AEW All Elite Wrestling #8: Grabbing the Brass Ring of Honor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Appropriately using his TNA theme no less. Good stuff... amused to see him.

I like Jarrett, he's in great shape, and has a ton of knowledge that could help TK if he actually picked Jarrett's brain, but why have the other nobody from the factory do the fake sting thing first? Seems like a bit much there to me

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I missed the first 10 minutes or so last night and just got there to see Darby take a chair shot. I thought it was a bad show. Highlights were The Elite tease, whatever they call Black’s group again tease, Pac still being alive and Ocho calling out whoever that was in the crowd.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
When Joe almost landed on his head I'm not sure how much he helped Cage to flip himself but on the samoan drop type move Joe seemed to bend his knees and jump and Cage still barely completed the move. Maybe he is Gillberg in a muscle suit.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I'm beginning to head in the direction of at least not being as entertaining as it used to be. I think the ROH titles have negatively impacted the product. Either get ROH a regular show for its own titles or shelve the titles until ROH has its own show. They keep bringing in new people that I care less and less about while others I would be more interested in seeing are off TV. Scatterbrained may be the best way to describe the product at the moment. So much happening and it's a struggle to keep up let alone care. Not that the entire product is that way, some stories are more or less okay, however in general AEW is not as enjoyable as it used to be.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't get Tony Khan's obsession with failed wrestling promotions like TNA/Impact or ROH.

Here he is trying to establish a new brand (AEW) and yet wasting valuable airtime reference/promoting/associating/whatever two old brands that after nearly 20 years of existence are essentially failed promotions that never grew beyond a small hardcore niche audience.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't get Tony Khan's obsession with failed wrestling promotions like TNA/Impact or ROH.

Here he is trying to establish a new brand (AEW) and yet wasting valuable airtime reference/promoting/associating/whatever two old brands that after nearly 20 years of existence are essentially failed promotions that never grew beyond a small hardcore niche audience.
It makes sense if there is a deal to stream and/or broadcast a separate ROH show in the near future. Which it sounds like there is. You are sacrificing a bit in the short term for the long term growth of the company as a whole essentially. If there is no deal coming for ROH then it is all a waste of time lol

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It makes sense if there is a deal to stream and/or broadcast a separate ROH show in the near future. Which it sounds like there is. You are sacrificing a bit in the short term for the long term growth of the company as a whole essentially. If there is no deal coming for ROH then it is all a waste of time lol

If he wants to own and promote ROH he would of been much better served keeping it completely separate from AEW and re-building the ROH brand so it has more value and is better established. Then he can incorporate the ROH into his AEW programming.

The way he is doing it now is completely backwards and is doing neither brand any favors. To casual fans who didn't follow ROH, it's basically Jericho vs. random jobber each week for the ROH title, as they don't know who these guys are.

I should point out I don't have an issue with Khan acquiring the ROH trademarks and tape library. That part was smart as the tape library alone has value due to the numerous current talents across pro wrestling that spent time working in ROH.

The association with Jarrett befuddles me. Like what exactly does he bring to the table? Fans were sick of him 20 years ago.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If he wants to own and promote ROH he would of been much better served keeping it completely separate from AEW and re-building the ROH brand so it has more value and is better established. Then he can incorporate the ROH into his AEW programming.

The way he is doing it now is completely backwards and is doing neither brand any favors. To casual fans who didn't follow ROH, it's basically Jericho vs. random jobber each week for the ROH title, as they don't know who these guys are.

I should point out I don't have an issue with Khan acquiring the ROH trademarks and tape library. That part was smart as the tape library alone has value due to the numerous current talents across pro wrestling that spent time working in ROH.

The association with Jarrett befuddles me. Like what exactly does he bring to the table? Fans were sick of him 20 years ago.
But how would he build the ROH brand separate from AEW when ROH doesn't have it's own platform to be a separate brand? That is the issue. I am assuming they have the belt on Jericho for the name value when they do get their own show, which in turn gives the rub to whoever they put over him as the next ROH champ. I mean he did face Claudio last week as well which isn't exactly a jobber lol. If there isn't some kind of announcement about a streaming deal or something substantial for ROH by the end of the month though it is time to pull the cord on it for a while anyways.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But how would he build the ROH brand separate from AEW when ROH doesn't have it's own platform to be a separate brand? That is the issue. I am assuming they have the belt on Jericho for the name value when they do get their own show, which in turn gives the rub to whoever they put over him as the next ROH champ. I mean he did face Claudio last week as well which isn't exactly a jobber lol. If there isn't some kind of announcement about a streaming deal or something substantial for ROH by the end of the month though it is time to pull the cord on it for a while anyways.

He could use YouTube same as he's doing with AEW Dark. He doesn't need a TV deal to run PPVs. Plenty of avenues here in 2022 to advertise and promote.

I wouldn't have an issue with him advertising ROH PPVs on AEW TV say in a quick banner ad at the start of a match. That is as far as I would go.

I just think he really overestimates the brand and performer recognition of ROH among more casual fans, the same casual fans he needs to grow AEW. I don't see how it did anyone any favors to run Colt Cabana out there against Jericho this past week. Advertised as a former "ROH Champion" and out comes an out-of-shape Cabana in what can only be described as a looking like a complete jobber to fans who don't know him. Guys from mid-1990s WWF enhancement matches looked more credible. Like that is what new fans are suppose to think about ROH? Was there anything about Cabana's performance to entice them to tune into the next ROH PPV?

Reactions: Khelandros

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Haven't watched in months. Who is it nowadays?
I’ve been only catching up on it, but Taz and Excalibur have been the most common. Loved Excalibur in PWG and Taz is really blossoming in AEW imo, but they go way off topic and joke around the whole show pretty much lol

Reactions: TD Charlie
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad