Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
8412np.jpg

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Laffy isnt a game breaker like Hughes (not many are), but he's 10x more noticeable out there and he's pulling off moves, plays, passes, reads, shots on a more consistent basis than what we've seen in the past.

Its a real good sign and hopefully his confidence continues to grow at this level.

Hughes is going to get a lot of hardware this season. The Bing, possibly MVP and if McDavid continues to be out the Ross as well. He's the envy of all teams, not just the Rangers.
Yeah. Hughes was obviously underrated as a 1OA. There were scouts that were leaning Kakko (who was maybe a bit over rated, though when all is said and done I think we’ll still be very happy with him). Jack wasn’t considered an elite talent by most but right now he is looking close to generational as far as his offense. Devils lucked out there, what can you do? It was not like we passed on him. Jack had fairly terrible D+1, I wasnt feeling too bad about missing out on him. Hahaha.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

KFC

May 24, 2004
Long Island
Laf is playing better and getting some results, however it's insane to compare him to Hughes. Only people who aren't watching them both play would do that. Hughes is a star. Flat out. He oozes skill. He dominates the game. Laf doesn't come close to that. He's had a couple good games which I'm happy about but if you watch him, he doesn't drive the play, dominate, or display a lot of skill yet. That has nothing to do with PP time or Ice time. Thats just watching what they do when they are on the ice.

The fact that we are excited about 3 good games (totaling 3 goals) says it all. Can't compare to Hughes.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
The hysterics here over laff were always laughable. It was so stupid. Hes always been this guy. Outside of last year were talking a guy with a 17%+ shooting percentage as a teenager in the nhl without pp time.

As ive said, he is a LOCK to be a 30/30 FLOOR guy with 40/40 upside.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The hysterics here over laff were always laughable. It was so stupid. Hes always been this guy. Outside of last year were talking a guy with a 17%+ shooting percentage as a teenager in the nhl without pp time.

As ive said, he is a LOCK to be a 30/30 FLOOR guy with 40/40 upside.
I still think his ceiling is higher. But he won’t get there till a star vet or two ages out of PP1 time or is just gone. No one has top scoring stats without SIGNIFICANT PP1 time. Hughes has more than half of his points this year on the PP. (this is not on knock on Hughes, just the reality of it)

Reactions: E-Train

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Listen to his perspective on it.

It *IS* similar in many respects. Expectations. Pressure. Up and down the lineup. Age. 1st round pick. Playing in Manhattan. Canadian suburb kid.

Remember Del Zotto came after Cherapanov and the year before was Sanguinetti. Del Zotto came out of the gate hot and had 37 points his first season at 19 - after that the expectations were through the roof for him and the pressure mounted from there. It got to the point where AV asked him to play a position he never played in his career and resulted in him wanting a trade.

The expectations WE have for Lafreniere are OUR problem. The pressure and what's going on between his ears is HIS problem.

Del Zotto carved out a pretty solid NHL career. I suspect when all is said and done Lafreniere's will end up being that much better.

And, judging by the activity in this thread, there are still very high expectations for Lafreniere from quite a lot fans.
Biggest issue with Del Zotto IMO is he was always an offensive defenseman whose game hinged on rushing the puck, his skating ability, and joining the rush.

In addition to the team asking him to switch positions, they really forced him to play more positionally than he had. His 37 points looked like a revelation, but the book on him was that he needed to work on his defense (and let's be real, Rangers fans were all over him for "bad defense" after his first year even while enjoying his point totals), so he focused on being more physical, and sacrificed some of the rush leading to play a more positionally sound game which hurt his point production. In addition, his shot was always very weak, and he never really did that much to improve it. Rangers handled it wrong, but Del Zotto really didn't focus on the areas of his game that needed it most...instead he tried to change his game to be what he was told the team needed him to be, which resulted in him becoming something he never was, and something he wasn't drafted to become.

As he got older, and his skating ability naturally declined some, he ended up settling into a role as a two-way puck moving defenseman rather than an offensive defenseman.

The Laf equivalent would be if the team decided they wanted him to turn into Scott Hartnell. That's not his game, and don't be surprised if he busts or declines if that's the organization's tact.

Nonetheless, it's a breath of fresh air to see him on a line with Chytil and Panarin and all 3 seem to be encouraged to be creative. They were by far the team's best line last night and it wasn't even close. If Laf can play like that every night, and make a few improvements to his physical skills in the process, he'll be well on his way back on track in his development.

Last edited:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Lots of good energy in this thread! So let's fix that.

I mean he scored last night, but did he realize the goalie was a righty? If the goalie was a lefty then he gets it with his blocker EZ.

That pass to Chytil on the 2 on 1, he zipped it perfectly through the tiny spot available between the stick and skate of the D. More luck!

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
I'd really love to be wrong about Laf.

He's actually moving this year. But still long way to go to meet expectations of a #1.

Alternatively, is it time the Rangers realize their offensive prospect development kind of sucks?
to go to meet expectations of a #1? what? this? and just read that 13 is once again in the same sentence as hughes and stoots and give it a couple of more hours later pastrnak, mcdavid and draisatil? a few here still think this while many realistically don't. i'm just very happy at this point that he's managed to finally show something good on ice for a change. bottom line: when he does good we do good.

just out of curiosity i wonder how lavi would handle kravtsov. maybe we could sign lockwood for a couple of days and then send him back to vancouver.

Reactions: qwertyaas and Lua

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd really love to be wrong about Laf.

He's actually moving this year. But still long way to go to meet expectations of a #1.

Alternatively, is it time the Rangers realize their offensive prospect development kind of sucks?
I would say that the noise around them in the media and their subsequent moves this offseason have shown that they recognized the issue. They did their part to address it, the players did their part to work hard over the summer, and now we need to hope these results can stay relatively consistent over the course of the season.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I just liked Kravtsov. Put up excellent defensive numbers and was a strong forechecker. Would love having him and Cuylle on the 3 or 4 lines
I actually would be really curious what an "energy/forechecking" line of Blidh, Johnny Brodz, and Kravtsov would have looked like. Kravtsov was really just an afterthought last season stuck with the failed duo of Panarin-Trocheck, or with a 4th line that's very similar to now with guys like Goodrow who just aren't creative, don't get open, and don't ever do anything off the rush.

Unfortunately we'll never see it with Goodrow and Bonino seemingly entrenched there (and Goodrow's awful contract), and PItlick waiting in the wings.
Vesey is the best player on that line and it's not even close.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I actually would be really curious what an "energy/forechecking" line of Blidh, Johnny Brodz, and Kravtsov would have looked like. Kravtsov was really just an afterthought last season stuck with the failed duo of Panarin-Trocheck, or with a 4th line that's very similar to now with guys like Goodrow who just aren't creative, don't get open, and don't ever do anything off the rush.

Unfortunately we'll never see it with Goodrow and Bonino seemingly entrenched there (and Goodrow's awful contract), and PItlick waiting in the wings.
Vesey is the best player on that line and it's not even close.
Vesey, Krav, Gauthier, all great 4 line options. Oh well

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
how long would have it taken to break up the Panarin Chytil Laffy line last season?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Lots of good energy in this thread! So let's fix that.

I mean he scored last night, but did he realize the goalie was a righty? If the goalie was a lefty then he gets it with his blocker EZ.

That pass to Chytil on the 2 on 1, he zipped it perfectly through the tiny spot available between the stick and skate of the D. More luck!
Ahahahah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad