Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v15.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think writing him off a 6/7 already is way too harsh. His pedigree is certainly higher than that. That goes back to my "way too low" on him feeling.
He doesn't have much offense to his game, he isn't a great skater, just average. He seems pretty responsibly defensively, but unless he is Nik Hjalmarsson good defensively, he doesn't have enough in his game to make him a top 3 Dman. And not many guys are as good as Hammer was defensively.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
He doesn't have much offense to his game, he isn't a great skater, just average. He seems pretty responsibly defensively, but unless he is Nik Hjalmarsson good defensively, he doesn't have enough in his game to make him a top 3 Dman. And not many guys are as good as Hammer was defensively.
I think he skates quite well, he closes gaps quickly. I think you are holding his offense down a bit too much. He won't be QB-ing an NHL powerplay but he moves the puck well and out of the zone. Some people have had it out for him because he was rated lower on "LE MASTER LIST" from the ranking aggregators and so he seemed like an "out there" pick, but especially in a COVID year, I don't hold those to be inherently better (they're often just regurgitating each other) than whatever the Blackhawks may have had.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I honestly don’t see how anyone can watch him play and come to the bolded conclusion. He is an excellent skater.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
Just saw that our director of player personnel, Cal Filsonnis joining you guys as a Scout. Hopefully Korch can work on some of the things he needs to work on next year and you guys take good care of Dach and Allan!
Sorry about last night man, I was watching and it didn't seem like the TBirds came to play.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Feel free to stick around here once next season rolls around. You've been a quality poster.

Thanks guys! You guys have been really welcoming. Well I'm not going anywhere, Because Korchinski will likely be back next year. Also maybe Dach? Seems like he sort of had a lost year this due to his injuries.

And if you guys can place a call down to the Chicago Steel and tell them to stop signing our drafted players, that would be great (Celebrinni, Sawchyn) lol

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
He still has decent wheels, but he's no Makar or Quinn Hughes on his feet. In the NHL he would be maybe a slightly above average skater.

How did we get from him being just and “average” skater to Makar and Hughes?

Allan’s skating is an absolute asset when looking at him as a prospect. There is nothing average about it.

Reactions: Muffinalt

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Thanks guys! You guys have been really welcoming. Well I'm not going anywhere, Because Korchinski will likely be back next year. Also maybe Dach? Seems like he sort of had a lost year this due to his injuries.

And if you guys can place a call down to the Chicago Steel and tell them to stop signing our drafted players, that would be great (Celebrinni, Sawchyn) lol
Dach is an 03 (a super early one to boot), he's already signed and went through his slide twice already. So I'm pretty sure he will be in the AHL next year, as his contract would count against his ELC and I don't really see him being an Overager.

I feel like Celebrini was probably always viewed as a bit of a longshot but was a case of "hey, if you ever decide that Boston U is for nerds and you want to play Major Juniors, we got a home for you here". WHL is a bit strange with their "US Priority Draft" rather than just having them in the same draft pool like the OHL has it, so I guess I dunno for sure what they had in mind when they picked him in that thing.

Reactions: superdeluxe
Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Dach is an 03 (a super early one to boot), he's already signed and went through his slide twice already. So I'm pretty sure he will be in the AHL next year, as his contract would count against his ELC and I don't really see him being an Overager.

I feel like Celebrini was probably always viewed as a bit of a longshot but was a case of "hey, if you ever decide that Boston U is for nerds and you want to play Major Juniors, we got a home for you here". WHL is a bit strange with their "US Priority Draft" rather than just having them in the same draft pool like the OHL has it, so I guess I dunno for sure what they had in mind when they picked him in that thing.

I thought his ELC wouldn't start to track until he gets more than 9 games in the bigs?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
How did we get from him being just and “average” skater to Makar and Hughes?

Allan’s skating is an absolute asset when looking at him as a prospect. There is nothing average about it.
He will be jsut average or slightly above average skater in the NHL. He isn't an amazing skater, like a Hughes or Makar. I don't know about you, but when I say someone is an exceptional skater, that's who we have to compare them to. He isn't even close to that level.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

Dach and Allan will be graduating to the AHL.

But yeah Korchisnki will stay in Seattle, and there's always the chance for Sawchyn, Miyatovic, and Ratzlaff to become Blackhawks prospects.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
He will be jsut average or slightly above average skater in the NHL. He isn't an amazing skater, like a Hughes or Makar. I don't know about you, but when I say someone is an exceptional skater, that's who we have to compare them to. He isn't even close to that level.
There is a long way from “slightly above average” to Makar/Hughes. Allan will fall somewhere in there. I never said exceptional, I said excellent. Which it is. As I said, his skating is an asset for him as a prospect. You made it sound like it was a liability.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
There is a long way from “slightly above average” to Makar/Hughes. Allan will fall somewhere in there. I never said exceptional, I said excellent. Which it is. As I said, his skating is an asset for him as a prospect. You made it sound like it was a liability.
No, I definitely didn't. I said his skating isn't great, as in not one of the top skaters. It's just good, or average to slightly above. And that's what it is.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
No, I definitely didn't. I said his skating isn't great, as in not one of the top skaters. It's just good, or average to slightly above. And that's what it is.

Your post definitely listed his skating as a negative. It isn't. It is an asset. I find it funny how people will talk themselves in circles on this board rather than just admit that maybe they were wrong.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Your post definitely listed his skating as a negative. It isn't. It is an asset. I find it funny how people will talk themselves in circles on this board rather than just admit that maybe they were wrong.
No, it didn't. Maybe you took it that way, but that's not what I meant by it. Please show me where I said his skating is a negative? I said it isn't great, just average. Which is precisely what it is. He isn't a Makar (great skater), but he isn't a Strome either (a negative).

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
No, it didn't. Maybe you took it that way, but that's not what I meant by it. Please show me where I said his skating is a negative? I said it isn't great, just average. Which is precisely what it is. He isn't a Makar (great skater), but he isn't a Strome either (a negative).

The post I originally replied to was you responding to another poster who called you out for projecting him as a bottom pairing Dman. Literally the entire post, outside of admitting he seems pretty responsible defensively, was a justification of why you had him projected as such. Specifically, you listed the fact that he doesn't have much offence to his game and that he is not a great skater. If you want to walk that back now, that is fine, but don't pretend that I was out to lunch reading that as a negative.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The post I originally replied to was you responding to another poster who called you out for projecting him as a bottom pairing Dman. Literally the entire post, outside of admitting he seems pretty responsible defensively, was a justification of why you had him projected as such. Specifically, you listed the fact that he doesn't have much offence to his game and that he is not a great skater. If you want to walk that back now, that is fine, but don't pretend that I was out to lunch reading that as a negative.
He doesn't have much offense to his game, and he isn't a great skater. I'm not walking anything back, because he isn't a great skater like the great skaters in the NHL, and he doesn't have much offense to his game. Lol

You took that as me saying his skating sucks, that's fine. That's not what I meant. He's not blowing by guys in the NHL. Just a fact.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
He doesn't have much offense to his game, and he isn't a great skater. I'm not walking anything back, because he isn't a great skater like the great skaters in the NHL, and he doesn't have much offense to his game. Lol

You took that as me saying his skating sucks, that's fine. That's not what I meant. He's not blowing by guys in the NHL. Just a fact.

Ah, I see. So he isn't as good a skater as the great skaters in the NHL (Makar and Hughes), and that is part of your reasoning that he is a bottom pair defenseman. Makes perfect sense now. That is a perfectly reasonable jump to make.

As to the second part. I never took it as you saying that he sucks at skating, I took it as you saying that his skating was average. It isn't. It is significantly better than average, and absolutely an asset to him as a prospect. If you want to disagree with that and say his skating is not a positive, then fine. But these mental gymnastics (by pretending you were using Makar/Hughes as a reference) to try to justify what you said is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Ah, I see. So he isn't as good a skater as the great skaters in the NHL (Makar and Hughes), and that is part of your reasoning that he is a bottom pair defenseman. Makes perfect sense now. That is a perfectly reasonable jump to make.

As to the second part. I never took it as you saying that he sucks at skating, I took it as you saying that his skating was average. It isn't. It is significantly better than average, and absolutely an asset to him as a prospect. If you want to disagree with that and say his skating is not a positive, then fine. But these mental gymnastics (by pretending you were using Makar/Hughes as a reference) to try to justify what you said is ridiculous.
His skating will be average, maybe slightly above average in the NHL, yes. It isn't significantly better than average, he can skate, its not a hindrance, but it isn't like he is one of the top prospects when it comes to just skating. I never said his skating was a negative and just because I think his skating is average it doesn't mean its a negative either, just that it's not a huge stand out attribute of his game. That would be his ability to defend and be a shut down type of Dman.

I'm not playing any mental gymnastics. I know what I meant when I said he isn't a great skater, you just want to keep doubling down pretending I was calling his skating a negative, or an issue with his game when I said nothing like that. A great skater to me, is a McDavid, Makar, Huges, AA, etc. He is not in that group.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
His skating will be average, maybe slightly above average in the NHL, yes. It isn't significantly better than average, he can skate, its not a hindrance, but it isn't like he is one of the top prospects when it comes to just skating. I never said his skating was a negative and just because I think his skating is average it doesn't mean its a negative either, just that it's not a huge stand out attribute of his game. That would be his ability to defend and be a shut down type of Dman.

I'm not playing any mental gymnastics. I know what I meant when I said he isn't a great skater, you just want to keep doubling down pretending I was calling his skating a negative, or an issue with his game when I said nothing like that. A great skater to me, is a McDavid, Makar, Huges, AA, etc. He is not in that group.
Its pretty obvious you are someone who will just refuse to quit or admit they were wrong, so I am just going to throw in the towel here. To the bolded, I disagree completely, and I will be happy to see Allen prove me right in the future.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Just saw that our director of player personnel, Cal Filsonnis joining you guys as a Scout. Hopefully Korch can work on some of the things he needs to work on next year and you guys take good care of Dach and Allan!

Yeah - just saw that. Pretty cool.

It was a fun ride this year. Glad to get to know ya. Good luck to the T-birds next season. KK probably be back with ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad