get him. Remember if he has any huge upside there are other teams that will be interested.

Wakely scored 100+ points last year. I would like to see his “upside.”

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Good game tonight. Outplayed the gens just unfortunately oster stole them the game.

I noticed in the second period when the gens scored 2 goals there were FAR too many odd man rushes. You give any team let alone Oshawa that many odd man rushes and they’ll capitalize.

Battaglia is gonna put up a lot of points this year (as I’ve predicted all along)

LOVE Pieniniemi. He plays like a real pro. As he gets more used to North American style hockey I’m sure he will get even better and better.

Griffin on the gens is gonna be a big breakout player this year I predict. Not sure how many points he will get exactly but if he plays like he did tonight- it’s gonna surprise a lot of people.

Thought it was interesting both delisle and bedkowski were playing today(rumoured to be going to Owen sound for Barlow)

My point was not if he can score. It was the fact that he has any quality that is going to be watched and wanted by the top teams . He will also not be cheap.
He’s gonna be very expensive for (hopefully the fronts) any team obviously. However one of the most important aspects of a trade like that is pushing the depth further down the lineup.

Guindon for example would be on the second line I assume then Hopkins/mcnamara line 3 as the centre.

Helps even out the scoring more and when they play teams that aren’t as deep(like peteborough) there will be even more of a separation skill wise between the bottom 6 than there is now.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My point was not if he can score. It was the fact that he has any quality that is going to be watched and wanted by the top teams . He will also not be cheap.

Some teams are in more need than others. The ones in more need are the more likely ones to overbid. Kingston is one of the teams in that boat. Barrie may need him but they don’t have the assets to make that type of move. Brampton could but they may be leaning more towards Defence. They may be able to get a 19 year old winger for slightly more so they may not be looking in that direction as hard since they don’t “need” the centre. Oshawa may be the biggest rival for Wakely.

I think if Kingston gets to the same offer as Logan Morrison, the deal likely gets done.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Good game tonight. Outplayed the gens just unfortunately oster stole them the game.

I noticed in the second period when the gens scored 2 goals there were FAR too many odd man rushes. You give any team let alone Oshawa that many odd man rushes and they’ll capitalize.

Battaglia is gonna put up a lot of points this year (as I’ve predicted all along)

LOVE Pieniniemi. He plays like a real pro. As he gets more used to North American style hockey I’m sure he will get even better and better.

Griffin on the gens is gonna be a big breakout player this year I predict. Not sure how many points he will get exactly but if he plays like he did tonight- it’s gonna surprise a lot of people.

Thought it was interesting both delisle and bedkowski were playing today(rumoured to be going to Owen sound for Barlow)

He’s gonna be very expensive for (hopefully the fronts) any team obviously. However one of the most important aspects of a trade like that is pushing the depth further down the lineup.

Guindon for example would be on the second line I assume then Hopkins/mcnamara line 3 as the centre.

Helps even out the scoring more and when they play teams that aren’t as deep(like peteborough) there will be even more of a separation skill wise between the bottom 6 than there is now.
Battaglia also needs to learn the play the other end of the ice. PP looked good but he was still on the ice when 2 of the 3 goals were scored against them.

I am still at this stage of the season not sold on Burns and Pie as one pair. Just as you mentioned about having more than one offensive depth, it would seem to me, with the number of young, weak players, that, to start the season, it would not be a bad idea to pair Burns with Vellaris and Pie with Uens.

Any word on what they are going to do with Chromiak? Ubfortyunately there are probably a lot of D that are better that are avail.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Would be very, very strange to give Gage Heyes an A and then cut him 2 days later, which is what would happen if they were to go and get Wakely

• Love

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Battaglia also needs to learn the play the other end of the ice. PP looked good but he was still on the ice when 2 of the 3 goals were scored against them.

I am still at this stage of the season not sold on Burns and Pie as one pair. Just as you mentioned about having more than one offensive depth, it would seem to me, with the number of young, weak players, that, to start the season, it would not be a bad idea to pair Burns with Vellaris and Pie with Uens.

Any word on what they are going to do with Chromiak? Ubfortyunately there are probably a lot of D that are better that are avail.
Yeah didn't love Battaglia's game 5-on-5 tonight. Lot of coasting and not being engaged, until the end when he turrnstiled D'Amato for a breakaway with a minute left.

Thought Soto was by far Kingston's best player tonight, he got robbed by Oster like 4 times and still had 2 goals

They can carry 4.
Why would they? You're scratching Guindon or Wakely to play Heyes?

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
Would be very, very strange to give Gage Heyes an A and then cut him 2 days later, which is what would happen if they were to go and get Wakely
This was my concern with the announcement - by all accounts an OA upgrade will happen this year so why bother with what could amount to a player having an A for a matter of days unless you intend on keeping Heyes for a while.

For D pairs it comes down to whether it's better to have a pair with 2 As and a pair with a C+ and a D+ or if having pairings of A/C+ and A/D+ turns out better.

Chromiak will likely end up getting released, not enough open slots around the league and Molnar is probably a better target for most

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah didn't love Battaglia's game 5-on-5 tonight. Lot of coasting and not being engaged, until the end when he turrnstiled D'Amato for a breakaway with a minute left.

Thought Soto was by far Kingston's best player tonight, he got robbed by Oster like 4 times and still had 2 goals

Why would they? You're scratching Guindon or Wakely to play Heyes?

They have three goalies. They can bring up Betts to backup Vaccari and sit Lalonde. Then when they want to play Lalonde to spell off Vaccari, they can sit Heyes. If Lalonde isn’t the starter, he plays once per week. Heyes sits once per week.

The eventual outcome is Vaccari is fine enough as a starter to find a reasonable 19 year old backup and release Lalonde. They likely release Heyes at the deadline.

At the end of the day, the Assistant Captain designation for Heyes is a tip of the cap for what he has done for the franchise up to now. If this is a true go for it season like many seem to believe, you cannot show loyalty to a depth winger, especially when you have too many holes to fill and loads of OA’s out there that can fill them at a better value than the more scarce 19 year olds.

This may not be my personal approach but if they truly are hell bent on contending, this is the most likely approach. They need a 1C and a 1D. Lalonde and Heyes are potentially blocking those two positions from getting filled with OA’s. Even if they feel they have a #1 D-Man with one of Burns or Pie, they can easily get a solid #2 “Seabrook type” OA D-Man and Burns slides down to the 2nd pairing to play with McGowan. Two key positions covered and it likely only costs a similar amount as Brampton paid for Rehkopf.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad