Speculation: All Purpose John Tavares Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
It's kind of messed up he's holding teams hostage at this point.

He has six teams waiting on him. You know damn well he has ruled out at least a few of those teams. Maybe he's told them and it hasn't leaked, if not, that's messed up.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA

He has six teams waiting on him. You know damn well he has ruled out at least a few of those teams. Maybe he's told them and it hasn't leaked, if not, that's messed up.

He has the right to do whatever he wants. Any of those teams could drop out at any moment and focus on other players but they won't because Tavares is just that good. In my opinion it's nice to see a NHL player taking teams for a ride rather than the other way around for a change.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
He's already used the Isles for leverage. It's fair to say that one of the Sharks or Toronto is being used to leverage the other at this point.
What would the point be? He was already going to get at least 7x12 with a full NTC. If he cared about being on a competitive team, why try to handicap them? If it was just about money why not take a 15.9x8 with the Islanders? Nothing here adds up, and that's what makes this confusing with the lack of leaks.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
He has the right to do whatever he wants. Any of those teams could drop out at any moment and focus on other players but they won't because Tavares is just that good. In my opinion it's nice to see a NHL player taking teams for a ride rather than the other way around for a change.
So, you wouldnt be mad for instance if DW could aquire Erik Karlsson and some other team does before Tavares makes up his mind and then Tavares signs elsewhere? Especially if Tavares knew he wasn't coming here, but using SJ as a bargaining chip to get more money? I'd be pretty pissed.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011

Ehh, a game of chicken bidding war could end up going in our favor. We don't need any of the other free agents. As long as DW is still working the phones on trade options.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
So, you wouldnt be mad for instance if DW could aquire Erik Karlsson and some other team does before Tavares makes up his mind and then Tavares signs elsewhere? Especially if Tavares knew he wasn't coming here, but using SJ as a bargaining chip to get more money? I'd be pretty pissed.

Wilson would trade for karlsson and still try for tavares. One doesn't affect the other.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA

I'll be disappointed if the Sharks don't sign him for sure but I wouldn't hold it against the player. Or Doug Wilson for that matter. This is just the nature of free agency and this process. Every method of acquiring a player of this calibre has its pitfalls and this is one of them for going the UFA route. But the positives still significantly outweigh the negatives.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
All tsn analysts are saying san jose is the best fit for tavares. But obviously fit means nothing when it comes to personal feelings

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Super team!

But seriously, it would impact the Sharks if the way is to also acquire Ryan. Then we wouldn't have the cap space for Tavares.
Precisely. So, if he strings us along and then goes a different route, I will be pretty salty. If he doesn't and signs somewhere else, whatever.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
All tsn analysts are saying san jose is the best fit for tavares. But obviously fit means nothing when it comes to personal feelings
Yeah but Dreger was saying the chatter is to the Leafs. It does seem obvious that San Jose is the better fit in the near term. Let's hope DW can pull it off.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
That said, the fact that there even is a "bidding war" means TOR isnt the obvious going home thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad