Proposal: All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020 II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Joe Colborne was a future captain
Donato was making Krejci expendable
My favorite, Justin Hickman was going to make trading Lucic easier
Jared Knight, god do we even need to get into it

basically, fade anything the board says :laugh:

I was a big Jared Knight guy.... :(

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
last season i was hoping for Dylan Larkin. I know he's young and now signed for the medium term, but does a big package entice Detroit to part with him?

I DO NOT trust that Bergy and/or DK can hold up through one grueling series let alone a long run. They are getting longer-in-the-tooth and who do we have in the pipeline that can fill those skates really??

If i'm DS, I'm looking at young Centermen who could be #2B center, but switch to wing in the short-term rather than Kreider and/or Palmeri . . .who are shorter-term band-aid solutions.

They would want McAvoy

Reactions: Lo97

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
May be time to blow it up

GM
Coach
Scouts

team a mess

When Bergeron goes we are Detroit

should have drafted Barzal Chabot and Connor 2015.

DeBrincat 2016

Thomas 2017

Kaliyev 2019

Shero and Gallant

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Ya I remember when all these guys were “untouchables” and Jesse Gabrielle was an up and coming 2nd line winger.

Its why I think it’s crazy people have 4+ untouchables in the system. Especially since most of our guys have already graduated to the big club in the past few seasons.

Reactions: Lo97 and sarge88

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

im really into the kids... and i cant remember anything close to those examples

on the other hand I do remember...

Cameron mann is the fastest developing guy in the junior playoffs

kyle wanvig is going to be another cam neely

Shayne Stevenson is a young terry oreilly

so... there is definitely some urge here to hype the kids among 'fans'

I think the difference comes from when a team earns a track record for graduating kids into the pros... demonstrates it knows what its doing.

for some time any prospect in the new jersey, or Colorado, or Detroit system suddenly became solid gold because those teams had the established track record of knowing what they are doing

in the past 20 years guys like Bergeron, marchand, lucic, krejci have tilted the measuring stick. the bruin organization has been second to no one in finding and developing high end nhl professionals in this past generation of active nhl players

some fans might want to cling to a couple examples of busts... and thats easy... all 31 teams have plenty of examples of busts. if a fan wants to cling to busts then no problem

developing kids will always result in more fails than successes. thats simple math. the busts are always easier to get upset about for a fan

results speak for themselves. our franchise is the best of any franchise for finding kids outside the nhl and graduating them into the nhl

Reactions: Strafer

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I'm sorry, but I hate this attitude, mostly because I think it oversimplifies things.

Primarily, I think it overestimates the value of most trade deadline acquisitions. How often are those acquisitions of UFAs-to-be key to winning the Cup? I also think it overestimates the difference between the player you can get for a 1st round pick and one you can get for a 2nd.

There are some rentals who are worth a 1st round pick, but I don't think any of the ones available this year are. If I'm trading a 1st for a rental, I want a true difference-maker. Does that really describe any of the players on the trade block this year? I don't think so.

Players with more years on their contract are a slightly different story, but the Bruins' current cap situation is such that, not only are you trading compensation for the player, but you're likely also preventing yourself from re-signing one or more of your free agents this summer.

I appreciate your argument, but I think there are clear difference makers available. Charlie Coyle and Marcus Johansson were clear difference makers for us last year, and guys like Kreider and Palmieri are better players. I'd also rather give up a 1st than one of our top 3 or 4 prospects.

I think whether or not a deadline acquisition has an impact on a Cup run depends largely on the GM's ability to find the right fit, and that's where I think Sweeney finds himself on the hot seat. IMO, he's done a lot of good things here, much, much more good than bad, but he's had 5 years to fill that hole in the top6. FIVE YEARS. If we were the Sabres you'd be content to just let him draft and develop and maybe one day you have a well rounded top6 but this is a team with a championship core, a hole in the lineup, and the clock is running out. He doesn't have the luxury to play it cool, and I don't think he has the latitude from upstairs to wait til next year.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I don't think Boston could add Saad without moving out a lot of salary - Saad's getting $6.5 million next season with a $6 million cap hit.

Yeah, he'd require retention. If they retain ~22% ($1.35m) then he'd have the same cap hit as Kreider, Palmieri or Toffoli (but the B's may be asking those teams to retain as well, so who knows).

Last edited:

BruinsDude

Jan 18, 2007
Whitman, Ma
I say we get this guy to lace em up
images (5).jpeg

Reactions: Lo97

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

Mark Stuart was captain material.....and we traded down to take him and watched the Devils take Zach Parise
This still bugs me more than the 2015 draft

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Shouldn't fans take an optimistic stance on their own prospects? Can we call them busts when they bust? I mean Zboril may be in that territory and I'm not going to argue that, but couldn't Frederic maybe be a poor man's David Backes? Beecher a poor man's Chris Kreider? Vaak maybe a left handed version of Carlo? Lauzon a Boychuk/Miller type that is very good killing penalties and physical? Lauko another Bjorkstrand? Steen a right handed Axelsson? Maybe Curtis Hall develops into a Josh Anderson type?

Last edited:

Bodit9

Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
What bothers me more is that every year players they hope/expect to "take it to the next level" don't.

If Heinen, Bjork, turned into consistent 20 - 25 goal guys and DeBrusk became a 30 - 35 goal guy, they wouldn't need to move picks/prospects out.

Bjork is having a mini-breakout year right now. His play has been excellent. DeBrusk is on pace for 27 goals. Heinen is Heinen. Every contender has a hole or two they'll want to fill. These guys are right on time.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I appreciate your argument, but I think there are clear difference makers available. Charlie Coyle and Marcus Johansson were clear difference makers for us last year, and guys like Kreider and Palmieri are better players. I'd also rather give up a 1st than one of our top 3 or 4 prospects.

I think whether or not a deadline acquisition has an impact on a Cup run depends largely on the GM's ability to find the right fit, and that's where I think Sweeney finds himself on the hot seat. IMO, he's done a lot of good things here, much, much more good than bad, but he's had 5 years to fill that hole in the top6. FIVE YEARS. If we were the Sabres you'd be content to just let him draft and develop and maybe one day you have a well rounded top6 but this is a team with a championship core, a hole in the lineup, and the clock is running out. He doesn't have the luxury to play it cool, and I don't think he has the latitude from upstairs to wait til next year.

I guess we just have different definitions of difference-makers, or perhaps that's not the right word for what I'm thinking of.

With Kreider, I remember seeing him play for Andover against my high school, and he had this unbelievable play where he skated up the ice on a breakaway, and he scored on a shot from basically the tops of the circles. I think it hit the crossbar too. I'd never seen a highschooler that big skate that fast, and shooting it from where he did, versus taking it to the net was crazy to me. The confidence I'd have to have to do something like that. I'm saying this because I've been following him for a while, and I feel like he's underperformed his talent as a professional. He's more flash than substance to me.

In the end, I'm always going to think about comparative value. I don't ever want to make a deal because I think I need to make a deal. To me, it feels like the best trade deadline deals are never the ones where you pay a 1st round pick. Those are almost always overpays. You're much more likely to get a better deal for a lower cost player, and I'm perfectly happy taking that as an addition at the deadline.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Bjork is having a mini-breakout year right now. His play has been excellent. DeBrusk is on pace for 27 goals. Heinen is Heinen. Every contender has a hole or two they'll want to fill. These guys are right on time.

But this team needs what Bjork projects to be two years down the road right now.

There is the biggest issue, IMO.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I forgot to mention also that Bjork gets no PP time, either.

As for the bolded, I think that the cup window closed last year (and the stars certainly aligned for the team in not having to play Tampa and Washington in the playoffs, which won't happen again, I'd think). Trading for a Kreider, Toffoli, etc. will ultimately be for naught, and Boston should instead begin a minor retool going forward.

You might be right.

I guess that’s where we differ though, as I think that they have a legit shot this year, provided they bring in at least one more top 6 winger.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
It is all relative to me.

If the 1st goes for Kreider who is extended past this season at fair value it must be done.

For a rental? I am not interested.

I respectfully disagree. You've got this year and next as one of the favourites to win. That's what the TDL is for. It doesn't always work out and yes, you sacrifice some of your future, but I have no problem paying a decent price - including a 1st or top prospect or young roster player - to get a player that can impact the game for the remainder of this year and possibly next.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
That empty netter really left an impression on you ha? Hey maybe you’re right but up til now absolutely nothing in his development would lead anyone to believe anything close to that was even remotely possible. I hope your random hunch is correct but if in the future ZS is a fixture on our first line then the organization made a ton of awful decisions and would be in deep deep trouble.

Im no Seny hater but future first line duty talk with him is just preposterous.
How many top line NHL players have had the stats that Seny has with 3 years so AHLaction? How would people feel if we traded for a guy with theses stats?

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
quick question:
I wonder if there's a difference of opinion about what futures you'd sell for a rental based on our ages?
Like if a fan remembers Sinden (whom was one of the all-time great GMs - wanted to make sure I never cut him down) and remembers those years when The Bruins appeared to be just one more impact player away and he'd kinda go a little cheaper and not get them over the top.
Or if you're a bit younger and your experience is more in The Cap era which coincides with tonnes of on-line information, Pens/Hawks build through the draft idea, and this more kind of long view of being a fan. - not sure how to say it properly.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
exactly. people worry too much about the future. Its win now baby.
I agree because our roster is set up to win the next two years. After that who knows. The only certainty is that we have a good shot the next two years. We are good but we need to get better to win the cup. One cup in 48 years isn’t close to enough. Go for it now

Reactions: Strafer and lopey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad