Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And herein lies the misconception.

He DIDN'T have better players around him last year. Norris was supposed to be his 2C, but was hurt all year. He got second line minutes with a rookie center and a middle six winger and still put up 66 points.

Put him with Larkin and Raymond, give him first line minutes, and you're getting 30-35 goals and 70-75 points without breaking a sweat. Maybe more if they really click.

Again, he's not perfect. I'd sooner take any of Connor/Nylander/Keller/Lindholm. But nobody has linked any of those guys to Detroit, and if there's nobody else interested, I'm not waiting around for if/when another first line scorer who wants to be a Red Wing magically appears.
The only concern I would have, for anyone who acquires Cat, is yes, he was paired with a rookie for a lot of 5 on 5. Hell, almost all year. But, he was set up a tonne. The shots were there, but his shooting was terrible. Pinto set him up quite a bit, and Cat couldn’t finish. Nevermind the fact that he was on a hot PP, with Stutzle and Giroux.

Yes, he was affected by not having Norris, absolutely.

But if you are playing 8+ for a player, should that player be a line driver, and not a complimentary player? That is my biggest issue , and why as a Sens fan I was not on board with signing him long term, unless he was in the 7s…

Reactions: BinCookin

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I really hope we keep Kubs if this happens. Dude is a solid 20-20 guy.

I don’t think Veleno gets traded. I hope we get rid of Fabbri in this deal. His injuries hinder the team.

I do think Berggren gets put into the deal, which I’m not mad at.

Either way please Stevie get this done…

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The only concern I would have, for anyone who acquires Cat, is yes, he was paired with a rookie for a lot of 5 on 5. Hell, almost all year. But, he was set up a tonne. The shots were there, but his shooting was terrible. Pinto set him up quite a bit, and Cat couldn’t finish. Nevermind the fact that he was on a hot PP, with Stutzle and Giroux.

But if you are playing 8+ for a player, should that player be a line driver, and not a complimentary player? That is my biggest issue , and why as a Sens fan I was not on board with signing him long term, unless he was in the 7s…
All fair points. I'm towards the more aggressive end of the spectrum for Detroit, as I think their rebuild rises or falls on picks already made, rather than any future drafts, so I think now is the time to start bolstering the current product and stop being quite as conservative or too patient waiting for the ideal scorer to come along.

Reactions: The Zermanator
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
TF does this mean and should we be listening to someone with a kool aid man avatar with 400 followers?
He works for TSN 1200, the local Ottawa sports station. He must have received some sort of info to put out a statement like that.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
He played with Batherson last year, I believe.
lol he played with batherson and pinto. People getting all unhappy and upset that a guy didn't hit his 30 goals playing with 3rd liners that had to be moved up to the 2nd line.

He also had most points on the team for the powerplay. Now, Ottawa doesn't have that with them anymore so they need someone to step up (tarasenko?).

Red wings getting a 30 point powerplay guy on top of the usual total 30+ goals would just be disastrously terrible for us...

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
I really hope we keep Kubs if this happens. Dude is a solid 20-20 guy.

I don’t think Veleno gets traded. I hope we get rid of Fabbri in this deal. His injuries hinder the team.

I do think Berggren gets put into the deal, which I’m not mad at.

Either way please Stevie get this done…
I doubt Fabbri would get picked up on waivers with his contract. Some guys have less than zero trade value.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
All fair points. I'm towards the more aggressive end of the spectrum for Detroit, as I think their rebuild rises or falls on picks already made, rather than any future drafts, so I think now is the time to start bolstering the current product and stop being quite as conservative or too patient waiting for the ideal scorer to come along.
Agree completely. We have several top 10 picks on the team or close to it now. We know what level of player that can get you. Rasmussen, Seider, Raymond, Edvinsson, Kasper, Danielson. Cossa and ASP as well if we expand to top 15ish.

If people are wanting to hold out to get a lottery pick to get that sure thing star scorer, that pretty much means that the crop mentioned above needs to fail enough to do that. Which would mean most of the last 5+ years of true rebuilding have been all for nought.

We have what we have, and it’s really quite decent when you factor everyone in. Yeah we don’t have that lottery player but if you’re putting all your hopes in that basket it could be quite the wait. May as well go for it with what we have and hope for the best. Now is the time to acquire the Debrincats as they become available to shore up areas of weakness. If it doesn’t end up working out then you go back to the drawing board. Not like Debrincat is going to be valueless in 3-5 years if things go that way. At that point you trade Debrincat, Larkin, and whoever else has value and start a new rebuild.

Waiting for all the right pieces to just fall into place naturally before truly going for it is a recipe for a very long wait.

Reactions: jkutswings

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
And herein lies the misconception.

He DIDN'T have better players around him last year. Norris was supposed to be his 2C, but was hurt all year. He got second line minutes with a rookie center and a middle six winger and still put up 66 points.

Put him with Larkin and Raymond, give him first line minutes, and you're getting 30-35 goals and 70-75 points without breaking a sweat. Maybe more if they really click.

Again, he's not perfect. I'd sooner take any of Connor/Nylander/Keller/Lindholm. But nobody has linked any of those guys to Detroit, and if there's nobody else interested, I'm not waiting around for if/when another first line scorer who wants to be a Red Wing magically appears.
Not sure I would take Nylander for the reason we are trying to acquire debrincat for though. debrincat is more of a shooter and goal scorer than nylander. Nylander was able to play with a version of mathews/tavares/marner. They didn't care about defense all too much in TOR so it was all gas no breaks.

He is a "a towering behemoth" compared to debrincat, but I don't think as a team, we would be happier with nylander over debrincat. I also question nylander's backchecking and toughness moreso than debrincat. I can't get that clip out of my head where he essentially wins the foot battle to get the puck in the corner but lets up and the opponent just skates right by him and takes control of the puck.

"some things you can't unsee bro" - around 2:20 into the video but the whole clip is phenomenal

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I should have added that , clearly , he played distracted as with a new child, new city and all that goes along with it. No Chipotle. If he were playing this year, even with Pinto, he would easily hit 30 , and with Norris 40. Historically bad SH% for him to take into account.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I'm actually okay with the notion that Cat doesn't need to be a line driver at 8+. If I am paying a premium, I want one of two things, either you need to drive the play for your line, or you need to be an elite finisher. Cat would fall into the latter. I'm certainly hopeful that he comes in 8-8.5 and not closer to 9, but knowing the plans to increase the cap, 8-8.5 feels adequate for a hired gun.

If he was a play driver in addition to his goal scoring ability, he's commanding a bit more.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
lol he played with batherson and pinto. People getting all unhappy and upset that a guy didn't hit his 30 goals playing with 3rd liners that had to be moved up to the 2nd line.

He also had most points on the team for the powerplay. Now, Ottawa doesn't have that with them anymore so they need someone to step up (tarasenko?).

Red wings getting a 30 point powerplay guy on top of the usual total 30+ goals would just be disastrously terrible for us...
Batherson was an All-Star the year before then had a serious high ankle sprain that took the better part of the year to recover. Don't know many teams with a 62 point 3rd liner! Batherson was quite terrible overall compared to how he usually plays so certainly that would have affected Cat's numbers.

I think he would be agreat fit in Detroit with Larkin, but he does play LW, insists on it, even though he is R shot

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Neither bolded player outproduced him.. they would have to get more goals AND more points, not less to out produce someone
I lined this out to him in a fairly, heavily sarcastic tone yet the info was correct and he just glazed over it and didn't care. I wouldn't waste your time on this one lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad