Rumor: All about Alex DeBrincat -possible trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Steve has been here 4 years and inherited almost nothing aside from Larkin. He also inherited a boatload of bad deals to wait out.
Ahh.... the excuses start pouring in as expected.

Stevie hasn't made any huge mistakes, but there have definitely been some missed opportunities.

Remember I wanted Raty and Graves? Raty and Hrnoek could have been traded for Horvat, Graves would mean Chiarot wouldn't have been signed. That's not hindsight, BS either. This team looks a lot better with Horvat and Graves, borderline playoff team for sure. No Chiarot or Copp, and this team still has a boatload of cap space.

Zadina could have been traded while he still had some marginal value, instead he got signed to a sweetheart deal for some stupid reason. Stevie traded Connolly for 2 second rounders, not sure why he didn't do the same. Connolly was a better player with more upside (as he showed in DC for one season, but only one, lol).

Also, here's the hindsight call...
I like Walman, so Stevie could have traded for Leddy AND Graves. Kicked DDK to the curb.

Not to mention most of Stevie's trade fleecing really didn't work out. Vrana and Ned are gone, Fabbri is often injured, Husso looks pretty pedestrian (though still a good deal considering he was acquired for peanuts).

There are more hindsight deals he could have made, but he didn't even take the obvious ones that weren't even big gambles like DeBrincat would be. I think DBC is a gamble, and Stevie rightfully shouldn't do it. But enough with the excuses, he needs to do more than draft well with his first pick (credit where credit is due) and sign mediocre players in UFA.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I mean, I feel like Larkin is ancient but he's still 26.
I think in general Wings fans got used to our rookies being 24/25 years old and closer to a finished product that we forget that these guys are teens entering the league. Larkin as an example also had a pretty lousy 2nd year and has very much developed into a 1st line/ 30 goal guy.

People need to give Ray a break. If we see no improvement this year then there is some cause of concern. But most smaller players have a meh 2nd season as teams start to key on them and they have to adjust. Ray is a smart player and had an entire off season to hopefully working on gaining a little bit on that first step to get some more seperation.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
That analogy is nonsense. I've rebuilt a classic car and I bought what I could when I could as it became available, for in the end I was attempting to rebuild an entire car. I didnt just buy the seats and announce Mission Accomplished I kept working.
We aren't rebuilding a classic car. A classic car doesn't need to continue to run while it's being rebuilt.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I think in general Wings fans got used to our rookies being 24/25 years old and closer to a finished product that we forget that these guys are teens entering the league. Larkin as an example also had a pretty lousy 2nd year and has very much developed into a 1st line/ 30 goal guy.

People need to give Ray a break. If we see no improvement this year then there is some cause of concern. But most smaller players have a meh 2nd season as teams start to key on them and they have to adjust. Ray is a smart player and had an entire off season to hopefully working on gaining a little bit on that first step to get some more seperation.
hand up, i was critical of raymond. again, when I noticed he was only 21 i was like nah wait til 24 or something lol.

I could have sworn I saw he was 23 turning 24 or something, but he has only been here 2 seasons lmao

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
With this being said....

very sad we couldn't have that opportunity. BRIGHT SIDE is debrincat should not be commanding more than 8.8 and no less than whatever bratt got.

so there is the range we are working with if traded.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
With this being said....

very sad we couldn't have that opportunity. BRIGHT SIDE is debrincat should not be commanding more than 8.8 and no less than whatever bratt got.

so there is the range we are working with if traded.

Can easily be argued that DeBrincat is better than Meier. More 40 goal seasons. Younger. .82 PPG average versus .69. I think Deb will want at least 8.8

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Nah, you're just hyperbolic. Tatar has 8 years of 20 goals or more, 1 with 19 goals. That's pretty good.

It's not bad saying Raymond, imo, looks like a 50 point type player vs a guy getting 60 plus points annually.

It's not that ridiculous when you take the names out.

Hope I'm wrong and it is "ridiculous" when he pots 40 this year like you think he will.

19 and 20 year old seasons, Raymond has 57 points in one and on pace for 50 in another where he was hurt. Youre right, when hes 25-30 years old, in his prime hes probably going to be a 50 point player.

Smart like dump truck

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
I agree that generally speaking centers and dmen are more important than wingers..

I would disagree with any notion that skilled, 70 to 80 pt, first line wingers are less important than 2nd or 3rd line two way centers or depth dmen or with any suggestion that acquiring 1 precludes you from acquiring the other..

We can do both.

I honestly do not think SY is capable of reliably drafting a high end first line center or first pairing dman with pick #17(lets assume that's the asset lost in a trade) because that is damn hard to do.

We're rebuilding a classic car as we're a classic franchise that was stripped down of all its parts.
If we were just building a daily driver, then a quick fix at the garage would have sufficed, KH would still be our GM, and we would be cruising down the hwy..

You're right though, while SY does have a long leash and progress has to be shown, it just doesn't have to be the finished product..
Well, Debrincat so far has proven he doesn't perform as advertised without better line mates. Either he needs a better center to push his production (In which case he isn't a line driver) or He's a line driver that doesn't do well due to whatever reasons in that his line mates didn't perform well either.

So either he sucks at being a line driver or he's a product of someone else. Why spend assets on that when those types of players aren't core material? Why not instead find

We're a classic franchise that isn't road worthy or drivable. Assets should be used to focus on getting us on the road, fluff can be added later. Why not target a Wyatt Johnson and see what shakes loose.

Until we have adequate/good center depth and shore up defense, there's literally no reason to look at wingers unless we're getting a Rantanen or Ovie type winger for a song and a dance.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Well, Debrincat so far has proven he doesn't perform as advertised without better line mates. Either he needs a better center to push his production (In which case he isn't a line driver) or He's a line driver that doesn't do well due to whatever reasons in that his line mates didn't perform well either.

So either he sucks at being a line driver or he's a product of someone else. Why spend assets on that when those types of players aren't core material? Why not instead find

We're a classic franchise that isn't road worthy or drivable. Assets should be used to focus on getting us on the road, fluff can be added later. Why not target a Wyatt Johnson and see what shakes loose.

Until we have adequate/good center depth and shore up defense, there's literally no reason to look at wingers unless we're getting a Rantanen or Ovie type winger for a song and a dance.
We need PLAY DRIVERS, not a specific position. If you can get a line driver at any poisition, you get it. That's it. I dont want DBC bc i agree with your assessment of him. But we should be looking at guys like Connor, Keller, Nylander etc that absolutely drive play easily at the level of similar quality centers.

Reactions: DamonDRW

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
We need PLAY DRIVERS, not a specific position. If you can get a line driver at any poisition, you get it. That's it. I dont want DBC bc i agree with your assessment of him. But we should be looking at guys like Connor, Keller, Nylander etc that absolutely drive play easily at the level of similar quality centers.
I agree completely, if we're spending assets, we need to use them to acquire players who can uplift their linemates and drive the play. Then as we fill out with more prospects coming up, kids get slotted in better, better chance of success and development, better end result. I'd just rather they be centers. Never been a fan of play driving wingers. Caps didn't win till they had better centers regardless of Ovie being a power house.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I agree completely, if we're spending assets, we need to use them to acquire players who can uplift their linemates and drive the play. Then as we fill out with more prospects coming up, kids get slotted in better, better chance of success and development, better end result. I'd just rather they be centers. Never been a fan of play driving wingers. Caps didn't win till they had better centers regardless of Ovie being a power house.
The cup winner’s best player was a winger, and the runner up’s best player was also a winger.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020

Play drivers don't ever do it alone though. They always have a running mate.

DeBrincat next to Larkin will help in driving the play. Will he score 30 goals or 40 goals? I don't know, man. But he'll end up top 2 or top 3 in the team in scoring.

Reactions: jkutswings

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

Teams don't want to trade that guy. And honestly, while I would love Kyle Connor, I don't know that I'd love him at 60% more of assets than Debrincat. I think Cat is closer to those guys than anyone wants to give him credit for because he happened to play exceptionally well on the wing of Patrick Kane who is unreal. I think Debrincat is actually a damn good hockey player and that Dylan Larkin is too. I don't know that Debrincat would have to drive the Wings top line because that's Dylan Larkin's job. The playmaking is Lucas Raymond's job. The Wings need an honest to goodness sniper more than some vague "play driver".

If you can get Nylander or Keller or Connor for a not insane price? Sure. But none of them have been made available in trade. So, to land them, you're paying an incredible amount over market value for them. This would be like me trying to buy a $200k house. I could certainly acquire the house if I had a 400k offer that I would guarantee to pay that price, but that would be a horrendous value for that house.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Raty and Graves talk, is that buttkrak?
Raty + Hronek for Horvat makes a hell of a lot more sense than 1st and 2nd for DBC. Horvat makes this team a borderline playoff team, DBC not so much.

I was just using that as an example of missed opportunities. I'm using the ones I called like Graves because then it doesn't sound like total hindsight BS. Not to mention we could have avoided Copp AND Chiarot which ARE mistakes.

There are obviously way more missed opportunities. But hindsight drafting and trading would be pointless because it's too easy. Just saying Stevie hasn't been active enough or creative enough. Plus Draper's second round drafting is suspect at best.

dekelikekocur

Mar 9, 2012
The cup winner’s best player was a winger, and the runner up’s best player was also a winger.
Sure their best player were wingers, till you look at what their centers were doing and their center depth which enabled their wingers. WIthout those centers? Neither team is in the finals. It always comes back to center depth. Teams win without elite wingers, PITT has 4 cups in the past 14 years and Phil was the closest they had to elite winger, how many teams have won in the past 30 years without elite centers or high end two way centers?

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Sure their best player were wingers, till you look at what their centers were doing and their center depth which enabled their wingers. WIthout those centers? Neither team is in the finals. It always comes back to center depth. Teams win without elite wingers, PITT has 4 cups in the past 14 years and Phil was the closest they had to elite winger, how many teams have won in the past 30 years without elite centers or high end two way centers?

You like centers, we've got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad