All-Encompassing Womens Soccer Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
FfqNJV4UUAE3YAv

World Cup draw is out. US in with the Dutch isn't ideal, but Vietnam and one of Cameroon, Thailand or Portugal should see us through rather easily.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Lyon (last year's champions) drew with Juve after losing at home to Arsenal last matchweek. They get two games against Zürich but they could have a tough time getting out of the group with this set of results.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

When the 2022 National Women's Soccer League playoffs kicked off on Oct. 15, members of the Canadian national team were front and centre.

All six clubs that qualified for the post-season had at least one player from Canada's women's team on their respective rosters. Most notable among them was San Diego Wave FC's Kailen Sheridan who earlier this week was named the NWSL goalkeeper of the year, becoming the first Canadian to win one of the league's major individual awards. Sheridan was also named to the NWSL Best XI for the second year in a row.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I'm excited for the Women's World Cup. I'm thrilled the US got drawn into a group playing their games in NZ. I was going to go either way, but I've been to Australia twice, so I'm glad I'll get to see a new country!

Planning to go for all three group stage matches. 🙂

Reactions: robertmac43

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
USWNT lost their 3rd straight last night for the first time since 1993
The day Europe started giving a damn about the sport and actually used its existing club infrastructure to further the womens game was the day the scenario of USWNT losing 3 times in a row became more plausible. Unless the USA and Canada get their shit together, their days in the top 10 will come to an end.

Reactions: GabeTravels

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Canada looking good against Brazil. Good to see some of the next generation get into the team.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Regardless of how USA fare for the rest of the tournament, the women's outfit has already earned more from their progression to the last 16 than they did for winning their own tournaments outright in 2015 and 2019 combined.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
So which countries do you think will advance from the group stages?

Group A:
New Zealand
Norway

Group B:
Australia
Canada

Group C:
Spain
Japan

Group D:
England
China

Group E:
USA
Netherlands

Group F:
France
Brazil

Group G:
Sweden
Italy

Group H:
Germany
South Korea

Last edited:

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Beth England leaves Chelsea for Spurs on a domestic record transfer. She was absolutely amazing the season that Kirby missed, but was always gonna be the odd one out once Kirby came back and we signed Kerr (and then they proceeded to have unbelievable chemistry). Hope she does well at Spurs, and expect that she will.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Group A:
New Zealand
Norway

Group B:
Australia
Canada

Group C:
Spain
Japan

Group D:
England
China

Group E:
USA
Netherlands

Group F:
France
Brazil

Group G:
Sweden
Italy

Group H:
Germany
South Korea

We have similar favorites except for Grp A. I believe it will be Norway and the Philippines that will advance not only because of bias as a supporter of the PWNT but because of how they have been playing lately. They have done reasonably well in friendlies in Europe(2 wins and a loss) and the Americas despite missing a lot of players and they continue to build on those by gaining experience adding even better players and improving system of play. Most of their Fil Am players are products of the US NCAA college system and as an American myself think deserve our support.

I think we will find out in the February friendlies what their chances would look like in World Cup or not since they will be playing in the Pinatar Cup in Spain against #32 ranked Wales, #25 Scotland and 16th ranked Iceland all higher ranked than them at the moment and with similar levels of play as the teams they will be facing in their WWC group..

Last edited:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
We have similar favorites except for Grp A. I believe it will be Norway and the Philippines that will advance not only because of bias as a supporter of the PWNT but because of how they have been playing lately. They have done reasonably well in friendlies in Europe(2 wins and a loss) and the Americas despite missing a lot of players and they continue to build on those by gaining experience adding even better players and system of play. Most of their Fil Am players are products of the US NCAA college system and as an American myself think deserve our support.

I think we will find out in the February friendlies what their chances would look like in World Cup or not since they will be playing in the Pinatar Cup in Spain against Wales, Scotland and Iceland.

Fair enough, I lean heavily into host countries usually (Except Qatar).

Its the first 32 team world cup so it'll be interesting to see how all the newcomer teams perform against some of the best teams. We'll see how far the women's game has come.

Reactions: Tryamw and cjeagle

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Fair enough, I lean heavily into host countries usually (Except Qatar).

Its the first 32 team world cup so it'll be interesting to see how all the newcomer teams perform against some of the best teams. We'll see how far the women's game has come.

The chances are pretty small but I hope the Philippines makes the same impact at the Women's World Cup as Morocco has done in the Men's World Cup.

Indeed in Grp A New Zealand as host will have the advantage but they have never actually won a game in the previous editions of the World Cup they have played so this will be their best opportunity for them to do that as asides from Norway there are no other top 20 ranked nations in the group.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Sarina Weigman is a very good gaffer for the Lionesses. They will be a force to be reckoned with later this year.

Be interesting to see if US can defend the title. No team has ever won 3 straight WWC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad