Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose "Days of Our Meruelo" Talk

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
For f***s sake then just play in KC for 3 seasons.
Call it the Kansas City Wolves (tm) and then move the freaking team back to AZ when the arena is finished.
Grant KC a expansion and be done with it. But no the team has to move to Utah.
Where they do not have an arena that is good.

I hope their lake dries up faster now.
Kansas City doesn't want a team. Their arena is already profitable without a professional sports tenant. KC doesn't want an NHL or NBA team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think we've been hoodwinked. The NHL has been working this deal in the background for awhile, I'm now under the opinion the auction was actually Plan B, not relocation.
That's the sense I'm getting too. I knew that that the framework was in place for relocation but it wasn't until the all star game thati started to with that the emphasis had shifted...

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Kansas City doesn't want a team. Their arena is already profitable without a professional sports tenant. KC doesn't want an NHL or NBA team.
Well then more reason for them to accomodate the team for 3-4 years.
They don't loose anything but gain stuff. Win-Win situation.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
It’s f***ing wild that the NHL thinks local fans will support a Meruelo team in Arizona after he sells the Coyotes.
That's the one thing that gives me hope. That idea is total BS and I can't believe anyone with half a brain would support it. If someone is suggesting that, it sounds like something that's made up.
I'd be shocked if that was an official position of the NHL.

Reactions: Summer Rose

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's the one thing that gives me hope. That idea is total BS and I can't believe anyone with half a brain would support it. If someone is suggesting that, it sounds like something that's made up.
I'd be shocked if that was an official position of the NHL.

There's so much about a lot of this that just makes no logical sense. That's why I have to believe relocation is still plan B after the land auction falls through (if it were to)

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I am trying to play nicely here and but I am trying to wrap my head around the plan to build ln this massive site where everyone keeps saying there is nothing. Usually building on an empty site is a wet dream for developers because they can start the moment all the different studies are done(usually) but not all empty sites are the same. My understanding is there is nothing there. There are two things that jump to mind. The dig (and the mayhem that come with it) and the building of the infrastructure that will be needed to build a project this big. To do the latter part correctly takes awhile and will eat up a large portion of the budget.

My understanding that it will all be done with private money with no help from any level of government?(which I like) How rich is the Arizona Owner or his partners? Modern arenas are costing between 800mill to 1 bill.

It is an interesting project. I am just not able to wrap my head around the time frame that is being laid out by the different companies.

mpir3

Apr 7, 2010
I’ve been very optimistic fellas. The plan AM had for this team was incredible, I know that from first view and the insight I’ve gotten. The investors were all on board.

But I am now starting to settle in that I think this is done. I don’t think it has to do with the arena as much as it has to do with the prolonged time at mullet. There is no more what ifs anymore. Glendale isn’t an option and there’s no other place to play.

What an absolute shame. BA has been the best thing this team ever had and had a strong owner willing to spend. I’m not sure where to go from here.

My guys are saying this is very real and something that wasn’t on the agenda yesterday. It’s being pushed by the league and the amount of games played at mullet and the arena time table.

Expansion guarantee is apart of this mess, but I don’t want an expansion team, I want this one.
Your posts have been spot on with what I've casually heard from a friend that knows AM. I never pestered for more info but I did reach out this morning. His reply was "Sell and hold Coyotes name until expansion." He's not a hockey guy but wealthy phx local that has had a few discussions with AM early in the season.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Says who?
Kansas City as an entity.

1. There's no owner nor anyone with the financial ability to be one that's ever mentioned wanting a team there.
2. The arena isn't NHL-ready, which would take some work and the taxpayers aren't footing the bill for that; the Chiefs are a thriving dynasty and taxpayers just told them to kick rocks when they wanted money.
3. No local corporate money. There isn't a single corporation in KC that cracks the top 350 on the Fortune 500 list. No corporate backing, no team.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Your posts have been spot on with what I've casually heard from a friend that knows AM. I never pestered for more info but I did reach out this morning. His reply was "Sell and hold Coyotes name until expansion." He's not a hockey guy but wealthy phx local that has had a few discussions with AM early in the season.
Very unfortunate considering what could have been. But it’s too long of a build time. Who knows if he goes through with the auction anymore?

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
I’m not local, the games are normally at like 3 in the morning for me. They said on PHNX that for people who aren’t local that this won’t feel any different. But it really messes with me. Part of the reason I love this team is this community. I listen to some of your opinions on games and drafts like it’s insider information. I lurked in this board for years before I signed up. And really this just sucks, if this is it i willl miss this community as much as I will miss watching the games.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
I'm so sorry guys about this. I'm a Blackhawks fan, but I know what it feels like to have a bad team after a bad team and so on. I hope this works out.

Everyone is tired of the NHL and its shenanigans: scandals, management dysfunction, etc.
I'm not tired of the NHL at all. If it wasn't for Bettman and Co., this team would've been gone long ago. I'm glad we had them for as long as we did. I've got lots of fond memories of games in Glendale.

Reactions: Jakey53

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Kansas City as an entity.

1. There's no owner nor anyone with the financial ability to be one that's ever mentioned wanting a team there.
2. The arena isn't NHL-ready, which would take some work and the taxpayers aren't footing the bill for that; the Chiefs are a thriving dynasty and taxpayers just told them to kick rocks when they wanted money.
3. No local corporate money. There isn't a single corporation in KC that cracks the top 350 on the Fortune 500 list. No corporate backing, no team.
Lamar Hunt jr is worth 4.5 billion but not sure why he would want to do business with the NHL.

Sprint in Overland Park, KS, 20 minutes away. But again, not sure what the interest is.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
Then AM is a poor businessman. You don't build an arena unless you have a team. The cost for an expansion team ($1 billion (in 2024) plus building the arena will cost more than just building an arena. Not too mention the cost of infrastructure and building the organization from the ground up. If this is true, AM will take the money and run. It makes no sense financially to start from scratch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad