All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If the men's teams consistently showed up to compete, I doubt this would be the case...
Now you're just moving the goalposts. Below is what you said, that no one takes more pride in the women's team. Now that multiple people have told you that isn't accurate, you've come up with some hypothetical.
I mean does ANYONE take more pride in the women's teams in any sport than the men's? Because I've certainly never seen that

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Now you're just moving the goalposts. Below is what you said, that no one takes more pride in the women's team. Now that multiple people have told you that isn't accurate, you've come up with some hypothetical.
I mean if you take the fact that the only women's sports that are cared about on a national stage are ones in which men are a non-factor as a win, go ahead. I'm just saying it doesn't make the argument you think it does.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If the men's teams consistently showed up to compete, I doubt this would be the case...
But they don’t. So let’s not rewrite this to audit your narrative.

The fact is Americans love winners and Americans love the sports that they are the best at. This was not a good tournament for the women’s team, but they were handicapped by injuries and a terrible manager. Also the other country are catching up because of the respect for the game that is largely because of the success of the women’s team and others wanting to replicate it. Look at the history of the England team.

If you want to dump on them because that’s your prerogative, go ahead. But at least be honest about why you think this team is so evil

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
As for the political garbage, there's a certain portion of US media that likes calling other people un-American; and that's why they call someone not signing during an anthem "protesting" when it isn't.

It's quite ironic that they're calling the USWNT players un-American or not patriotic, when they're rooting for the team to lose... because they're full of lesbians and people who want social justice.

I saw an article that "Rapinoe poisoned the USWNT to be unpatriotic" which is just batshit.

When the USWNT actually WAS protesting during the anthem, it wasn't Rapinoe that started it. It was the white, straight and married player, who got a phone call to bring her husband's wallet to a traffic stop; and by the time she got there, the cops had her husband cuffed face down on the asphalt for the crime of driving a nice car while being black.

But the married, Christian woman doesn't fit their narrative, so they say it's the neon-haired lesbian because their whole schtick is "Be afraid of people who are different from you and that you don't understand; so you don't notice we're redistributing your money to CEO's pockets."

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The crazy thing about this seasons WWC is that the "Path to the Final" was kind of set-up backwards...

You expect:
R16: good but not looking like the #1 team in the tournament opponent.
R8: Team that looks has an amazing offense, but lackluster defense and isn't ranked in the top four
QF: Extremely well rounded team that looks excellent on both sides of the ball this tourney
Final: Highest rated team left in the tourney.

And the US path was the exact opposite: #3 Sweden, Japan, likely Spain, then likely England or France.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Imagine wanting these women to be the face of your country...

Lol this is so pathetic.

I don't take any pride in soccer, and especially not women's soccer so their success wouldn't do much for me. Maybe if we had a likable team it would draw me in but this group just further pushes me away

So why are you in here?

Jovavic

Concept of a Plan
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Why is a global allowed to troll a thread? Never would have happened when I was around. He also turned the thread political which us regular folk have been told not to be doing. If you don't care about the women's WC you shouldn't be allowed to camp in here and make an argument revolve around you.
Furthermore, I had no idea global mods were allow to troll, had I known that I might've applied in the 20+ years I've been here!

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why is a global allowed to troll a thread? Never would have happened when I was around. He also turned the thread political which us regular folk have been told not to be doing. If you don't care about the women's WC you shouldn't be allowed to camp in here and make an argument revolve around you.
I didn't turn anything political, all I said is I don't like the team. No different than voicing one's displeasure about any of the hundreds of other teams, club or national, discussed on this website...

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Yeah if I was still a Global moderator trolling theads, I think I would be told to leave

Dec 15, 2002
Muscovic was incredible.Forget gender, that's among the best goalie performances I have ever seen.
It was a great performance. Greatest I've ever seen? Just right off the top of my head, Tim Howard in 2014 was pretty goddamn spectacular even if in a losing effort. Muscovic made a couple really good saves, but my recollection is that virtually all USWNT's shots were right at her. All she had to do was stay in the way, and on Horan's shot get her hand out to deflect it.

The crazy thing about this seasons WWC is that the "Path to the Final" was kind of set-up backwards...

You expect:
R16: good but not looking like the #1 team in the tournament opponent.
R8: Team that looks has an amazing offense, but lackluster defense and isn't ranked in the top four
QF: Extremely well rounded team that looks excellent on both sides of the ball this tourney
Final: Highest rated team left in the tourney.

And the US path was the exact opposite: #3 Sweden, Japan, likely Spain, then likely England or France.
Even if the US had won its group, it was still looking at Spain and Japan before the final; it just would have had a pretty easy R16 match with South Africa. Not winning the group meant Sweden was first, which made the path that much more difficult.

Using the Qatar '22 setup for the knockout stage, USA winning the group would have meant a R16 matchup with Jamaica before getting Sweden, then very likely Japan, then England/France/whoever. Not winning the group would have meant France off the bat, a comparatively easier QF against Colombia/South Africa, then almost certainly England. And, in that setup it would have been England/Spain in R16 and Netherlands/Sweden in the QF.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I didn't turn anything political, all I said is I don't like the team. No different than voicing one's displeasure about any of the hundreds of other teams, club or national, discussed on this website...
So if it’s not political, then why is this team so unlikable? It’s not because they lost today since you’ve been saying they are unlikable for weeks. Usually the people that are as anti- this team as you have clearly demonstrated is because they don’t like the team’s politics/activism/etc.?

So what is it?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
So if it’s not political, then why is this team so unlikable? It’s not because they lost today since you’ve been saying they are unlikable for weeks. Usually the people that are as anti- this team as you have clearly demonstrated is because they don’t like the team’s politics/activism/etc.?

So what is it?
This isn't directed at me, but I'll chime in and say my disdain is 100% from what I saw on the field.

They bottles chances against Vietnam that no competent team at this level has any business missing.

A total lack of urgency in all three group stage games except for 15 minutes against the Netherlands. They looked like they couldn't be bothered out there and thought they'd waltz to the top of the group. They lacked the winning mentality.

They looked slower than in years prior. As some have pointed out, they lacked that midfield engine player or two that got the ball back in the defending third and jump started the offense the other way.

Morgan looked cooked. Rodman and Smith looked their age. The other way, so did Rapinoe and Ertz. Just a bad mix of players that didn't gel together well.

Reactions: lilphildub

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This isn't directed at me, but I'll chime in and say my disdain is 100% from what I saw on the field.

They bottles chances against Vietnam that no competent team at this level has any business missing.

A total lack of urgency in all three group stage games except for 15 minutes against the Netherlands. They looked like they couldn't be bothered out there and thought they'd waltz to the top of the group. They lacked the winning mentality.

They looked slower than in years prior. As some have pointed out, they lacked that midfield engine player or two that got the ball back in the defending third and jump started the offense the other way.

Morgan looked cooked. Rodman and Smith looked their age. The other way, so did Rapinoe and Ertz. Just a bad mix of players that didn't gel together well.
That’s different than coming in here and pre-deciding that you were going to hate them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I guess the global mods are allowed to do that though?
It’s not an attack on any person here, and this is not a team forum, but you’re welcome to make a report if you wish.

Personally, I abstain and defer when it comes to threads I actively participate in.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I mean, it didn't seem like many of the players on the team had much pride in the country they purport to represent. They seemed more interested in making statements. At the end of the day this was a flawed team that couldn't rise to the challenge.
Which players.. be specific please and why

I don't take any pride in soccer, and especially not women's soccer so their success wouldn't do much for me. Maybe if we had a likable team it would draw me in but this group just further pushes me away
So, what made them unlikable to you?

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad