All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I wouldn't call it a fluke. They have the talent to do better than they did this year, the organization is just a joke. They will likely lose to Jamaica in September and fail t qualify for the next Olympics at this rate, because it's not like the organization will pay for them to train or play warmup friendlies.
They do have some talent, but they are just not good enough. They can't score goals and sadly the wonderful goddess Sinclair is past her prime, years ago. They also keep picking Schmitt and she sucks. Yes, to make it even worse,.the Canadian organization is beyond pathetic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Imagine cheering against your own national team. Pathetic.
I get it from a like fan-of-the-sport angle, like it’s better for Latvia to win a bronze medal in the hockey world championships than the US. Or the off-chance that anyone in women’s hockey beats the US or Canada, because I find that just so tiring, but I’m willing to bet almost nobody is doing that in a ‘wow! Well, good for them!’ way.

Ultimately, the sins of the group stage caught up to them. I did not think they’d be up to the task based on what I saw of them without Rose Lavelle. The 2 teams of this caliber, could’ve been a final or semifinal. The gut punch comes because it’s the round of 16. It happens, all the time. But it’s good for new shooters here to forge a path.

Also the kits were cool and original and I’ll miss them.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Imagine wanting these women to be the face of your country...
Why would you actively cheer against your national team even if you don't like a few players on the team? Is pride in your nation doing well at an international competition not greater than any individual on the team?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
who should be the face of the country?
IMG_5202.jpeg

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why would you actively cheer against your national team even if you don't like a few players on the team? Is pride in your nation doing well at an international competition not greater than any individual on the team?
I don't take any pride in soccer, and especially not women's soccer so their success wouldn't do much for me. Maybe if we had a likable team it would draw me in but this group just further pushes me away

Reactions: Filthy Dangles
Dec 15, 2002
In the end, it all comes down to Andonovski. I'm typically not in favor of judging purely on results, but there are times where you can look at what's going on and say "this isn't working, there needs to be a change." Even with good teams, there are times where you can tell "this is all the coach can give, if you want to be better you need to find a better coach." That's where the USWNT sits right now. It was obvious for a long time, and it seemed like U.S. Soccer was hell bent to die on Andonovski's hill. You could see the lack of strategy, the lack of cohesiveness and the struggles in situations the USWNT was not accustomed to, but the mentality for a while has been it's the USWNT, don't worry about this, it's not that important, what matters is the World Cup, they'll get their act together in time.\

Except, it never did. If it had, as someone else pointed out it would have been South Africa in R16 and then Spain in the QF. Still not an easy match - our side of the bracket as it was set up was loaded compared to the other side - but I'd rather Spain than Japan at that point. Maybe it's good that USWNT lost here, because I think Japan would thrash them 4-1 or 5-1. I might be kind about us getting the 1. It would have been more ugly than Brazil blitzing the USWNT 4-0 back in the 2007 semis. It would have been clinical and deadly.

And that's where you're at right now with Andonovski: do you have any faith that he can coach this squad to victory over the other top teams in the world? Do you see anything in his work that says it's going to get better, that what we saw is a short-term blip? Cause, I sure as hell don't. Sure, there's roster questions and maybe our best group is just down relative to the rest of the world, but you expect a head coach to squeeze something more out of the players they're given. I can't say I recall Andonovski ever doing that, and I can't see him ever doing it either. And that's why I can't see how you let him stay on as head coach, especially after this WC performance.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I mean, it didn't seem like many of the players on the team had much pride in the country they purport to represent. They seemed more interested in making statements. At the end of the day this was a flawed team that couldn't rise to the challenge.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't take any pride in soccer, and especially not women's soccer so their success wouldn't do much for me. Maybe if we had a likable team it would draw me in but this group just further pushes me away
You care so little about this you had to come into the thread about it to express your relief at them being knocked out. Right.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I mean does ANYONE take more pride in the women's teams in any sport than the men's? Because I've certainly never seen that
Canada's women soccer team has been way more successful and competitive than our men's program for decades, so yes. When the men's program starts generating better talent (which they are working on at least), maybe that will change.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Canada's women soccer team has been way more successful and competitive than our men's program for decades, so yes. When the men's program starts generating better talent (which they are working on at least), maybe that will change.

Yes. The USA with their national women’s team compared to their national men’s team
If the men's teams consistently showed up to compete, I doubt this would be the case...

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Muscovic was incredible.Forget gender, that's among the best goalie performances I have ever seen.

Reactions: adsfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad