Proposal: All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ryan is actually in the players assistance program right now. so i'd say probably not.

I forgot that too... but those programs do come to an end

hes definitely a gamble with a lot going on... but theres been a ton of players who go through these issues and similar issues.

eventually if he cant get his act together he becomes someone who we void the contract and it becomes easier for us to get rid of.
or just let it finish up on the ltir

but I think having to play in Ottawa and that mess... has to be rather depressing. if a guy was going to get his crap together it might be after a trade to a good team like boston with some structure

I remember the days of derek sanderson and ron dugay and doc Murdoch and so many wild children of the 1970s... they often needed a break but most of them came back and played some good hockey

recently zack kassian is an example of a guy bottom out and getting help... coming back to be a pretty damn useful player

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
quick question:
I wonder if there's a difference of opinion about what futures you'd sell for a rental based on our ages?
Like if a fan remembers Sinden (whom was one of the all-time great GMs - wanted to make sure I never cut him down) and remembers those years when The Bruins appeared to be just one more impact player away and he'd kinda go a little cheaper and not get them over the top.
Or if you're a bit younger and your experience is more in The Cap era which coincides with tonnes of on-line information, Pens/Hawks build through the draft idea, and this more kind of long view of being a fan. - not sure how to say it properly.

There definitely is a difference, and you can probably add whether you're a fan of other Boston sports teams, or just the Bruins/hockey.

I'm a part of the under 30 group, who was been lucky enough to have enjoyed the Boston sports success of the 21st century and not really remember anything before that.

I probably have more patience, and less of a win now attitude. There's an understanding that you don't want to blow your chances to win a Cup when you're a contender, but I'm also less willing to sacrifice the future for the present, partially because I, hopefully, have many more years of fandom in me, which theoretically means more chances at winning. In that situation, it's hard to see this like it's my last chance to see a Cup victory. I'm not like others who had to wait 86 years for a World Series trophy or almost 40 years for a Stanley Cup, so I don't have that same appreciation. I also don't have the same pessimism. I've also been shaped by the other successful local teams, particularly the Patriots who've had a "Win Always", not "Win Now" approach for 20 years.

Personally, I tend to subscribe to the Billy Beane (Oakland A's GM) theory: "My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is ******* luck."

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So you being the Cap Guru, that you are...
Who did you trade to make these guys fit under the cap and what would the bruins cap hit be?

Heinen.

On trade deadline day

Heinen = $617,228
Blidh to AHL = $270,968

Toffoli in = $1,013,994
Palmieri in = $1,025,000

Total out $$888,196 Total in = $2,038,994

They currently have $4,600,000 in LTIR. If Miller remains out for the year, plenty of room.

If Miller becomes healthy, $4.6 million - his $2.5 million = $2.1 million in space.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I respectfully disagree. You've got this year and next as one of the favourites to win. That's what the TDL is for. It doesn't always work out and yes, you sacrifice some of your future, but I have no problem paying a decent price - including a 1st or top prospect or young roster player - to get a player that can impact the game for the remainder of this year and possibly next.

We may be somewhat in agreement.

I just want the player to be in the plans for more than this season alone, much like Coyle was.

As long as they can find that piece there is no untouchable prospect or draft pick to me.

Reactions: ChargersRookie

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm sorry, but I hate this attitude, mostly because I think it oversimplifies things.

Primarily, I think it overestimates the value of most trade deadline acquisitions. How often are those acquisitions of UFAs-to-be key to winning the Cup? I also think it overestimates the difference between the player you can get for a 1st round pick and one you can get for a 2nd.

There are some rentals who are worth a 1st round pick, but I don't think any of the ones available this year are. If I'm trading a 1st for a rental, I want a true difference-maker. Does that really describe any of the players on the trade block this year? I don't think so.

Players with more years on their contract are a slightly different story, but the Bruins' current cap situation is such that, not only are you trading compensation for the player, but you're likely also preventing yourself from re-signing one or more of your free agents this summer.

Well Kreider is a Boston kid and you saw what happened last year with Coyle. I can see the same thing happen with Kreider.

He is big, strong, fast and can be physical meaning he can impact a game against a speed team like Toronto or a physical team like Washington. That kind of player is not
easily found.

He has been to The SCF, ECF, won a Gold at
WJC and won a couple of NCAA Titles. He has an
absolute winning pedigree.

If Boston makes it to the Coonf Finals more than likely
that pic is in the 28-29 range. I' m willing to take the risk
on Kreider.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
They don’t have enough in a trade for both Toffoli and Palmeiri without giving up one of Beecher , Frederic, Stud, Vaak.. That’s even if Palmieri is available... but you never know is the hope.

That's not true. If they want Palmieri badly enough they can trade
Heinen and Gryz and at that point NJ would have
to add someone like Wood.

Toffoli will cost a 2nd rd pic and maybe a player like
Hughes.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I do wonder that about ages. You and I would've grown up were the Bruins were in the playoffs every year which I've always agreed with and had some incredible teams that unfortunately ran into a few powerhouses along the way. But there's also this part of it that when you have that team - you have to go for it. You just have to. I personally never bad mouth Sinden as I think he did an incredible job - however there were years were you just banged your head against the wall wishing for that one extra guy ... and just not getting him - and it cost them Cups - no doubt.

quick nod to Chiarelli. HF was around when he traded guys like Kalus, Karsums, Lashoff, Colborne, a mid-first (Forbort)(although Tarasenko was drafted right then also) - and wasted the future on guys like Recchi, Horton, Campbell, Seidenberg and Fernandez.

I like Bjork as a player but... ? Jaded enough that I don't take that bet. - and goes with most of the kids. - although I do think of the 6 prospects you mentioned that with the way this roster is set up, 3 centres and 3 LHD, you might see a couple of them come through, but I get your point. Just that there's an easy way for things to fall (Chara retires, Krug leaves, Grz is picked up in expansion) that those three could honestly be your whole left side in two years.

I'm also optimistic enough to think that if you move some of your prospects, picks, that this team has earned my trust enough (and that it's a big market, rich, O6 team) that they're going to replace what they lose one way or another.

Using hindsight as a lens,
the most frustrating thing about those near misses was the fact that there was no cap.

Sinden could have literally traded for anyone in the league to bolster their cup chances and had nothing to worry about other than the assets to get them.

They had plenty of cash and could have taken almost any contract they wanted.

Put that into context of today.....

Palmieri and Kreider in and they’d give up say Heinen, Grizz, Vaak, and a first to get them.
(Maybe more, but that’s debatable)

Done deal because they’re probably re-signing one or both when their deals are up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
kreider is gonna be tough to get. i don't see it as sweeney's unwillingness to move a 1st, it's more
that he'll be up against 8-9 teams to get it done. the 1st is just a start, it's gonna take a good prospect
to get this done as well. i'd be ok moving someone in the zboril range (B/C prospects) but giving
up one of our top 4-5 guys along with a 1st is a no go for me. it may even come down to which
prospect the rangers like best (similar to the grabner deal where like 10 teams offered a 2nd and
prospect and they took rykov from NJ).

I hate to say it, but I think you're going to be right about Kreider. It's going to be very hard to make that deal work between these two teams.

There seems to be more of a fit between Boston and New Jersey. They are going to lose two left handed defensemen to free agency, and we need to move a LHD to make the cap work. We also have depth on defense with Vaak, Lauzon and Zboril.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
There definitely is a difference, and you can probably add whether you're a fan of other Boston sports teams, or just the Bruins/hockey.

I'm a part of the under 30 group, who was been lucky enough to have enjoyed the Boston sports success of the 21st century and not really remember anything before that.

I probably have more patience, and less of a win now attitude. There's an understanding that you don't want to blow your chances to win a Cup when you're a contender, but I'm also less willing to sacrifice the future for the present, partially because I, hopefully, have many more years of fandom in me, which theoretically means more chances at winning. In that situation, it's hard to see this like it's my last chance to see a Cup victory. I'm not like others who had to wait 86 years for a World Series trophy or almost 40 years for a Stanley Cup, so I don't have that same appreciation. I also don't have the same pessimism. I've also been shaped by the other successful local teams, particularly the Patriots who've had a "Win Always", not "Win Now" approach for 20 years.

Personally, I tend to subscribe to the Billy Beane (Oakland A's GM) theory: "My job is to get us to the playoffs. What happens after that is ******* luck."

I get that. If you're near 30 and a fan of all Boston's teams your life is nothing but championships. - I'm a Vikings fan so my football fandom is built on nothing but heartbreak, disappointment and moved a little lower than pessimism into nihilism awhile back.

A big part of my view is that these sweet spot moments aren't always there. Even if they load up at the TDL this year they will still have a murder's row to go through as Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington are all right there with them. So it's rolling the dice for sure. But you have to pull the trigger. This might be the best team we get to watch for awhile (although I think next year should be as good) and they're one of 5? favourites right now with an aging core. Go for it.

The other part is that players like Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Heinen, McAvoy, Carlo and Grzylck will be better players because of last year's run. That's how you build a perpetual contender. They understand the demands and expectations and either live up to them or don't - but then you can actually judge them.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad