AEW All Elite Wrestling #8: Grabbing the Brass Ring of Honor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just watching the show now. MJF truly is the king on mic and no one come close

Why? Because he screams and swears and drops WWE into his promos all the time?

I thought the whole thing made MJF look like a little b%%$%. Seriously like an email from a prospective employee telling you "nah we ain't interested" is what gets you fired up?

How can most people relate to that when regular normal people are told "No" by potential employers all the time. How can a guy who slanging out resume after resume trying to find a job relate to MJF at all?

Regal saved that promo because it was just more of MJF whining and crying literally at the top of his lungs.

As a viewer I'm done with MJFs cheap heat schtick. He's like Bray Wyatt in a sense as far as mic-work goes. Great delivery, but there is no substance there.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

I thought the whole thing made MJF look like a little b%%$%. Seriously like an email from a prospective employee telling you "nah we ain't interested" is what gets you fired up?

How can most people relate to that when regular normal people are told "No" by potential employers all the time. How can a guy who slanging out resume after resume trying to find a job relate to MJF at all?

Regal saved that promo because it was just more of MJF whining and crying literally at the top of his lungs.

As a viewer I'm done with MJFs cheap heat schtick. He's like Bray Wyatt in a sense as far as mic-work goes. Great delivery, but there is no substance there.
MJF is supposed to be a spoiled brat.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
So he needs to scream and swear every promo?

I thought last nights segment about an email to Regal when he was 19 years-old was cringeworthy.
You’re in the heavy minority (but that’s fine, everybody is entitled to their opinion)

It set the internet on fire for a reason

Reactions: BruinDust

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You’re in the heavy minority (but that’s fine, everybody is entitled to their opinion)

It set the internet on fire for a reason

I'm definitely in the minority no doubt. And that's fine.

It's not like I think MJF sucks or anything like that. But ever since his promo where he went ballistic on Khan then disappeared, I find him and his whining insider schtick way over the top. Swearing for no reason really. I don't mind swearing in pro wrestling but it's definitely a case of "less is more" so that when a performer does swear in a promo it has meaning. Same with the over-the-top screaming now every promo. It looses it's impact when its done to often.

Dropping WWE tid-bits like "Jolly Saint Nick" doesn't make the promo good either. Once again pulling back the curtain by constantly referencing a competing wrestling company or your future contract status wears thin quickly as well.

I think with the right guidance MJF has tremendous potential. But to me he's not a finished product and his gimmick since his Tony Khan promo/rant a few months ago is wearing thin for me. Personally I don't want to ever hear a pro wrester cut a promo talking about how great he is on the mic cutting promos.

Reactions: TD Charlie and CDJ

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
These guys do a lot of crazy shit but it seems like the simple moves produce more injuries.
Experience leads to complacency. A couple guys have told me that the sign of a good carpenter is a missing finger

Reactions: CDJ

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City

Grown men fake fighting in underwear being relatable isn’t the metric that I use to measure what I find enjoyable about it

Reactions: DaaaaB's

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Grown men fake fighting in underwear being relatable isn’t the metric that I use to measure what I find enjoyable about it

Well I would argue that part of the appeal of arguably the most popular performer of all-time (Steve Austin) was how fans could relate to his character being held down and oppressed by their employer and wanting to beat the tar out of their boss. Living vicariously through the performers in the ring and on-screen is part of the appeal of pro wrestling for many. As is the suspension of disbelief. Maybe not for yourself but for many these two factors are part of the appeal of pro wrestling.

Reactions: Grackle Party

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
MJF was already one of the hottest things in the company and had credibility. His first feud was with Cody. It didn’t help that Jericho was wildly out of shape at that time and that the program went way too long. It’s ok though, there was no holding him back for long. He’s been on a rocketship to the top of the industry since the Punk feud. And Jericho is the best he’s been in 2 years

Like, you realize Jericho gave him a swirlie right? Real credibility right there.

And the program with Jericho gave him more credibility.

Like, you realize MJF threw Jericho off the top of a cage right? So yeah, real credibility.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
And the program with Jericho gave him more credibility.

Like, you realize MJF threw Jericho off the top of a cage right? So yeah, real credibility.
Did a great job putting him over by pinning him at All Out. Couple that with a swirlie and golly gee whiz MJF should be so gracious for the “credibility”

There’s a reason why he took off immediately after that program was done and it’s Not because he got pinned and swirlied by Chris Jericho. Program went WAY too long and had too much stupid shit in it

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think the WWE references work for the gimmick MJF is doing and the issue is more that there are too many WWE references elsewhere in the product and that takes away a lot of the impact of it.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Did a great job putting him over by pinning him at All Out. Couple that with a swirlie and golly gee whiz MJF should be so gracious for the “credibility”

There’s a reason why he took off immediately after that program was done and it’s Not because he got pinned and swirlied by Chris Jericho. Program went WAY too long and had too much stupid shit in it

Yeah, because MJF should have just steamrolled Jericho. That would have worked well.

Program going to long is one thing, but to say he held back MJF which is what you said is bullshit.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, because MJF should have just steamrolled Jericho. That would have worked well.

Program going to long is one thing, but to say he held back MJF which is what you said is bullshit.
Yeah man it was totally great of him to job to a visibly out-of-shape guy who gave him a swirlie after a program that went about 2-3 months too long

Agree to disagree. I don’t think it’s bullshit and I’m not the only that thinks that as I’ve seen others express it (perhaps not in this thread, idk what people think about that saga in MJF’s career in this thread but I would be love to see)

I’m also a huge Jericho fan, I think he’s all-time top 5 fav for me. I never marked out more then when he came back to pro wrestling after his first hiatus

On another note I can’t wait until MJF and Regal get paired together in mid 2023

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah man it was totally great of him to job to a visibly out-of-shape guy who gave him a swirlie after a program that went about 2-3 months too long

Agree to disagree. I don’t think it’s bullshit and I’m not the only that thinks that as I’ve seen others express it (perhaps not in this thread, idk what people think about that saga in MJF’s career in this thread but I would be love to see)

I’m also a huge Jericho fan, I think he’s all-time top 5 fav for me. I never marked out more then when he came back to pro wrestling after his first hiatus

On another note I can’t wait until MJF and Regal get paired together in mid 2023

Yeah, because Jericho getting thrown off a cage by a guy who hadn’t done a ton before that is MJF jobbing to Jericho.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, because Jericho getting thrown off a cage by a guy who hadn’t done a ton before that is MJF jobbing to Jericho.
1C6C5567-5613-49EE-AB46-D9BD4A2B52DA.jpeg

Made him tap too. Damn. but again, agree to disagree. Glad they’re both doing much better stuff now.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Made MJF tap in a potential retirement match after a screw job pin which would have made MJF 4-0 on him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
View attachment 596568

Made him tap too. Damn. but again, agree to disagree. Glad they’re both doing much better stuff now.

This:

Made MJF tap in a potential retirement match after a screw job pin which would have made MJF 4-0 on him.

@CDJ So MJF beat him three times in a row, on top of looking like a badass by throwing him off a cage, but since he lost by submission and got a swirlie (and what kind of match was that again) he was held back by Jericho. No, that’s wrong. No agree to disagree. It’s a false narrative (and I can imagine where you got it from) and you were hyperbolic about it to boot. Who had MJF had a successful program with prior to that? MJF is great, but if were to never lose he’d be really boring. On top of that there’s no reason for him to steamroll everyone else on his way to the top of AEW, especially considering his opponents/potential opponents and how young MJF is relative to those guys.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Nobody remembers any of the losses MJF has had right now. Including the one to the guy he's about to fight for the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad