Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v15.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Commesso has stated he is opting out due of World Juniors because he is taking summer classes and he wants to put all his attention to fully preparing for the BU season as they have a new head coach and system.

My 2 cents - its an idiotic time to have a World Juniors tournament and it will be watered down with many players skipping and Russia not entered. I see staying at BU, training and preparing for an important season more of a priority.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Commesso has stated he is opting out due of World Juniors because he is taking summer classes and he wants to put all his attention to fully preparing for the BU season as they have a new head coach and system.

My 2 cents - its an idiotic time to have a World Juniors tournament and it will be watered down with many players skipping and Russia not entered. I see staying at BU, training and preparing for an important season more of a priority.

The only guys opting our so far though, outside of Commesso, have been players with realistic chances of making NHL rosters. The fact is, there really wasn't an ideal time to have a make-up tournament. It was either do it in the summer or miss the year. I'm glad they decided to have it bc for a lot of the players, this will be the biggest stage of their careers.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

I can respect that. Thanks for sharing!

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Saw the CHGO podcast interviewed Commesso yesterday, watching now idk if it comes up at all.

yeah nothing... they were talking, oh you've been busy playing a lot this year and asked about the olympics, but nothing about the future with the wjc or upcoming Boston team.

Last edited:

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Saw the CHGO podcast interviewed Commesso yesterday, watching now idk if it comes up at all.

yeah nothing... they were talking, oh you've been busy playing a lot this year and asked about the olympics, but nothing about the future with the wjc or upcoming Boston team.
not surprised that pod is terrible. Horrible opinions/takes, get key players first names wrong, and they shit on the top hockey podcast and their hosts/ the tnt crew. Someone should let them know jealousy is not a good look…

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Scott Powers in his camp review did get a quote from Commesso on it

"One player you won’t see is goalie Drew Commesso. He was expected to be the U.S. starting goalie, but he decided to opt out.

“It was a tough decision to make,” Commesso said. “Everyone with the Blackhawks were so supportive of me to make the best decision for my development. There’s some personal stuff back home that obviously we don’t have to get into, but I thought it was the best decision for my development to focus on school and properly train and prepare for the season at BU.”

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Scott Powers in his camp review did get a quote from Commesso on it

"One player you won’t see is goalie Drew Commesso. He was expected to be the U.S. starting goalie, but he decided to opt out.

“It was a tough decision to make,” Commesso said. “Everyone with the Blackhawks were so supportive of me to make the best decision for my development. There’s some personal stuff back home that obviously we don’t have to get into, but I thought it was the best decision for my development to focus on school and properly train and prepare for the season at BU.”
Makes sense - many prospects are opting out. Dumb time to play a tournament and I bet it will cause a lot of injuries with the timing.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
580DB299-9BD3-495C-A4A1-689F628B13D4.jpeg

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
After 1 period Red leads White 2-0 in an intersquad game of Canadian Wotld Juniors selection Camp invitees trying for spots for tge U-20 Team Canada will send to the World Juniors Championships this Deember-Jauary...that is notvtge U-20 team that will played in the delayed U-20 Championship Tournament this August.

Anyway inthis game Ethan DelMastro has 2 assists on tge Team Red goals in this period...((first was a secondary,the second was a primary)..

DelMastro isvon tge 1st D-oaring with Corson Ceulmans ...

Line 2 for TeamRed has AdamFantilli playing LW (not C) on a line centered by Colton Dach and Ryan Greene is the RW on the line which is designated as line 2...They did not figure inability scoring for the 2-0 lead for their team .

GOALS from Tucker Robertson (RW on line 3) and from Zachary Bollduc(KW on line 1 for Team Red.

Interesting as I me tinned that Adam Fantill who coukd go 2 or 3 inthe 2023 draft is LW on line 2 for team Red while they put another q7 yr old 2023 draft eligible Center ,Kohen Zeimer,as the1C..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
My bad...Kevin Korchinski is on the 1st D pairing for Team White with Corson Ceulmans...

Del Maestro id the 1LD for Team Red but hevusvoaured with Brandt Clarke who is1RD).

Anyway still 2-0 Red now part way through 2nd period

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Score now 4-0 for Red over White....Del Maestro adds his 3rd assist(2nd primary) on tge 3rd goal ...still no points from Fantilli,Dach ,Greene line...

Alk 4 Red goals have been even strength .

Just a fewcminutesxremai g in 2nd period.

The game is being streamed on the Hocjey Canada website.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Team White scored with less than 3 minutes remaining in period 2...and now the period over....So 4-1lead for Team Red..

So only Del Maestro has points (3assists) so far from the Hawks 'prospects playing this game....(none yet from Dach or Greene,or Ludwinski for Team Red or from Korchinski for Team White)..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So White came back forx2 gials in Period 3 to make it close...butcRed scores into empty net to make it a Final 5-3 score and a Team Red victory.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So to summarize up tge Hawks'prospects in today's U-20 intersquad contest for Team Canada tryouts to impress for a consuderation for anitger invite later this December forctge finK selection camp before the World Juniors coming in Denver-January this winter,tge only Blackhawks prospect who got points today was Ethan Del Mastro with hisx3 assists for Tean Red..

This may indicate that he might be the only Hawks prospect making that Team Canada squad ..
The Canadian Blackhawks prospects who we just drsftedcin the 2023 draft dod notcstandvout much today...usually younger Juniors just drafted still at 17 orc18 have ta tough time trying to displace older draft plus 1 19 yr olds for the Workd Jrs...exceptvfor very exceptional younger relents.

There also are a couple of injuredcinvitees who could not play in this set of Summer camp tryouts who if they are healthy and have shown well in their games this season prior to tgat final selection camp ...so thatxzlso toughen tge Co option..

I am guessing Del Mastro will not only make ygat final selection camp but make tge final squad for Canada at tge Workd Juniors this winter.

Not sure if Allen or Dach will be on that Final squad or even getcre-invited to that selection cap before the Final squad us chosen.

I do not expect recent draftees Ludwknski i
or Greene or Korchinski to be on that team ....

Remember also that those still eligible from the World Junior U-20 team who are playong last year's canceled and delayed WJHC (due to covid ) in August this year ALSO will be reservibg s on that WJHC Team Canada U-20 ...for instance Connor Bedard...abd there are a few others..

Even Adam Fantilli who was in today's game playing for Tean Red on a line with Colton Dach and Ryan Greene,might not be on that team if he cannot produce the expected points as a 17 yr old tge production from some older 19 year okds ...
Tgere coukd be otgerx29 year old s not even invited to any of tge 2 Canada u-20 squads who still might have great starts this season and get invites to tgat Final Selectiob camp a few weeks before the WJHC this winter (usually starts just after Christnas).

Anyway...today by not scorong (except for Del Mastro) alk tgevotger Hawks prospects pkayong today did not really stand out agaibst this level of competition..

Yet some young pkayers did stand out...They eotgerxwere drafted by other teams (eg.Luca Del Belballuz had 2 goals for Team White and was dangerous firing shotsvon net especiakky with a strrong 3rd period..So I think thisx18 yr old bolstered his chances for a justcdrafted to at least get anotger look in the Fibal Selection camp a few weeks before tgat winter WJHC...

And tge 17 year old Kohen Zeimer (Spokane WHL got 2 assists today for Team Red and pkayed C on their 1zt line...so he coukd Lso get invited to that Fonal selection Vamp.

However tgerexare still 2 more games in this Sumner Showcase for thise who dod not impress today to redeem themselves...except tgey will be pkaying agaibst the Canada u-18 squads in games coming up the next 2 days...

Tge u18 tryouts were also i their own camp playing intersquad Red Whote games..

Now they will have White U-20 play Red u-18 and Red u-20 pkay Whitecu-18.

So you woukdxexpect thevodwr guys will crash the younger guys ..we shall see.

But I'd Dach,,Greene ,Ludwinski ,Korchinski and Allen do not shine vs the younger u-18s they will face in these games,tgen tgey probably get no chance at being invited to tge December Canada u-20 final selection camp.

Thexsame goes for Fanrilli who if he still isxelgible be dropped into that u-18 pool instead of trying to make the u-29 squad.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So Canada just named its 23 man roster to play in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup Tournament from the 45 invited to their Sumner u18 National Team Camp ...the Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2022 begins July 31st..

These u18 players are draftcekigibke in 2023 or later ..So no Hawks prospects playing in it.

Tonight Canada u18 pkays Team White from the u-20 Summer camp ...

If they did not shuffle the lineup ...then the Tean White u-29 squad willbevtge same one who list to Team Redu-20 by a 5-3 score last night.

So Kevin Korchinski should Gain be playing in this game for Team White u-20.

I am not sure if the u-18 squad they will face is that 23 man final roster named forctge Hlinka Gretzky Cup or is a u18 team selected from tjise who did not make the final cut forvthe Hlinka Gretzky Cup VNada team.

Rosters for tonight's game supposedly will only be available 1 hr before game time which is 5:58p.m. MDT (so an hour later Chicago tine andc2 hours later EDT ..

You can watch the game via a stream link on the Hockey Canada website(hockeycanada.ca).

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So it is 1-0 at the end of the 1st period for Canada U-20 White squad over the Canada u-18 National Team that are the final 23 chosen to play in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup that begins at the end of July ..

Kevin Korchinski assisted on the goal for Canada u-20 White squad but it was just a routine start pass to Del BelBelluzz who made a brilliant pass on a 2 o no break-in over ti Chase Stillman who easily put it in the open side of the net after the goalie for the u-18s took the angle expecting Del BelBelluz to shoot.

The older bigger stronger u-20 squad dominated the play and put a barrage of shots directed at the u-18 net..so tge score shoukd have been larger but the goalie for the U-18s made a kit of goid saves to keep the score down.

So far...despite hisxassist , Korchinski has not impressed me ...I expected more puck domobationand control of pkay from him...but he has hardly been noticeable so far tonight ..Lokingvforxsonethingvsoecial...did notcsee it so far tonight vs. The younger kids of thevu18s...Nor was he shining last night in the U-20 White squad loss to U-20 Red ...

Bit still 2 more periods tonight for him to cone out of his slumber and look like some kind of diference'-maker that justifies his #7 overall in the 2022 draft.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well what a change in tge 2nd period...The kids of the Canada u-18s exploded forc3 quick goals in less than 4monutes to start this period but the older Canada u-20 White team got 1 back to be down 3-2 at the 4:46 mark of this 2nd period. THEN as the period progressed thev18s go up 4-2 then the u-20 whites respond with agoal (on a nice pass by Nolan Allan )..Then thevyoung u-18s score on the next shift to restore a 2 goal lead...but u-20 White blasts home a shot to makevitcax5-4 score for thevu18scas tgevoeriod closes.

A barrage of scoring in that period.

Unlike in the first period where thevu-18s got dominated,they limited shotscon goal much better in thec2ndvperiod and outscored the u-29 Whites 5 goals to 3....

So score is 5-4 for thevu18s over u-20 White after 2 periods.

Hawks draftees Kevin Korchinski and Nolan Allan have 1A each for U-20 White ...

Since there is no full statement line I cannot summarize tge plus/minus for these 2 Hawks dmen prospects so far i the game.

As I posted before Korchinski got a basic pas up teriary assist (ratger routine assist) but Alkan grade A nice pay on a greatxset-up pass for his primary assist.

So we shall see what happens in the 3rd period.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Game over ...Canada u-18s upset Canada u-20 White by a score of 6-4...} guess it shows that the 2023 draft class of which a lot of the Canada u-18s are eligible indeed does indicate how deep that draft class will be even beyond the top 3 picks...Tgey outplayed the older u-20 guys in the fibal 2 periods after beibg dominated in prriodc1 even though they only gave up 1 goal during that first period barrage..I think theycsumply showed off superior skill and finished chances better despite their youth pkayibg older players..

But tgse are the best u-18s as tgey were the first al 23 after camp cut down.. Tge u-20 squad was only half or less tgan half the u-20 team that will play for Canada at the Eorkd U-29 Jr.Xhampuonship starting on Boxing g Day this December.

You still have the other half of the u-20 squad at Summer Showcsse Camp (U-20 Red squad who pkay the u18s tomorrow night..

So we will see how thevu18 kids play on back to back nights....us there will be additions to that Final Canada U-20 squad from players not at this summer camp...eg.Connor Bedard andcsonebotgers still while on age who willbe playing in the delayed World U20 that got postponed last December diecto Covid problems...

That delayed U-20 Chamionship Canada team willbe playing fthose games when that begins in a few weeks from now...

So I doubttbif you matched the u-18s of tonight(the team playing for Canada in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup) with the Finak U-20 squad Canada puts out this coloring Boxing Day i December to start the world u-20 Championship for this conung session,thenI do not think they can beat that older squad.

Anyway we shall see how the young u-18s farexagaubst Red u-20 in the gane tomorrow night.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Today's Canada u-18 (Hlinka Gretzky Cup Team) plays Canada U20 Red Team starting at 1:58 MDT (= 2:58 pm chiChicago time and 3:58 p. EDT )....live streamed on the hockeycanada.ca website.
So you can watch Colton Dach,Ryan Greene ,Paul Ludwinsji and Ethan DelNastro try to beat kids 1-2years younger ...sonething Kevin Korchinski and Nolan Allan coukd not do last night I U-20 White" 6-4 loss to tge u18 team .

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
1st period over ..Sxorectied 1-1....Canada
u18s got on the board first...but then off a faceoff Canada u-20 Reds tie it...

Thecu20 Reds outshot the u-18s by 17-7 and they hit Iron twice.

Still no points forctge Greene Dach Fantilli line ...but Dach (whobkoojsxskiw as a skater given husxsize( did dominate ontakibgvdrWs...And Ludwibski playing as 4C akso looked good on winning draws... Del Mastro except for 1 errant intercepted pas was otherwise very good ...and on a shift just beforectgevoeiodcebdrd he dominated directing a long shift of possession in the U-20 Red o-zone.. They are using him playing RD on the PK j but at LD playing in ES...

They (u20-Red) are not using Del Mastro on the featured #1PP unit.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Score now 2-1 for u-20 Red over the 18s...they should be up by 3 irc4 more goals but u-18 goalie Scott Ratcliff has madex30 saves in 2 periods...manyvwere good scoring chances ..Colton Dach had 2 orc3 goid scoring chances in a much better period from him but shotvover tge netbor missed widevon his shots...he did fire sone on net from distance.. Again Del Mastro was very good ...cutting off line rishesxand bailing out his d-partber Brandt Clarke (who scored a goal for Red u-20) but who made a horrible bad pass to tge center of the ice that got intercepted and led to a 2 on1 which got busted up by DelMastro being i the correct position to intercept the cross pass then just up itvback out the other way.....Ludwinski akso had a goid period I thought with sone nice shifts...I bemievevtgey rewarded him with somevuplinevshiftsxwith better pjayers than he started with as 4C...He won draws too...Did not see much of RyamGreenevtgat period.. do not knowvif he got injured or was stapled to the bench for ineffective play...but in any case they put somebody else up on the top linewoth Dach and Fantilli..

Thought Fantilli was better than hexwas in periodx1...but still not really showing why he is supposed to be #3overall in tgec2023 draft.
Looking for both scoribgand dominating play or specialness fron him...just have not seen it...this game so far ir in the redu-20 win over whitevu-20 2 days ago..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad