Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Raty + Hronek for Horvat makes a hell of a lot more sense than 1st and 2nd for DBC. Horvat makes this team a borderline playoff team, DBC not so much.

I was just using that as an example of missed opportunities. I'm using the ones I called like Graves because then it doesn't sound like total hindsight BS. Not to mention we could have avoided Copp AND Chiarot which ARE mistakes.

There are obviously way more missed opportunities. But hindsight drafting and trading would be pointless because it's too easy. Just saying Stevie hasn't been active enough or creative enough. Plus Draper's second round drafting is suspect at best.
Hindsight your way around the logistical pretzel you've got going and explain how a mid-season trade would prevent a free-agent signing from the previous off-season.

Somehow you've conflated a hypothetical Horvat trade into not needing to sign Copp. Hindsight is one thing, but so is the constant forward progress of time...

Reactions: swisswings

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
Play drivers don't ever do it alone though. They always have a running mate.

DeBrincat next to Larkin will help in driving the play. Will he score 30 goals or 40 goals? I don't know, man. But he'll end up top 2 or top 3 in the team in scoring.
When playing with DeBrincat, Larkin is the play driver. We need players like Larkin and then like DeBrincat. Latter guys are easier to find. That's why there are no Kaprizovs, Barzals, and Stuzles in the market. Only DeBrincats.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Hindsight your way around the logistical pretzel you've got going and explain how a mid-season trade would prevent a free-agent signing from the previous off-season.

Somehow you've conflated a hypothetical Horvat trade into not needing to sign Copp. Hindsight is one thing, but so is the constant forward progress of time...
Horvat was rumored to be on the market the previous season dude. The asking price was rumored to be a center and RHD, either roster or prospect.

So no. It's not hindsight. Here's a pre-season preview. So yeah, Copp could have been avoided.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Horvat was rumored to be on the market the previous season dude. The asking price was rumored to be a center and RHD, either roster or prospect.

So no. It's not hindsight. Here's a pre-season preview. So yeah, Copp could have been avoided.

That "rumor" is still predicated on the Miller signing which happened in September '22 compared to the Copp signing in July of '22.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Ahh.... the excuses start pouring in as expected.

Stevie hasn't made any huge mistakes, but there have definitely been some missed opportunities.

Remember I wanted Raty and Graves? Raty and Hrnoek could have been traded for Horvat, Graves would mean Chiarot wouldn't have been signed. That's not hindsight, BS either. This team looks a lot better with Horvat and Graves, borderline playoff team for sure. No Chiarot or Copp, and this team still has a boatload of cap space.

Zadina could have been traded while he still had some marginal value, instead he got signed to a sweetheart deal for some stupid reason. Stevie traded Connolly for 2 second rounders, not sure why he didn't do the same. Connolly was a better player with more upside (as he showed in DC for one season, but only one, lol).

Also, here's the hindsight call...
I like Walman, so Stevie could have traded for Leddy AND Graves. Kicked DDK to the curb.

Not to mention most of Stevie's trade fleecing really didn't work out. Vrana and Ned are gone, Fabbri is often injured, Husso looks pretty pedestrian (though still a good deal considering he was acquired for peanuts).

There are more hindsight deals he could have made, but he didn't even take the obvious ones that weren't even big gambles like DeBrincat would be. I think DBC is a gamble, and Stevie rightfully shouldn't do it. But enough with the excuses, he needs to do more than draft well with his first pick (credit where credit is due) and sign mediocre players in UFA.

It's not excuses at all. He had Larkin when he arrived and that is it. Pretty much every GM that takes over a rebuild has more than that to operate as a nice piece going forward. Graves is nothing special and you have no idea how he would look on this team. Horvat hasn't exactly look great in NY thus far, so you can't say that is a good long term piece for us either. Zadina can still be traded for something decent. What is so great about Raty? He has all of 3 pts in 15 NHL games, which is roughly what Zadina had in his first 15.

You bring up Chiarot as bad and Copp as bad. Copp has brought the production you get for 5 mil nowadays and literally every single GM in the game makes bad signings like Chiarot with 0 Exceptions. He traded an undesirable Mantha for Vrana and both teams lost really on that deal, so no loss. Fabbri is still much better than de la Rose who he was traded for.

The changes you made don't make us really any better than we are right now.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That "rumor" is still predicated on the Miller signing which happened in September '22 compared to the Copp signing in July of '22.
Agree it hinged on Miller signing first, but why are you acting as if Copp NEEDED to be signed? He wasn't a core player, much less a Wing last season. It's debatable if he's needed even now, we're all hoping Kasper displaces him to 3C or wing.

The changes you made don't make us really any better than we are right now.
If you don't think Horvat and Graves are better than Copp and Chiarot, then I've lost all respect for your hockey knowledge.

Reactions: The Flying Octopus

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Agree it hinged on Miller signing first, but why are you acting as if Copp NEEDED to be signed? He wasn't a core player, much less a Wing last season. It's debatable if he's needed even now, we're all hoping Kasper displaces him to 3C or wing.
Because we needed to not have Suter as the 2C and we needed to reach the floor.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I get the sense more and more that Yzerman is running the team the best he can as per Illitch's instructions, and it looks a lot like how the Tigers are run.

Keep it cheap, no big UFAs, no expensive trades, pick through other teams' garbage cans and hope we hit on something. Move players for picks before UFA. Sign one fan favorite to a big contract to sell tickets.

I think as the cap continues to rise you are going to see the Wings fall farther and farther down the list of spenders. We've left cap on the table almost every year since the last lockout and have barely weaponized cap space to acquire picks.

If we manage to draft into a semi-decent team we might see some decent signings to try and win.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Because we needed to not have Suter as the 2C and we needed to reach the floor.
Reaching the floor is stupid easy. Just take a one season cap dump. Arizona does it every season.

.... and now we need to not have Copp as 2C, lol. I think he'll be a really good 3C, but he's not a player that's absolutely necessary.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
I get the sense more and more that Yzerman is running the team the best he can as per Illitch's instructions, and it looks a lot like how the Tigers are run.

Keep it cheap, no big UFAs, no expensive trades, pick through other teams' garbage cans and hope we hit on something. Move players for picks before UFA. Sign one fan favorite to a big contract to sell tickets.

I think as the cap continues to rise you are going to see the Wings fall farther and farther down the list of spenders. We've left cap on the table almost every year since the last lockout and have barely weaponized cap space to acquire picks.

If we manage to draft into a semi-decent team we might see some decent signings to try and win.
Don’t buy this one bit. Yzerman wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t allowed to call the shots and spend to the cap.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Dude give it a rest. Chris spends more on the Tigers than the NHL cap right now, and the Wings are a profitable team whereas the Tigers are not.

If Chris was holding the purse strings then the Staal trade wouldn't have happened. Cap dump for picks.

I think Stevie is looking for his type of players, and DBC doesn't fit the mold. As much as I want Stevie to do more, I can understand not trading for DBC or PLD. We don't want him acting like it's last call on a Friday night, lol.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan

Wut? We were one of the most active buyers during UFA last year which I actually think was the wrong move. One thing we can’t chirp Steve for is not being active enough.

If anything, we should be selling off as much as we can and collecting more draft picks. We have barely a handful of players worth keeping and less so that are untouchable.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like they're probably keeping him till the deadline at this point if they aren't close to a deal

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

If you don't think Horvat and Graves are better than Copp and Chiarot, then I've lost all respect for your hockey knowledge.

Didn't say they weren't better. I am saying that with those 2 signed instead I don't think we are that far ahead as a team, especially in Graves case who was a healthy scratch in the playoffs at times in NJD as far as I remember. Horvat also stops us from maybe adding a better offensive player.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Didn't say they weren't better. I am saying that with those 2 signed instead I don't think we are that far ahead as a team, especially in Graves case who was a healthy scratch in the playoffs at times in NJD as far as I remember. Horvat also stops us from maybe adding a better offensive player.
Horvat is playing to the system in NYI, but even then he had a 70 pt season. That's not gonna come any cheaper considering what PLD got.

Graves was injured, missed the last 2 games. I'd rather not watch Chiarot at all. Plus he made Seider worse. Graves played with Makar, he knows who should be moving the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad