TV: House of the Dragon (HBO) - Season 2 - Summer 2024, please use spoil tags where it makes sense

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I do share the criticism that the infiltration at the end looked far too easy, especially since you'd imagine that security would be heightened after the previous episode, and it took some of the impact away, but it was still a tense and engrossing sequence of scenes and my only criticism in an overall very good episode.
I also think that was on purpose to show just how unqualified and terrible at his job Criston Cole is.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It should be Criston’s fault that Blood and Cheese got in and killed a royal child.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I was looking forward to the season, but I wasn't super excited or anything. Very early into the episode, though, I realized that I underestimated HBO again. Sometimes, I forget what true prestige TV feels like. The writing, production quality and immersion, especially, are unmatched. It makes The Acolyte, which I'm also currently watching, feel like a live action cartoon in comparison. This is truly a show written for adults and serious fans of the genre.

Admittedly, I didn't pick up right away on the implication of "what if we don't find him?", but I love that it's cryptic and realistic and forces you to think about the dialogue. I'd rather miss something like that because the writers hope that we're smart enough to pick up on it than for them to assume that we're not and add dialogue that removes any mystery, interpretation and doubt.

I do share the criticism that the infiltration at the end looked far too easy, especially since you'd imagine that security would be heightened after the previous episode, and it took some of the impact away, but it was still a tense and engrossing sequence of scenes and my only criticism in an overall very good episode.
I mean you know well I try to be a more positive voice when it comes to new Star wars projects even if I eventually sour on some (still love TFA and Solo and can stomach the shit reshoots and sloppy first two acts of Rogue One to enjoy the last act). But even the best of Star Wars TV (Andor by far) doesn't really come close to the scale and scope of HotD and GOT's production.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
I mean you know well I try to be a more positive voice when it comes to new Star wars projects even if I eventually sour on some (still love TFA and Solo and can stomach the shit reshoots and sloppy first two acts of Rogue One to enjoy the last act). But even the best of Star Wars TV (Andor by far) doesn't really come close to the scale and scope of HotD and GOT's production.
It doesnt and i so desperately wish Disney would learn a thing or two (or 10) from HBO

Reactions: Osprey and HanSolo

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He's too busy being Alicent's f***boy and whining about how Rhaenyra tricked him into being a piece of shit.
I've seen some say they don't like the affair because it makes it too obvious that people "should" root against the Greens but Alicent and Criston were sanctimonious hypocrites last season too. Them hooking up only affirms what people already knew about their sense of purity, nobility, and honor.

I think it lends more that there's disharmony on both sides that led to the human errors that ramped events up to war and will likely only add to the chaos once the war gets going in earnest.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It doesnt and i so desperately wish Disney would learn a thing or two (or 10) from HBO
Me too. I think the issue is Disney has been stuck on a quantity over quality policy where they want to make a huge number of shows for both Marvel and Star Wars and they end up diluting all of it. But when HBO gets a big budget prestige show going, they commit a lot of love and care to it. Even the worst seasons of Game of Thrones...sure there were some production hiccups like the lighting of the Long Night but as a whole the production quality was still top notch.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
Really liked the episode, but honestly a bit disappointed in Blood & Cheese. The book version is just so much more sinister and brutal in details. I didn't find it believeable that they'd be allowed to roam the castle that freely with no guards around the queen's quarters. Scene needed a bit more stealth. I don't think they really did justice to Heleana either, the silent leaving wasn't nearly as impactful as the book's version.

This show has such an amazing cast of characters. Both sides have people to respect, like and hate.

Reactions: Osprey

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Really liked the episode, but honestly a bit disappointed in Blood & Cheese. The book version is just so much more sinister and brutal in details. I didn't find it believeable that they'd be allowed to roam the castle that freely with no guards around the queen's quarters. Scene needed a bit more stealth. I don't think they really did justice to Heleana either, the silent leaving wasn't nearly as impactful as the book's version.

This show has such an amazing cast of characters. Both sides have people to respect, like and hate.

The 'Blood & Cheese' moment was never going to be translated 1:1 to screen.

- Threatening to rape a 4 year old
- Threatening to murder 2x 4 year olds
- Threatening to do the above in front of Heleana
- Actually murdering people in front of Heleana and her two, 4 year old's
- Forcing the Heleana at knife point to pick which of her children to die (she picks Jaeharea)
- Decapitating Jaehaerys instead of Jaeharea in front of Heleana and the still alive, and forever traumatized, Jaeharea.

Good luck getting half of that past the myriad rules and guidelines surrounding child actors.

Il Stugotz

Dude Good (good dude)
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
I didn't need B&C to be gory, but I couldn't turn off the skepticism of how easy it was for them to wander through the royal chambers. I thought that could've been solved by them using secret tunnels and access points directly into different rooms. They could've amped up the suspense by them almost getting caught. B&C could've spotted Heleana and the kids first, but then moved on to search for Aemond who they just miss - then turn back to them. Heleana's emotional response was also strange to me.

The whole sequence just didn't wound me emotionally.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Man this just doesnt come anywhere near hitting the same that GOT did for me. I think a big part of that is just knowing that eventually all these people will die/fail so there isnt really that much suspense. We already know the end out come... Also being basically stuck around Kings Landing and Dragon Stone really hurts. GOT you were always in new places and areas with new scenery. An aspect of this feels kinda stale for HOTD.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I didn't need B&C to be gory, but I couldn't turn off the skepticism of how easy it was for them to wander through the royal chambers. I thought that could've been solved by them using secret tunnels and access points directly into different rooms. They could've amped up the suspense by them almost getting caught. B&C could've spotted Heleana and the kids first, but then moved on to search for Aemond who they just miss - then turn back to them. Heleana's emotional response was also strange to me.

The whole sequence just didn't wound me emotionally.
Yeah I agree. The vibe just felt off throughout the infiltration scene and I was also a bit weirded by Heleana's response. It's been a couple of years since I read Blood & Fire but it seems to me they've turned her into more of a daydreaming "weirdo" than she was in the book.

Honestly, B&C felt a bit caricaturish in general. I didn't get the sinister creepy vibe from them that I was expecting, they were more like a bumbling duo. I think directing could have been better throughout that sequense. Someone suggested on Reddit they should have shown more of Aemond to make the audience think B&C really were going to get him and then surprise everyone when they show up in Heleana's room instead.

Reactions: Saskatoon

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
The 'Blood & Cheese' moment was never going to be translated 1:1 to screen.

- Threatening to rape a 4 year old
- Threatening to murder 2x 4 year olds
- Threatening to do the above in front of Heleana
- Actually murdering people in front of Heleana and her two, 4 year old's
- Forcing the Heleana at knife point to pick which of her children to die (she picks Jaeharea)
- Decapitating Jaehaerys instead of Jaeharea in front of Heleana and the still alive, and forever traumatized, Jaeharea.

Good luck getting half of that past the myriad rules and guidelines surrounding child actors.

Half of that could've happened, for sure. And some of it should've. Mainly the choice to kill which of the 2 sons was necessary, IMO.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Matt Smith is normal looking guy in real life, but that blond wig makes him so sinister.
I think it's his facial expressions that make him look sinister, always has that "I'm about to do something bad" look.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
G.R.R. Martin sure doesn't make it easy for us folks who haven't read the books or re-watched past seasons to remember character names.

Aegon
Aemma
Aemond
Vaemond
Daemon
Rhaena
Rhaenyra
Daenerys
Jacaerys
Jaehaerys
Jaeharea
Laenor
Laena
Larys
Varys
Vyseris

I have a hard enough time trying to keep Bill & Ted straight. :laugh:

Last edited:

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Another confusing thing for me beyond the lack of Kingsguard in the towers was seeing Helaena with children in the first place. And Aegon with children. Who's Aegon's wife and who's Helaena's husband, I dont remember a wedding at all last season. And then I remembered that they both married each other and that Viserys mustve allowed it which is ridiculous. Why not marry off Helaena to Jake or Luke. Doesn't work for me.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Another confusing thing for me beyond the lack of Kingsguard in the towers was seeing Helaena with children in the first place. And Aegon with children. Who's Aegon's wife and who's Helaena's husband, I dont remember a wedding at all last season. And then I remembered that they both married each other and that Viserys mustve allowed it which is ridiculous. Why not marry off Helaena to Jake or Luke. Doesn't work for me.

They married each other because it's very common practice for Tagaryens to marry each other.

Also, Alicent didn't want her kids to marry Rhaenyra's because she knew they were not legitimate (which they aren't - Rhaenyra had them with Harwin Strong instead of Laenor Velaryon).

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
They married each other because it's very common practice for Tagaryens to marry each other.

Also, Alicent didn't want her kids to marry Rhaenyra's because she knew they were not legitimate (which they aren't - Rhaenyra had them with Harwin Strong instead of Laenor Velaryon).

Yes but it pains me that Viserys allowed it. I thought he as a better man than that. Of course, he is senile so I guess it makes sense.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yes but it pains me that Viserys allowed it. I thought he as a better man than that. Of course, he is senile so I guess it makes sense.

I mean he married a Targaryen (Aemma Arryn is related to Viserys), too. And his Dad married his sister. And his grandfather married his sister. They think it keeps the blood pure so their bond with dragons stays strong.;

They're just a family of people who marry each other. Is what it is.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I mean he married a Targaryen (Aemma Arryn is related to Viserys), too. And his Dad married his sister. And his grandfather married his sister. They think it keeps the blood pure so their bond with dragons stays strong.;

They're just a family of people who marry each other. Is what it is.
Family trees that travel a straight line are far easier to keep track of.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
One complain. The episode seemed rushed. With only 8 episodes they are going to be trying to cram in as much as possible.

I think they just wanted a major plot event to happen in the season opener. They spent a ton of time in the first season on setup, and most of the first episode of this season kind of refamiliarizing the audience where the whole thing was at. I don't mind a bunch of exposition if it's well done like it is in both GoT and HotD but without the Blood and Cheese scenes there would really not have been anything memorable about the episode. The war has kicked off proper and I expect this season to have much more action.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad