Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
And herein lies the misconception.

He DIDN'T have better players around him last year. Norris was supposed to be his 2C, but was hurt all year. He got second line minutes with a rookie center and a middle six winger and still put up 66 points.

Put him with Larkin and Raymond, give him first line minutes, and you're getting 30-35 goals and 70-75 points without breaking a sweat. Maybe more if they really click.

Again, he's not perfect. I'd sooner take any of Connor/Nylander/Keller/Lindholm. But nobody has linked any of those guys to Detroit, and if there's nobody else interested, I'm not waiting around for if/when another first line scorer who wants to be a Red Wing magically appears.
75 points without breaking a sweat? Larkin barely did that last year and he broke many sweats. It’s not that easy, especially if other teams don’t have to worry about matchups since Detroit only has one line that can score.

Reactions: rangersblues

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Pessimists: "OMG Yzerman, why aren't you acquiring any high-end talent?! We have no scorers!"

*Rumors persist that Yzerman is attempting to acquire high-end talent*

Pessimists: "OMG, not that kind of high-end talent! I want the high-end talent that's unavailable!"

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The chances, Debrincat, a proven 40g guy under produces on the DRW and thus not worth his contract are significantly less then any 1 or 2 prospects/players ( berggren, Kubalik, fabbri, a late 1st, etc) attached to the current DRW out produce Debrincat and thus become a contractual bargain.
And yet, last year they did.

The fear of being proven correct, greatly outweighs the hope to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
I mean to be fair, he is very likely better than Kubalik. But Let me ask you this.

Do you think it would be a good idea to wait till the end of the season to sign him to an extension?

I think if we waited till the end of the season, Stevie would offer him 5yrs for 42.75 or whatever... and with the rising cap, there would be another team out there that would offer him 7x for 63M and he would bounce out and whatever we paid for the trade would be for a one-year rental.

Edit: Not saying that's what would happen, just that's the downside of trading with no agreed upon extension. It opens it up to a bidding war, with more teams with cap space, and Cat as an UFA

Reactions: jkutswings

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Pessimists: "OMG Yzerman, why aren't you acquiring any high-end talent?! We have no scorers!"

*Rumors persist that Yzerman is attempting to acquire high-end talent*

Pessimists: "OMG, not that kind of high-end talent! I want the high-end talent that's unavailable!"
To be fair.. the people questioning trading for Debrincat are NOT the same posters complaining about our lack of high-end talent. We are on board on more patience for our young kids.

The people saying we are not acquiring high end talent ARE the posters FOR this trade.

So your quotes do not line up with any poster here.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
75 points without breaking a sweat? Larkin barely did that last year and he broke many sweats. It’s not that easy, especially if other teams don’t have to worry about matchups since Detroit only has one line that can score.
I tell you what.

IF Detroit trades for Debrincat, and IF he's given first line minutes with Larkin and Raymond, and IF said players stay reasonably healthy, and IF Debrincat does not score at least 75 points...

...I will post on this forum, hat in hand, that I was wrong about the whole thing. That it was a travesty and a sham and a mockery to acquire him. I will be assessed a ten minute misconduct for Delay of Franchise. We can make a public spectacle of it, and you and norrisnick can throw the first rotten vegetables at my shame-laden countenance.

But I don't think that will be the case. I think he will light it up with those linemates, and it'll help make these bridge years a lot more fun to watch while we're wait for the rest of the kids. :naughty:

Reactions: Oddbob and SoupNazi

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I tell you what.

IF Detroit trades for Debrincat, and IF he's given first line minutes with Larkin and Raymond, and IF said players stay reasonably healthy, and IF Debrincat does not score at least 75 points...

...I will post on this forum, hat in hand, that I was wrong about the whole thing. That it was a travesty and a sham and a mockery to acquire him. I will be assessed a ten minute misconduct for Delay of Franchise. We can make a public spectacle of it, and you and norrisnick can throw the first rotten vegetables at my shame-laden countenance.

But I don't think that will be the case. I think he will light it up with those linemates, and it'll help make these bridge years a lot more fun to watch while we're wait for the rest of the kids. :naughty:
Remember when Chiarot was stapled to Seider for 34 games? This is a be careful what you wish for situation. $8.5M DeBrincat will be asked to carry a line with Copp and Kostin and be the cornerstone of PP2 run by Veleno or some shit.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I tell you what.

Alex, is that you?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
I'm for this. Expecting the acquisition cost isn't going to be that great. Have to guess we would be one of the last teams Ottawa would want to trade him to, suggesting a complete lack of other options.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
But combined they did. At less than $3.5M total.

That's kind of an unfair argument. You are also technically gaining icetime/opportunity in another lineup spot by consolidating their production at a premium into a single player.

Although, to your point, I think there is inherently less risk by spreading production across multiple players (less susceptible to losing all production through slump or injury, etc., allowing for more diversity and matchup, etc.).

Reactions: Ricelund

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
What do we think the current offer for Debrincat is (The Trade Part)?

What players do you think we are willing to move to make it work with Ottawa.

I imagine a 1st round pick is the minimum requirement.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021

What players do you think we willing to move to make it work with Ottawa.

Berggren and a protected first or a second is my guess.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Honestly don't think it will be that much. I'll say a 2024 2nd and 2025 3rd

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Sens fan here...

Is Berggren & later 2024 1rst realistic?

Otherwise I could see Ottawa interested in something like Kubalik, Berggren and a later pick.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

What players do you think we are willing to move to make it work with Ottawa.

I don't feel like a 1st will be part of the package. Trades where the player dictates where he lands always underwhelm, I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad