Prospect Info: All-Purpose Prospect Thread v11.0: The D Man Cometh

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Quit exaggerating. His production was not terrible in any way. Was it underwhelming for a top pick? Sure, but certainly not terrible.

School work is the biggest source of stress for teenagers. That affects mental health and can seriously impact his play on the ice.

Have you been to college? It is not hard and athletes get a lot of help managing the workload. I have a lot of friends who played college hockey and not one of them would bitch about school (minus one but he was an idiot).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
People said the same about Tkachuk's college numbers. NCAA numbers are tricky and it's not like he wasn't producing at all, especially being a true Freshman.

Classroom struggles can seep into on-ice play, as well. Focus, getting in your own head, etc. Could be any number of factors.

I see no reason he couldn't step into the AHL, personally.

BT was still an impact player with less numbers. Wahlstrom didn't really make an impact. 31 points in 40 games is a lot better than 19 in 36.

I just don't buy the workload excuse. Maybe I am skewed in my view becuase the programs I have specific knowledge of (Miami, Michigan, and Michigan State) have great support programs but I highly doubt BC falls behind.

Last edited:

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Have you been to college? It is not hard and athletes get a lot of help managing the workload. I have a lot of friends who played college hockey and not one of them would ***** about school (minus one but he was an idiot).
Maybe for you, but it's not easy for everyone. Stop assuming things.

If I recall correctly, Wahlstrom was committed to another school previously but turned out he didnt have the grades to get in. Clearly he struggles with academics.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Quit exaggerating. His production was not terrible in any way. Was it underwhelming for a top pick? Sure, but certainly not terrible.

School work is the biggest source of stress for teenagers. That affects mental health and can seriously impact his play on the ice.

His numbers were bad for his ability. Terrible is harsh.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

If I recall correctly, Wahlstrom was committed to another school previously but turned out he didnt have the grades to get in. Clearly he struggles with academics.

It is not an assumption. I have direct knowledge of the support systems that student athletes are provided.

He got turned down by Harvard. Which is an elite academic school.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Have you been to college? It is not hard and athletes get a lot of help managing the workload. I have a lot of friends who played college hockey and not one of them would ***** about school (minus one but he was an idiot).

It is not an assumption. I have direct knowledge of the support systems that student athletes are provided.

He got turned down by Harvard. Which is an elite academic school.
there are at least 2 major parts of this discussion one is missing.

~~ first the idea of they the player are breezing thru the academic side of their classes.

~~ second, you are assuming that they the players do not have a part time job.

in a idea of the perfect world, it is all easy to handle.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
there are at least 2 major parts of this discussion one is missing.

~~ first the idea of they the player are breezing thru the academic side of their classes.

~~ second, you are assuming that they the players do not have a part time job.

in a idea of the perfect world, it is all easy to handle.

First, no one is assuming they are breezing through their classes.

Second, student athletes have major work restrictions so it is a safe assumption they are not working.

So in summary, nothing is missing.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
First, no one is assuming they are breezing through their classes.

Second, student athletes have major work restrictions so it is a safe assumption they are not working.

So in summary, nothing is missing.
the idea of all players are great students is totally wrong, one needs to agree that there are some that is having a rough time in school.

major work restriction that is the key..... one is taking into consideration that players will or could be working.......

so a combo of both can happen and players will have a difficult time in school.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
the idea of all players are great students is totally wrong, one needs to agree that there are some that is having a rough time in school.

major work restriction that is the key..... one is taking into consideration that players will or could be working.......

so a combo of both can happen and players will have a difficult time in school.

No is saying all players are great students so there is nothing to agree on. It was specifically stated that the athletes have great academic suppost systems around them but it was NEVER stated that all the players are great students.

Worrying about the athletes working in this situation is a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad