Prospect Info: All-Purpose 2024 Draft Thread & Celebrini discussion (also the 14th pick and whatever else is draft related)

Who should the Sharks draft #1?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
There is absolutely zero chance Calgary doesn't draft him if he is still on the board.
Doesn’t sound like that’s the case. They’ve drafted wingers in the first round for years and one of the highly ranked defensemen will almost certainly be available at 9. I know everyone wants to make the obvious connection but drafting Tij just because of his last name would be an insane way for a team to use a top 10 pick. At the end of the day he is a small winger.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow
Jul 10, 2010
Doesn’t sound like that’s the case. They’ve drafted wingers in the first round for years and one of the highly ranked defensemen will almost certainly be available at 9. I know everyone wants to make the obvious connection but drafting Tij just because of his last name would be an insane way for a team to use a top 10 pick. At the end of the day he is a small winger.
talk of him playing center next year. plus hes probably BPA at that spot. Not sure if he'll even be there TBH.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Honestly if I were Calgary I’d steer clear of Tij. Can you imagine the kind of pressure the kid would be under to be the savior of the Flames? It would be downright irresponsible to draft him into that situation.
I'd be a bit surprised if Montreal passed on Iginla at 5 but if Calgary has a choice between Iginla, Catton, and Helenius, they probably should take Catton. Hopefully, they take Eiserman.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'd be a bit surprised if Montreal passed on Iginla at 5 but if Calgary has a choice between Iginla, Catton, and Helenius, they probably should take Catton. Hopefully, they take Eiserman.
I wonder if Helenius might be the best option for Calgary. They desperately need a center prospect and Catton and Iginla are almost definitely wingers at the NHL level. They could use D too but they have Weeger, Andersson, and probably Kylington all reasonably aged.

Helenius could be a great replacement for Backlund in a couple years.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wonder if Helenius might be the best option for Calgary. They desperately need a center prospect and Catton and Iginla are almost definitely wingers at the NHL level. They could use D too but they have Weeger, Andersson, and probably Kylington all reasonably aged.

Helenius could be a great replacement for Backlund in a couple years.
I feel like either Catton or Helenius would be better for them than Iginla. I'd also consider trading back if I were them.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Listening to the Athletic podcast out today, sounds like Stian Solberg impressed a lot of teams with his interview and personality. Definitely think he’s a serious candidate for #14.

Carter Yakemchuk apparently did not interview well and people are questioning his athletic ability as well as he was “well below average” on the lower body testing off the ice and performed poorly at the on-ice CHL top prospects game.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Listening to the Athletic podcast out today, sounds like Stian Solberg impressed a lot of teams with his interview and personality. Definitely think he’s a serious candidate for #14.

Carter Yakemchuk apparently did not interview well and people are questioning his athletic ability as well as he was “well below average” on the lower body testing off the ice and performed poorly at the on-ice CHL top prospects game.
I don’t feel like looking it up but where was Solberg in earlier lists? I can’t recall hearing much about him.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I don’t feel like looking it up but where was Solberg in earlier lists? I can’t recall hearing much about him.
He's a big riser, mostly since his very impressive showing at the world championships. He was a 2nd round prospect, then a late 1st, and now after this podcast seems to be solidly mid 1st "and may go earlier than one of the big 6."

After listening to the podcast I'm now firmly hoping for Solberg at 14. Would be happy with other players of course but he seems like he's oozing potential, sounds smart, and like he would be loved by the fans and in the locker room. Plus, both the world Champs and his combine performance have negated the whole "he's a no offense, steady, no upside defensive D." Definitely has a solid #2 upside and feels like a top 4 all rounder D mid range.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
He's a big riser, mostly since his very impressive showing at the world championships. He was a 2nd round prospect, then a late 1st, and now after this podcast seems to be solidly mid 1st "and may go earlier than one of the big 6."

After listening to the podcast I'm now firmly hoping for Solberg at 14. Would be happy with other players of course but he seems like he's oozing potential, sounds smart, and like he would be loved by the fans and in the locker room. Plus, both the world Champs and his combine performance have negated the whole "he's a no offense, steady, no upside defensive D." Definitely has a solid #2 upside and feels like a top 4 all rounder D mid range.
Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I’m starting to feel like the Sharks might take Solberg over Yakemchuk if both are available. Not sure that’s necessarily the right move, but there’s at least a reasonable argument.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I’m starting to feel like the Sharks might take Solberg over Yakemchuk if both are available. Not sure that’s necessarily the right move, but there’s at least a reasonable argument.
Yeah, I was banging the drum on Yak for a long time, but the messages are very mixed coming out of the combine. Pronman's "Draft Confidential" said a lot of teams are high on Yakemchuk but then the podcast says he interviewed poorly (charitably: maybe just a young introvert, but also maybe he lacks confidence/is a weird dude), and tested very much like not a natural athlete (wasn't what I had read). I still think he could go much higher, or to CGY at 9, but I'm less confident than I was.

It's like 2 more weeks of Christmas Eve or the day before your birthday. I'll be fired up in Sphere with *almost* anyone we end up picking.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, I was banging the drum on Yak for a long time, but the messages are very mixed coming out of the combine. Pronman's "Draft Confidential" said a lot of teams are high on Yakemchuk but then the podcast says he interviewed poorly (charitably: maybe just a young introvert, but also maybe he lacks confidence/is a weird dude), and tested very much like not a natural athlete (wasn't what I had read). I still think he could go much higher, or to CGY at 9, but I'm less confident than I was there.

It's like 2 more weeks of Christmas Eve or the day before your birthday. I'll be fired up in Sphere with *almost* anyone we end up picking.
Yeah, it’s definitely possible that Yakemchuk is just a quiet awkward dude and isn’t super comfortable with public speaking. He shouldn’t be punished for that, but Dougie Hamilton was traded for peanuts because he preferred going to museums than out to the club with the #boyzz, so that could be what’s happening here.

I will say that the poor athletic testing doesn’t shock me exactly. He doesn’t feel like an Athlete, especially compared to guys like Celebrini, Buium, Lindstrom, Dickinson, who just have this air of physical comfort in their body. Yakemchuk feels physically awkward when you watch him skate or even just stand. I have no idea if this is something that bodes poorly for his future or is meaningful in any way, but hopefully scouts will be able to discern that.

I still think where he goes is gonna be the most fascinating part of this draft. Could be anywhere from 3 to like 16.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Honestly if I were Calgary I’d steer clear of Tij. Can you imagine the kind of pressure the kid would be under to be the savior of the Flames? It would be downright irresponsible to draft him into that situation.
Fully agree. The only moral action is for all of the teams prior to the sharks to pass on him.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
I agree with Jux. I understand the natural inclination is, “There is no way Calgary passes on Tij Iginla” but I really don’t see that as a good situation for him AT ALL. His pops was a Flames legend! We’re talkin pressure and spot light, good and bad, and the whole works. He’ll be compared to his dad from day one. Tij being a flame just seems like it won’t turn out well in the end. Now San Jose? We’d love the kid! He can create a unique legacy with us! He’ll never be able to avoid the comparisons. It is what it is. If I was Tij, I wouldn’t want to be my dads shadow in Calgary.

• Wow

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
I agree with Jux. I understand the natural inclination is, “There is no way Calgary passes on Tij Iginla” but I really don’t see that as a good situation for him AT ALL. His pops was a Flames legend! We’re talkin pressure and spot light, good and bad, and the whole works. He’ll be compared to his dad from day one. Tij being a flame just seems like it won’t turn out well in the end. Now San Jose? We’d love the kid! He can create a unique legacy with us!
I think CAL will trade pick 10th OA. It will cost the Sharks #14 and #33 to move up!
I say move up and take (D) Zeev Buium, (D)Anton Silayev (if they are still available) or (LW) Cole Eiserman. This is very deep draft for defensemen so get your defense fix after the first round.

• Wow

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
A bit OT but I hope Celebrini is paying close attention to Barkov.
He's not Crosby but I'd rather he watch Crosby. In teams of size, skating style, etc, Celebrini is more likely to play that type of quicker more explosive two way / Selke game vs a 6'3" Barkov or Kopitar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad