Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
I know it’s not a great draft for goalies (apparently, though goalies are voodoo), but it wouldn’t hurt to use one of our 9 picks on a goalie as our system is virtually barren. Who are some people’s preferences if we do draft a goalie? Any under the radar names? Some interesting overagers are Nabokov and Moysevich. Gidlof? George?

Thoughts?
They will take a flyer on a goalie, but it's unlikely there's a goalie going before the third round.

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I know it’s not a great draft for goalies (apparently, though goalies are voodoo), but it wouldn’t hurt to use one of our 9 picks on a goalie as our system is virtually barren. Who are some people’s preferences if we do draft a goalie? Any under the radar names? Some interesting overagers are Nabokov and Moysevich. Gidlof? George?

Thoughts?
Gildof has athletic tools but "is a huge project." Apparently Yegorov impressed at the combine with intelligence and great English, but he looked very spotty on a bad team. Upside story there is if it was more of a team problem. George got everyone excited but he's smallish. Nabokov is probably ready soon but may not ever be a true starter.

If it were me, I would go Yegorov then Gildof but who knows. Goalies are voodoo indeed.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
What about if it's for #33 + Ferraro? Gives Winnipeg a late first and a young #4 defenseman to replace Dillon
Again, I just really not a fan of McGroarty as a player, I don’t think he’ll be able to score much in the NHL, especially right now. And it seems like McGroarty’s issue is that Winnipeg won’t guarantee him a full-time NHL spot next year.

I also think that Ferraro+33 is more value than he’s worth.

Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
If you look back at the goalies drafted it's been brutal recently. Of course the more recent ones haven't got their shot.
Frankly, IMO, if you're not willing to spend a high pick (round 1) on someone who'd pegged as a first round pick then I wouldn't bother until the last couple rounds. IT's just too much of a crapshoot to waste a 3rd or 4th unless someone massively drops.

Reactions: Cas

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Sounds as if McGroarty wants NHL time. Would we give that to him?
I know some point to his skating but I’ve watched many slow guys have great careers. Andreychuk, Leclair and even our own Clowe and Pavelski. Being slow doesn’t mean a player sucks.

Reactions: Grinner

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I know some point to his skating but I’ve watched many slow guys have great careers. Andreychuk, Leclair and even our own Clowe and Pavelski. Being slow doesn’t mean a player sucks.
i don't know if he wants immediate playing time but at least a clear path to NHL playing time. Winnipeg's top 9 are basically all prime aged NHLers. There's really not much room for him in their lineup.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Why not? Outside of Smith, Celebrini, Zetterlund, Granlund, Eklund, Sturm, Goodrow, Delladnrea, and Couture if healthy, the Sharks have 3-4 forward spots that are wide open. I'm sure they will add another forward or two in FA (or via trade), but there should be at least 1-2 spots open in camp for him to come in and compete for. That's the appeal of a team as deep in a rebuild as the Sharks are...you can convince guys to want to come here for playing time. It worked with Graf too.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Why not? Outside of Smith, Celebrini, Zetterlund, Granlund, Eklund, Sturm, Goodrow, Delladnrea, and Couture if healthy, the Sharks have 3-4 forward spots that are wide open. I'm sure they will add another forward or two in FA (or via trade), but there should be at least 1-2 spots open in camp for him to come in and compete for. That's the appeal of a team as deep in a rebuild as the Sharks are...you can convince guys to want to come here for playing time. It worked with Graf too.
I just hope Grier is looking hard at this. That 14 overall can be enticing.

Reactions: DG93

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
Frankly, IMO, if you're not willing to spend a high pick (round 1) on someone who'd pegged as a first round pick then I wouldn't bother until the last couple rounds. IT's just too much of a crapshoot to waste a 3rd or 4th unless someone massively drops.

The interesting part is that the best goalie taken recently was Saros at 99th in 2013. It's just such a crapshoot with goalies. Patrick Roy was 51st pick, Hasek 199th, Brodeur 20th. The success rate after 2nd round drops drmatically. I suppose it just depends how they rate the netminders. The earliest I could see the Sharks going goalie is the third and even that seems too early for this specific draft.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think a team should invest a mid round pick on a goalie every draft. Since it is a crapshoot you might as well buy a lottery ticket every year to see if you eventually hit.
I think that's about my feeling too. Obviously some years you just miss out because someone else got the goalie(s) you were eyeing, but if you pick two every three years, hopefully you hit once every few years.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Would anyone entertain taking on Korpisalo if a deal could be made around him and the 7th overall for 14th, one of Blackwood/Vanacek. Assuming they can strike a deal for Ullmark.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Would anyone entertain taking on Korpisalo if a deal could be made around him and the 7th overall for 14th, one of Blackwood/Vanacek. Assuming they can strike a deal for Ullmark.
I don't think Blackwood or Vanacek are our goalies of the future, and Korpisalo's buyout isn't terrible at any point, but I think I'd want more for taking on four years at $4 million.

If we could finagle #7, #25, and Korpisalo for #14, Blackwood/Vanacek, and maybe a mid-round pick, I'd jump at it.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
How about Musty for McGroarty straight up?

1000004046.gif

The idea of that is McGroaty to me.

And it's wild that Musty is being equated to the 42nd overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad