Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I'd go Kubalik + 2nd + Berggren + 1st + Veleno + Reimer + conditional 2026 7th*

*if Debrincat scores 40 goals, Ottawa receives the 7th

Let's get it done, boys!

Adding more shit doesn't help it.

Honestly,Kubalik, Berggren, and Boston 1st almost certainly carries more value that all that.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Larkin plus Kubalik plus Berggren scored more goals than McDavid.. I make that deal everyday of the week

That's also trading 1 great player and 2 good players for 1 legendary player.

Trading Berggren + Kubalik for DeBrincat is 2 good players, one of whom may even turn into a very good player, for 1 very good player.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Kubalik + Berggren = likely 40 goals this year.
DeBrincat alone = 30-40 goals in Detroit.

I don't know if that's the fix we're looking for.
And what does the guy who replaces Kubalik or Berggren in the lineup score? If it's anything more than 5 goals, we're to the good.

Trading Berggren + Kubalik for DeBrincat is 2 good players, one of whom may even turn into a very good player, for 1 very good player.

A fifty-cent piece is more valuable for you in the NHL than two quarters. Because you play another guy in the spot of one of them.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
And what does the guy who replaces Kubalik or Berggren in the lineup score? If it's anything more than 5 goals, we're to the good.

I guess that depends on who is replacing one of them.

In a perfect world I would only subtract 1 roster player to add DeBrincat, not 2. And I'd prefer it be one of the bottom 3 forwards, not guys that have top 6 value.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I guess that depends on who is replacing one of them.

In a perfect world I would only subtract 1 roster player to add DeBrincat, not 2. And I'd prefer it be one of the bottom 3 forwards, not guys that have top 6 value.
Perfect world it's Fabbri. The illusion of a middle 6 winger that is all too often a mirage.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020

A fifty-cent piece is more valuable for you in the NHL than two quarters. Because you play another guy in the spot of one of them.

I understand what you're getting at. If those are the two players going to Ottawa then I don't even bother throwing a 1st, and I hesitate to even add a 2nd. I would rather use those chips to replace Kubalik and/or Berggren.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
It'd probably be Luff. 5 might be a stretch.

So sign literally anyone else. Bring back f***in Chiasson. The point is... a lot would have to go right for Berggren and Kubalik to be worth long term to Detroit what Debrincat would be. Because if Kubalik keeps scoring 20, he gets expensive. If Berggren scores 20+, he gets expensive.

You're always better off with one very good player instead of two good players.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I get that I'm seen as some batshit lunatic, but if you were to give Kubalik the exact role that everyone is expecting DeBrincat to get here. IE 14 minutes ES stapled to Larkin and 3-4 of PP1 with no BS of getting yanked up and down the lineup or hell out of the lineup. Treat him as if he were a $8M scoring winger rather than a $2.5M depth signing he gets 30+40 easy.
No chance. He simply isn't on the same level for talent.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
So sign literally anyone else. Bring back f***in Chiasson. The point is... a lot would have to go right for Berggren and Kubalik to be worth long term to Detroit what Debrincat would be. Because if Kubalik keeps scoring 20, he gets expensive. If Berggren scores 20+, he gets expensive.

You're always better off with one very good player instead of two good players.

It's a little more nuanced than that.

2022-23 Seattle Kraken Roster, Stats, Injuries, Scores, Results, Shootouts | Hockey-Reference.com
2022-23 Vegas Golden Knights Roster, Stats, Injuries, Scores, Results, Shootouts | Hockey-Reference.com
2022-23 Ottawa Senators Roster, Stats, Injuries, Scores, Results, Shootouts | Hockey-Reference.com

For the record, I'm on the trade for DeBrincat train. But not if the overall impact to the team is 5% better in aggregate over trading 2 players PLUS assets.

No chance. He simply isn't on the same level for talent.

Before Fester made him the whipping boy and shuttled him between the 3rd and 4th lines Kubalik was looking like the second coming of Martin Havlat.

I think if given regular ice, 17+ minutes a game instead of the 14:55 he got over last season, he could be a 30-30-60 guy.

Reactions: norrisnick

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I’m perfectly fine with some combination of the following being involved in the trade;
Kubalik/Fabbri/ Soderblom/ALJO/2nd round

I get very uncomfortable when Berggren, Mazur and 1st round picks enter the conversation. I wouldn’t go down that road.

Last edited:

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
I get that I'm seen as some batshit lunatic, but if you were to give Kubalik the exact role that everyone is expecting DeBrincat to get here. IE 14 minutes ES stapled to Larkin and 3-4 of PP1 with no BS of getting yanked up and down the lineup or hell out of the lineup. Treat him as if he were a $8M scoring winger rather than a $2.5M depth signing he gets 30+40 easy.
For good reason. There is no logic to this. Points do not go up in a linear manner. Kubalik gets his goals because he's a talented shooter and he plays weak competition and gets PP time too.

He's a 2.5M depth signing for a reason. If this would work... Chicago would not have non-tendered him.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
For good reason. There is no logic to this. Points do not go up in a linear manner. Kubalik gets his goals because he's a talented shooter and he plays weak competition and gets PP time too.

He's a 2.5M depth signing for a reason. If this would work... Chicago would not have non-tendered him.
Chicago was actively trying to be bad.

Kubalik can score. When put in positions to score, he scores. He has no bigger warts than a lot of other scorers in the league.

His rookie year he outscored the mighty DeBrincat on the same team. Regular season and playoffs.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Kubalik + Berggren = likely 40 goals this year.
DeBrincat alone = 30-40 goals in Detroit.

I don't know if that's the fix we're looking for.
but why pay 2 players that have the "possibility" of comfortably scoring 30-35+ goals a year when you can get that in one player, then make room in the top 6 (by getting rid of kubalik and berggren) to add more scoring depth?

As a disclaimer, I think sending berggren and kubalik + multiple picks is ridiculous in this trade scenario because of all the factors involved, but it would be a joke to say that kubalik + Berggren >= Debrincat. Take cap out of it as yes it is a concern, but at the same time after this coming year, is it? Especially since you got to take out berggren+kubalik (again not advocating for this) who would both get raises close to 7-8 mil in combined aav.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
I’m perfectly fine with some combination of the following being involved in the trade;
Kubalik/Fabbri/ Soderblom/ALJO/2nd round

I get very uncomfortable when Berggren, Mazur and 1st round picks enter the conversation. I wouldn’t go down that road.

AlJo and Soderblom would definitely come back to bite us in the ass if traded to Ottawa.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

key phrase there...

he has the ability to do so, but can he actually do it? Don't get me wrong, I like berggren a lot and if kubalik was utilized correctly like he was at worlds, we could be a serious problem for the opposition, but neither are the case.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Feb 29, 2020
key phrase there...

he has the ability to do so, but can he actually do it? Don't get me wrong, I like berggren a lot and if kubalik was utilized correctly like he was at worlds, we could be a serious problem for the opposition, but neither are the case.

We could also ask ourselves, will DeBrincat be utilized correctly? The guy isn't exactly a defensive stalwart.

Reactions: norrisnick

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
I will say that when I first watched this:

My initial two reactions were, one, I've seen Kubalik score a lot of those same goals, and two, the vast majority of Debrincat's goals are him finishing off good plays by other players.

Not that that second point is not an important skill, but it's not like DBC is creating/driving the play that results in a goal.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
We could also ask ourselves, will DeBrincat be utilized correctly? The guy isn't exactly a defensive stalwart.
right now, we have A LOT of two-way minded players (larkin, raymond?, compher, copp, rasmussen, fabbri, berggren, etc.) but we have zero players that can grip it and rip it into the top corners and fully finish as much as debrincat can.

I have said it multiple times and I'm not ashamed of it: if added a goal scorer right now with 40% defensive ability but is all gas on goal scoring, sign me up, because we have plenty of players that can cover for the goal scorer.

Reactions: Electric Eric

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
People keep saying DeBrincat is better than Berggren, so that would be a good trade.
But that is too simplistic of an analysis.
It doesn’t factor Salary cap $$ = opportunity.

The question you should be asking, is DeBrincat better than Berggren and Tarasenko? Because that combined cap hit, would equal DeBrincat’s hit.

Exhibit A; Ottawa has no chance of signing Tank with DeBrincat still on the team. If they trade for Berggren. It will allow them to sign Tank, when it would be otherwise impossible to do so.

If we trade Berggren and a 1st or something…. Ottawa could end up getting all of Tarasenko, Berggren and a 1st round pick by trading DeBrincat.
They would mop the floor… when they were supposed to be behind the 8 ball!

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
People keep saying DeBrincat is better than Berggren, so that would be a good trade.

The question you should be asking, is DeBrincat better than Berggren and Tarasenko? Because that combined cap hit, would equal DeBrincat’s hit.

Exhibit A; Ottawa has no chance of signing Tank with DeBrincat still on the team. If they trade for Berggren. It will allow them to sign Tank, when it would be otherwise impossible to do so.

If we trade Berggren and a 1st or something…. Ottawa could end up getting all of Tarasenko, Berggren and a 1st round pick by trading DeBrincat.
I honestly would say yes, he is better than both because we can get another berggren. I think debrincat is better than tarasenko at this point in their careers and health concerns favors debrincat.

Berggren's are a dime a dozen (at his current level of play). We can get another one of him or we already have him in our system (doucet? Hanas? etc)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

Coulfnt you use that math formula for every single move made across the league?

Reactions: SoupNazi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad