All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Pretty self explanatory as I discussed it right above what you bolded. People have whipping boys and once they do, it biases the way they look at things. If Morrow played exactly the way he did, but was wearing a Bartkowski or Seidenberg jersey, many here would have a different opinion about his play. Because he's a first round pick and hasn't been up in the lineup long enough for everyone to pick up on the warts, people see what they want to see.

Bartkowski and Seids are far more experiences..so of course they're going to draw more criticism thats just common sense

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Damn. Slap myself in the head!!

Let me change it to this:

Buy your 50/50 tickets on line. Close to a 90% chance you won't win $4.8 million per year over the next 4 years

Another riddle... hmmm.

OMG, I get it!

FRANSON HAS A GAMBLING ADDICTION.

Mike Richards, you are not alone.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
His size is below average, his defense it not. His positioning is very good and he's the best puck retriever the B's have, which is part of your defensive acumen, not offense.

It astonishes me that people here were willing to pay Hamiton $7m for good O and shoddy D, but balk at $3.45m for a #5 D that can also QB your PP.

I'd disagree on his positioning. I don't think it's bad, but I don't think it's good. His size has hurt him in the corners (where I would think his positioning would come onto play....)

And yes, puck retrieval I agree he's good on.

He also makes a lot of bad pinches and plays.

Like I said, I just don't see him defensively as anything better than a bottom pairing guy for the reasons I listed.

I'd be happy to be wrong though this season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I forgot to comment on this.

If you truly want to know what management is thinking about assets, signings, trades and such, the last thing anyone should do is read what fans think - because the two rarely ever jive.

How true.

But you can still tell how good a player is by his standing in a fantasy league, right?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I have to start off by saying man, I respect your passion as a fan. Your thoughts are almost always well thought out and explained well.

Sometimes, all of us (not solely directed at you) we should all take a step back and really dissect everything. I know you speak from the heart and that's great, I enjoy that and your posts.

So it is with great respect that I say this:

First off, your opening line above is not how I see it. By the time you add a backup and your 13th forward and 7th d-man, your closer to $3 million then you are $4 million. This is if you are trying to calculate cap space available.

But if you are adding Franson without moving a d-man, you aren't adding a 7th d-man because you've already calculated for 7 d-men on the roster.

I go back to my original post that it's hard to figure out what has to go because we don't know what Franson is asking for. I'm sure management knows what it's going to take and how to get there. We, can only speculate.

What Franson might ask from Boston, will be higher than what he would ask from Toronto. Believe it or not, the cost of living in Boston is much higher than Toronto http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...ronto&country2=United+States&city2=Boston,+MA

Just don't be fooled into thinking that the price for one team is the same as the price for another team.

The other thing I want to touch on briefly is speed because you refer to Sweeney's comments a lot when it comes to speed and the need to get faster.

Skating is part of it, a big part - the biggest. But there are other speeds the team needs to improve on. Puck speed for one. Paul Coffey on his best day couldn't out skate a puck. How quickly they think the game and make their decisions on the ice is also a factor. Skating speed alone doesn't change your transition game. If you can't think quickly enough on your feet, you'll get burned more often then not. The Bruins get burned a lot on the two man forecheck. Being able to move the puck quicker by players with the ability to do so is more successful than players that can skate it out

I like this so much.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
The other thing I want to touch on briefly is speed because you refer to Sweeney's comments a lot when it comes to speed and the need to get faster.

Skating is part of it, a big part - the biggest. But there are other speeds the team needs to improve on. Puck speed for one. Paul Coffey on his best day couldn't out skate a puck. How quickly they think the game and make their decisions on the ice is also a factor. Skating speed alone doesn't change your transition game. If you can't think quickly enough on your feet, you'll get burned more often then not. The Bruins get burned a lot on the two man forecheck. Being able to move the puck quicker by players with the ability to do so is more successful than players that can skate it out.

I also like this.

Need faster skaters, but also faster thinkers.

If you can't react quickly, think fast, you're going to get pinned.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Defense as is stands

1 - Chara - Trotman / Miller, C
2 - Krug - Seidenberg / Franson (if signed I expect 44 moving out)
3 - Irwin / Morrow - McQuaid
x - Miller, K

Irwin will probably get a better look than Morrow to start sign he's on a one way. They seem to like C.Miller, but he can be sent down still. Seidenberg would have to move out if Franson is signed, for $$ and for spots. If not, the Irwin signing probably means Seids is fully on the right side I think. Perhaps it's part of negotiating with Franson... "see, we don't need ya." I see K.Miller as the 7th, and will play once McQuaid gets injured.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
This has been covered a few times. Seidenberg would not have to be moved if Franson is signed for $5m (rough), and if they do move him it just creates another hole in the Top 4.

Irwin just signed for $800k. That's the salary of a depth #6-7 D, not a key guy in your D (at Irwin's age)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This has been covered a few times. Seidenberg would not have to be moved if Franson is signed for $5m (rough), and if they do move him it just creates another hole in the Top 4.

Irwin just signed for $800k. That's the salary of a depth #6-7 D, not a key guy in your D (at Irwin's age)

The room in(Doms') lineup was just few hundred thousand, if Sweeney doesn't need any breathing room then it could probably be done just.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If you get Franson and move seidenberg, what do gain? You still need the top 4 defenseman. You gain nothing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If you get Franson and move seidenberg, what do gain? You still need the top 4 defenseman. You gain nothing.

a younger physical top4D who's in his early prime.

I'd use my energy on finding that top pairing D, Seabrook intrests me now, fives you more time to find that future blue line leader and he'd be Chara2 to our younger D-players, he has won cups so knos what it takes to win and could be a great leader to those prospects.

Also I'd love to see a (Habs) playoff game D-zone start and we put both Chara+Seabrook on the ice :laugh:

If he'd be asking for too many years then I'd say no, 7-8ý.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts

This^

Most fans here are in agreement the Bruins blue line hasn't been the same since Boychuk was moved. Here is Sweeney essentially (rumored) to be acquiring another Boychuk to play in the top-4 and all I keep reading is "If Sweeney signs Franson he needs to move Seidenberg". Whaaaaat?? :huh:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
a younger physical top4D who's in his early prime.

I'd use my energy on finding that top pairing D, Seabrook intrests me now, fives you more time to find that future blue line leader and he'd be Chara2 to our younger D-players, he has won cups so knos what it takes to win and could be a great leader to those prospects.

Also I'd love to see a (Habs) playoff game D-zone start and we put both Chara+Seabrook on the ice :laugh:

If he'd be asking for too many years then I'd say no, 7-8ý.

Hate to burst your bubble BB88 but you should probably cool off on the "Shattenkirk/ Seabrook" dreams. Not likely to happen. Shattenkirk is on a great contract for 2 more years. Seabrook is solid and Chicago will try to move Bickell or Sharp or Hossa before they even consider moving Seabrook (IMO).

I'm thinking more along the lines of Franson Bouwmeester Campbell Phaneuf type moves (if any are made)

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I also like this.

Need faster skaters, but also faster thinkers.

If you can't react quickly, think fast, you're going to get pinned.

Yup. Case in point: Matt Bartkowski. Fast skater, slow thinker. Slow decision maker, doesn't get the job done defensively or offensively.

Zac Rinaldo*

This^

Most fans here are in agreement the Bruins blue line hasn't been the same since Boychuk was moved. Here is Sweeney essentially (rumored) to be acquiring another Boychuk to play in the top-4 and all I keep reading is "If Sweeney signs Franson he needs to move Seidenberg". Whaaaaat?? :huh:

it doesn't make sense money-wise, it isn't an issue of moving from a place of abundance, but rather a place of redundant personnel (in their eyes, presumably) as a lot of people feel that, based on seids' performance last year, he is internally replaceable by multiple guys back there.

also, franson is a very different player from boychuk, and the comparison makes me wonder whether or not many here have seen him play fwiw.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hate to burst your bubble BB88 but you should probably cool off on the "Shattenkirk/ Seabrook" dreams. Not likely to happen. Shattenkirk is on a great contract for 2 more years. Seabrook is solid and Chicago will try to move Bickell or Sharp or Hossa before they even consider moving Seabrook (IMO).

I'm thinking more along the lines of Franson Bouwmeester Campbell Phaneuf type moves (if any are made)

1 can dream :laugh:
but if you check Hawks situation they basically have to give up Seabrook.
Sharp+Bickell won't be enough to keep Seabrook on their team and noone is taking Bickell's contact, atleast the rumours are saying so.

Like Dom said the Hawks truly want to bring Oduya back, then they truly want to bring in Kruger back, just trading Sharp won't be enough, they are over the cap with 4D's against the cap. Oduya+Kruger will be around 5M together atleast.

Then you look at their next year, Seabrook-Shaw-(Versteeg) has to get re-signed and Anisimovs' new contract kicks in.
I highly highly doubt that they would move Hossa before Seabrook, they have ton of strong right handed D prospects already ready to step up and Hossa plays too well with Toews, they shutdown everything. Hossa will also be 2M cheaper for Hawks than re-signed Seabrook.

Then the year after they have 3 huge ELC re-signings in TT-Dano and Panarin.

If you look at what's best for them then you see that Seabrook would need to be traded, they trade Seabrook now and with that cap hit they can re-sign both Kruger and Oduya and add Ehrhoff who wants to join with 1y deal to try and win the cup with the Hawks.

1 of the strongest 4th lines in the league+
Keith-Pokka
Oduya-Hjalmarsson
Ehrhoff-TVR
Rundlbad
made happen by Seabrook trade, if not then they risk of having 3 rookies in their D group.

edit: let's see how this Sharp trade changed things.

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Because, mostly, Julien is extreme is setting up R/L for his defensemen. I don't recall any other defensemen that he tried out on his off-side besides Seidenberg.

Krug has played his off side and has expressed that he's actually quite comfortable with it. Honestly if love to see Julien at least attempt to pair him with Z for a bit. I think he needs to be given the opportunity to prove he can play a top 4 role.

Personally I'd look at something like:

Chara/Krug
Seids/ Miller(s) or Trotman
Irwin/Quaider

Certainly not without warts but think it's the best available balance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad