All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Which players.. be specific please and why

So, what made them unlikable to you?
I dislike Megan Rapinoe because of her quotes in 2019 about how "she deserves this." I would dislike probably any athlete who spoke that way, unless they are comical about it. Many people can dislike a team for a single player. Many people hate the Boston Bruins because of Brad Marchand. Many people have hated Evander Kane because of things he has done in the past. The same goes for Johnny Manziel. Often, it means the people want the team they play on to lose. There is a large portion of any population that prefers a more graceful and humble approach to team sports.

I prefer players who are more graceful about winning. I want players who appear prideful to get knocked down a peg so they learn humility. Often players who were once prideful learn humility through bad times. That is what I want.

Reactions: D Wakaluk

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I dislike Megan Rapinoe because of her quotes in 2019 about how "she deserves this." I would dislike probably any athlete who spoke that way, unless they are comical about it. Many people can dislike a team for a single player. Many people hate the Boston Bruins because of Brad Marchand. Many people have hated Evander Kane because of things he has done in the past. The same goes for Johnny Manziel. Often, it means the people want the team they play on to lose. There is a large portion of any population that prefers a more graceful and humble approach to team sports.

I prefer players who are more graceful about winning. I want players who appear prideful to get knocked down a peg so they learn humility. Often players who were once prideful learn humility through bad times. That is what I want.
I mean, you can dislike whomever your want for whatever reason you want.

I just find it funny when people who barely follow the sport, if they do at all, come running to the soccer board to tell us how much they dislike the US women's team... when a VERY SPECIFIC group of people have been going after them for weeks. I mean, if you do not want to be associated with that group, do not behave like them.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I just find it funny when people who barely follow the sport, if they do at all, come running to the soccer board to tell us how much they dislike the US women's team... when a VERY SPECIFIC group of people have been going after them for weeks. I mean, if you do not want to be associated with that group, do not behave like them.
I’ve never seen any of these people on this board before, including the global mod, who decided to come here and just dump on the women’s team unprovoked. It’s either trolling or they wanted to find a buddy that shared their view

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Team USA was pretty lethargic the whole tournament. This is not a surprise to me. Maybe they will re-evaluate this team now. The Olympic performance was not enough of a wake up call.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Team USA was pretty lethargic the whole tournament. This is not a surprise to me. Maybe they will re-evaluate this team now. The Olympic performance was not enough of a wake up call.
Problem is much deeper than that... and Canada is facing the same reality. Europe has decided to take womens football seriously and, since they already had the right infrastructures in place, are catching up at lightning speeds.

All major clubs in Europe now have a serious womens team and many have the development structure that goes with it. It is a question of time before the US are middle of the pack at best... and before Canada is an afterthought.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Problem is much deeper than that... and Canada is facing the same reality. Europe has decided to take womens football seriously and, since they already had the right infrastructures in place, are catching up at lightning speeds.

All major clubs in Europe now have a serious womens team and many have the development structure that goes with it. It is a question of time before the US are middle of the pack at best... and before Canada is an afterthought.
The big clubs putting serious money into their women's teams is the biggest factor for sure. It's amazing how far the leagues and the women's champions league has come in quality in a fairly short time.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

It's true. That's part of the wake up call Team USA needs. But we'll see if they can measure up now that more nations are investing in their own teams.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

All the evidence in the world of an actual U.S. President trying to overturn an election — including statements from his own Vice President — cannot sway people who believe Brittney Griner and Megan Rapinoe are traitors, Phil Mickelson and Ted Leonsis are patriots, and a U.S. flag should be respected by athletes as fans wear it proudly around their private parts.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's true. That's part of the wake up call Team USA needs. But we'll see if they can measure up now that more nations are investing in their own teams.
They can measure up if they decide to use the structure they have built for the men. There is a womens league in NA, but it is marginal at best. France was a precursor by forcing teams to spend a percentage of their budget on a womens team. MLS, USL and CPL (in Canada) have to do the same.

I think it is doable in the US, but it will be very hard in Canada. The federation is in deep trouble and the CPL owners are basically controlling all the revenues.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
England population is 55 million

Nigeria is 213 million

England should be played off the pitch, frankly.
Canada has 40,000,000 people and cranks out the best players in the NHL. With the amount of coverage the premier league gets and its popularity you’d expect that England would be a good country internationally.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Canada has 40,000,000 people and cranks out the best players in the NHL. With the amount of coverage the premier league gets and its popularity you’d expect that England would be a good country internationally.
England also pretty recently banned/unbanned women’s soccer and started to care about that team

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Nice assumptions. I’ve watched almost all the games during this World Cup. I think you need to re-evaluate yourself if you think if X dislikes Y it’s because of Z. You have clearly muddied the waters and are being irrational by attributing motive to comments you have no deeper understanding of.

England also pretty recently banned/unbanned women’s soccer and started to care about that team
Mens team is pretty abysmal too.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Nice assumptions. I’ve watched almost all the games during this World Cup. I think you need to re-evaluate yourself if you think if X dislikes Y it’s because of Z. You have clearly muddied the waters and are being irrational by attributing motive to comments you have no deeper understanding of.

Mens team is pretty abysmal too.
Did I quote you or refered to you? At least 4 posters that you never saw here, including you, came here and bitched about the US team. I just said it is difficult to deduce anything else considering the current social climate AND the consorted effort from a certain group to belittle the team.

If you feel that it does not apply to you, fair enough.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Did I quote you or refered to you? At least 4 posters that you never saw here, including you, came here and bitched about the US team. I just said it is difficult to deduce anything else considering the current social climate AND the consorted effort from a certain group to belittle the team.

We do seem to get a lot of randos shitting on the US men's team when they get eliminated as well, though I'm not sure they are as often described as "unlikeable." I don't like all the USWNT players for...whatever reasons, but I also can't stand Wynalda, Twellman, Lalas, etc..., sometimes certain personalities rub you the wrong way. I'm just not sure why anyone would spend a lot of time following or expending energy on thinking about the team if they dislike them collectively that much.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Where were you? I don’t remember seeing you at all at any other games here? Maybe you aren’t the one following the sport? I’ve been posting on this page during the mens World Cup and for the majority of this World Cup as well. Maybe you shouldn’t consider yourself the arbiter of truth because you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about since you think your short observation is somehow correct. Be more humble before you start making some short sighted statements.

Also, do you attribute motive to people who don’t like Messi or Ronaldo as somehow of a political statement or do you think people are allowed to just not like players and teams.

For example, I really enjoy everything about team Japan which is why I’m rooting for them even though I have no affiliation to them.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The ignore feature is a nice option for some of these people who seem to have just showed up to trash the US Women.

Also, for anyone who didn't know, Apple TV has a documentary series on the Matildas. I watched the first episode, which was ok. Features a lot of Sam Kerr, not surprisingly.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Where were you? I don’t remember seeing you at all at any other games here? Maybe you aren’t the one following the sport? I’ve been posting on this page during the mens World Cup and for the majority of this World Cup as well. Maybe you shouldn’t consider yourself the arbiter of truth because you clearly have no idea what you’re talking about since you think your short observation is somehow correct. Be more humble before you start making some short sighted statements.

Also, do you attribute motive to people who don’t like Messi or Ronaldo as somehow of a political statement or do you think people are allowed to just not like players and teams.

For example, I really enjoy everything about team Japan which is why I’m rooting for them even though I have no affiliation to them.
I guess there is nothing to be gained from this discussion. I will wish you a good day.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
We do seem to get a lot of randos shitting on the US men's team when they get eliminated as well, though I'm not sure they are as often described as "unlikeable." I don't like all the USWNT players for...whatever reasons, but I also can't stand Wynalda, Twellman, Lalas, etc..., sometimes certain personalities rub you the wrong way. I'm just not sure why anyone would spend a lot of time following or expending energy on thinking about the team if they dislike them collectively that much.
No, and that's part of the problem.

Random people showing up to shit on national teams is not unusual at all. Of course, casual fans will pay more attention during big competitions. Heck, that's how many got into the sport in the first place.

The weird thing about the backlash against the USWNT is the nature of the attacks. On HF, it is not THAT bad mainly due to the rules, but on social media, my gosh...

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I have not posted in this section before; hope my opinion is still valid....

NWSL is not the top women's league anymore. The US womens team is not in decline; it's just the rest of the women's teams have caught up. Japan, Spain, England, Netherlands, and Sweden looked very good from what I saw. Especially Japan - they moved the ball round very very well.

The US will adapt to this fact, and pick up their game moving forward. Yes, that means some of the holdovers got a bit over confident, but it doesn't make them bad people, they just didn't pay close enough attention to the overall scene.

While it won't be easy, they will bounce back next go around...

1691442639427.png

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I have not posted in this section before; hope my opinion is still valid....

NWSL is not the top women's league anymore. The US womens team is not in decline; it's just the rest of the women's teams have caught up. Japan, Spain, England, Netherlands, and Sweden looked very good from what I saw. Especially Japan - they moved the ball round very very well.

The US will adapt to this fact, and pick up their game moving forward. Yes, that means some of the holdovers got a bit over confident, but it doesn't make them bad people, they just didn't pay close enough attention to the overall scene.

While it won't be easy, they will bounce back next go around...

View attachment 734253
Taking a big risk Howie.. You Misogynistic, American hating, not enough posts to meet the minimum threshold for posting in the all encompassing women's football thread... jerk. welcome aboard.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

Ding ding ding. Sums it up very well.

Reactions: robertmac43

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Hot take: US women's domination ended when European club sides decided to focus on their women's teams too and the leagues improved significantly.
I don't think this is a hot take. North America has shit infrastructure and organization for soccer, Europe has world class infrastructure and organization. As soon as more than 5 European clubs started putting money into the women's side (Chelsea, Arsenal, Lyon, Barcelona, and Wolfsburg that I can think of have for a long time now), the game was over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad