Speculation: All Purpose John Tavares Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Honestly, waking up this morning and hearing he's not a Leaf yet is pretty encouraging.

Seeing all these reports of other teams locking down players but us not being on that list is a good sign as well. I hope DW is spending his whole morning talking to Brisson and if JT does go to the leafs that he makes it very freaking expensive for them

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Since everybody is making educated guesses, I’m guessing that we won’t get any sort of closure on the Tavares situation by the end of the day.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Is John Tavares willing to become the first player (?) to have a combined NHL and NBA contract? He can take veteran minimum from the Warriors on top of the max deal from the Sharks. Might win at least 1 if not 2 championships next year!

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Is it possible they’re waiting for free agency to officially start to announce?

This is what I’m starting to think.

Teams couldn’t talk specific contracts with him until FA starts, so maybe he is just waiting to make the final decision once detailed contracts can be laid out in front of him.

If it’s gunna go longer than today, his camp really should let his suitors know, so they can plan accordingly (plus might narrow his choices down for him and speed shit up)

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
"teams can't talk terms" but agree to exact terms with players before FA starts lol "5 years 7 mil per for JVR"

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
This is what I’m starting to think.

Teams couldn’t talk specific contracts with him until FA starts, so maybe he is just waiting to make the final decision once detailed contracts can be laid out in front of him.

If it’s gunna go longer than today, his camp really should let his suitors know, so they can plan accordingly (plus might narrow his choices down for him and speed **** up)

I highly doubt it's that. Look at all the other UFAs who've verbally agreed and are being announced now. It's not like some team is going to change their deal terms significantly when 9am PT rolls around.

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
"teams can't talk terms" but agree to exact terms with players before FA starts lol "5 years 7 mil per for JVR"

Exactly. I don't know the ins-and-outs of how this latest clause (i.e., this open period) made it into the CBA but clearly UFAs and teams are talking terms and verbally agreeing. It's been happening every offseason since the last CBA was signed and clearly the league doesn't care.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I highly doubt it's that. Look at all the other UFAs who've verbally agreed and are being announced now. It's not like some team is going to change their deal terms significantly when 9am PT rolls around.

Yeah I know, but even if contracts have been agreed to, or laid out in theory, he still could just be wanting the extra security of knowing it’s down on paper, and ready to sign before saying anything.

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Yeah I know, but even if contracts have been agreed to, or laid out in theory, he still could just be wanting the extra security of knowing it’s down on paper, and ready to sign before saying anything.

I'd think Brisson would step in and inform other teams to move on.

I'm assuming he legitimately hasn't decided. (I, too, thought I'd wake up seeing a Leafs announcement.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad