All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’ve been following hockey for 27 years, I can assure you that there is no chance the NHL knows something everyone else doesn’t.

I have to think they just do not have the confidence any system is capable of getting a call that close

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Most unlikable World Cup team I can remember. Buh bye!

And here you are posting about them so I guess they did their job by attracting haters to the sport.

Nobody was really unlikable, they were just transitioing in youth into an aging core. Youth didn't really do much either.

Well at least I don't have to watch a 3 AM Japan - USA game they'd likely lose, live. :yo:

1. Youth was bad
2. Coach is a bigger imbecile than Berhalter which I wouldn't imagine that being possible as someone who watches both national teams a lot
3. Veterans were bad
4. Sweden goalie played out of her skin
5. They lost a game they arguably played their best which shows how cruel sports are in the end.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Nobody was really unlikable, they were just transitioing in youth into an aging core. Youth didn't really do much either.

Well at least I don't have to watch a 3 AM Japan - USA game they'd likely lose, live. :yo:
Knew this was going to be a slog as soon as I saw them pissing away chances in their first game.

Not clinical at all with finishing and lacked urgency all tournament. The manager tried to adjust but the personnel let him down. He'll resign in the coming days but I will go against the grain and say the players let him down.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
And here you are posting about them so I guess they did their job by attracting haters to the sport.

1. Youth was bad
2. Coach is a bigger imbecile than Berhalter which I wouldn't imagine that being possible as someone who watches both national teams a lot
3. Veterans were bad
4. Sweden goalie played out of her skin
5. They lost a game they arguably played their best which shows how cruel sports are in the end.
Not hating. It's the truth. Sucked all of group stage and absolutely bottled two chances to win.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
On another note, how does hockey get that kind of goal line technology?

It’s not really possible in the NHL. In tennis and soccer it’s based on a bunch of cameras having enough of a view of the ball to build a 3D model of where it it.

In hockey that just isn’t possible given the bodies in the crease and the goalie blocking cameras whenever it would be relevant.

NHL would have to use something like 3+ of GPS chips in the puck to get position and orientation, but those just aren’t accurate enough now.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Not hating. It's the truth. Sucked all of group stage and absolutely bottled two chances to win.

Who cares? Shootouts are absurd to way to end an elimination game at a world tournament in every sport. Rapinoe and Smith were the right choices and they both missed. Alyssa Naeher f***ing scored on Musovic, like come on, how do you need any more proof that the format sucks? Imagine 2010 ending on a shootout v Canada instead of Crosby scoring the OT winner. And sure, they sucked in the groups but I explained why that happened above. Vladtko is the biggest issue and he'll probably be dismissed shortly from the USWNT and probably land a cushy job for Berhalter with how trash this federation is with coaching hires.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Who cares? Shootouts are absurd to way to end an elimination game at a world tournament in every sport. Rapinoe and Smith were the right choices and they both missed. Alyssa Naeher f***ing scored on Musovic, like come on, how do you need any more proof that the format sucks? Imagine 2010 ending on a shootout v Canada instead of Crosby scoring the OT winner. And sure, they sucked in the groups but I explained why that happened above. Vladtko is the biggest issue and he'll probably be dismissed shortly from the USWNT and probably land a cushy job for Berhalter with how trash this federation is with coaching hires.

They likely will eventually go to no shootouts in the final and the gold/bronze games in the Olympics but they cannot really do it in the previous elimination rounds because one, you have another game scheduled on the same field afterwards often times and two its going to ruin the quality of the next game and probably effectively kill the team who wins if it goes long. Unlike hockey they are covering a huge area and are not on skates

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Won't disagree there. Golden goal after the 90th minute is the only correct way to settle any elimination game in any sport.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
They likely will eventually go to no shootouts in the final and the gold/bronze games in the Olympics but they cannot really do it in the previous elimination rounds because one, you have another game scheduled on the same field afterwards often times and two its going to ruin the quality of the next game and probably effectively kill the team who wins if it goes long. Unlike hockey they are covering a huge area and are not on skates

With the amount of stadiums they have for every WC, you can legit have lower seeded group teams fly to group winners where they had their group games and separate it by the day. Like if a Group A winner playing a Group B one day and then the inverse the next day and you'd only need 8 stadiums that way for the Rof16. The shootout is fine for what it does and it's arguably the most thrilling way to decide a game in sports but it's still the dumbest way if you really want to talk about the world's best.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
It's not the look you want to be remembered for when your tasked with coming on as a super sub and you end up playing like @$$.

This is why I'd hate it if a team I'm rooting for is thinking of picking up an "activist" player.

The more they spend time becoming an activist, the less time they spend being an athlete.

This isn’t fair. First, do you actually know how much her activism has taken away from her training? I doubt you do. Second, she’s had a great career and has been one of the best players on the world’s best team for a long time. Finally, she’s 38 years old. The time has come for her just like it does for everyone. Is Alex Morgan an activist? Because she sure didn’t look very good during this tournament, and she was a starter.

Age catches up with everyone.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not even surprised Canada got booted out of the world cup early. Their gold medal win was sadly a fluke. Equivalent to Italy wining the Euros.
I wouldn't call it a fluke. They have the talent to do better than they did this year, the organization is just a joke. They will likely lose to Jamaica in September and fail t qualify for the next Olympics at this rate, because it's not like the organization will pay for them to train or play warmup friendlies.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It’s not really possible in the NHL. In tennis and soccer it’s based on a bunch of cameras having enough of a view of the ball to build a 3D model of where it it.

In hockey that just isn’t possible given the bodies in the crease and the goalie blocking cameras whenever it would be relevant.

NHL would have to use something like 3+ of GPS chips in the puck to get position and orientation, but those just aren’t accurate enough now.

Cameras had to be under the ice inside the goal and see through ice. Not sure how possible that would be, but ice could be made differently inside the goal to make it transparent.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Super happy Sweden won. Can't stand anyone from the US womens team.

I'm not even surprised Canada got booted out of the world cup early. Their gold medal win was sadly a fluke. Equivalent to Italy wining the Euros.

Not the best comparison. Italy dominated at the WC (aside from Spain) and had a crazy good record prior. Mancini just failed to adapt and relied on the same aging XI to take them to the WC.

I would say it's closer to Portugal 2016 who only won 3 of 7 matches (PK counts as a draw) to win a Euro Cup while their generational player sat on the bench. Canada only won 2 of 6 matches (again noting that PK's = draw) in 2021.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad