Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Michael Del Zotto (see roster building thread for link to podcast) specifically talked about being a 19 year old guy thrust into a lineup where there wasn't really spot like with other teams. Ie... in NY, the pressure is instantly on and you're not allowed to go through the normal bumps and hiccups for a year or two until you "get it".

Lafreniere, and to a slightly lesser extent Kakko, have been put in precisely this position: 1st line w/PP expectations and 3rd line/No PP reality.

I mean, I get it - particularly in Lafreniere's case where you've got a future rafter guy (Kreider) and a possible HOF'er slotted ahead of you.

The best thing that can (and maybe it is happening) happen is that Laviolette saying that Laf's 2nd line RW spot is his, he expects there to be bumps in the road, but he doesn't have to constantly look over his shoulder (ie... Gallant) every time he makes a mistake.

The leash needs to be loosened and the dogs need to be allowed to run before we do something stupid and send this guy somewhere for a late 1st and a shit prospect.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Not asking him to be Mike Bossy. Not even Filip Forsberg. Just more to add to his arsenal. :)
Shot is definitely something I'd like to see him work on. The occasional clapper would be welcome. But most importantly, his wristshot release needs to be faster. It's slow and maximum efforts. I don't think he's getting the full value out of his stick flex either. It's just technique, and can be trained. His backhand is one notch down from elite. His wrister is average. His snapper is slightly above average. Haven't really seen him use the slapshot much. He's pretty far above average at deflections. It's a good base to start from. Lots of guys (including top prospects) have to work on their release, even at the NHL level.

I'd love to see him get better at this because it's our biggest need. We have very few guys that can straight up beat a goalie clean with a shot on a simple zone entry. Usually requires a great pass, a dangle, a deflection, or a garbage goal. Tarasenko had this ability which was something the team lacked since Gaborik. It would be incredible if Laf or Chytil could fill that role.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Vito Andolini

Mar 18, 2002
New Jersey
Michael Del Zotto (see roster building thread for link to podcast) specifically talked about being a 19 year old guy thrust into a lineup where there wasn't really spot like with other teams. Ie... in NY, the pressure is instantly on and you're not allowed to go through the normal bumps and hiccups for a year or two until you "get it".

Lafreniere, and to a slightly lesser extent Kakko, have been put in precisely this position: 1st line w/PP expectations and 3rd line/No PP reality.

I mean, I get it - particularly in Lafreniere's case where you've got a future rafter guy (Kreider) and a possible HOF'er slotted ahead of you.

The best thing that can (and maybe it is happening) happen is that Laviolette saying that Laf's 2nd line RW spot is his, he expects there to be bumps in the road, but he doesn't have to constantly look over his shoulder (ie... Gallant) every time he makes a mistake.

The leash needs to be loosened and the dogs need to be allowed to run before we do something stupid and send this guy somewhere for a late 1st and a shit prospect.
I'll listen to the podcast, but I don't exactly understand what that description means. MDZ came up with a young team and I don't remember expectations being unreasonably high for those teams either. He had a set spot in the lineup and opportunities over and over again for ups and downs.

Laf's situation is not similar at all. He was a #1 pick. He was billed as definitely being NHL ready and more. He underwhelmed. And frankly, expectations haven't been very high for a long time, because we all have eyeballs. It was obvious from early on that he didn't have consistent game breaking ability. He's needed to put in the time to build his skillset. I don't think his development would be on appreciably faster timetable if he was given more, earlier opportunities with some other team.

Reactions: Synergy27

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I agree about the confidence.

But he's had ice time... maybe not as much as some would like, but again you're not sitting Bread or Kreider to give him more when he's done little with what he was getting.

I love how he's looked for the most part thus far.

I'd love NOTHING more than to eat crow & A LOT OF IT about him.
Vesey and Goodrow had spots in the top 6 instead of Kakko and Lafreniere last year. He never really got a real chance at RW, and when he did play with Zib on lw he actually played well there but made a turnover and never got to see that line again. Happy Lav isn't just waiting for something to happen so he can move older guys up the lineup inspite of ourselves

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
I'll listen to the podcast, but I don't exactly understand what that description means. MDZ came up with a young team and I don't remember expectations being unreasonably high for those teams either. He had a set spot in the lineup and opportunities over and over again for ups and downs.

Listen to his perspective on it.
Laf's situation is not similar at all. He was a #1 pick. He was billed as definitely being NHL ready and more. He underwhelmed. And frankly, expectations haven't been very high for a long time, because we all have eyeballs. It was obvious from early on that he didn't have consistent game breaking ability. He's needed to put in the time to build his skillset. I don't think his development would be on appreciably faster timetable if he was given more, earlier opportunities with some other team.

It *IS* similar in many respects. Expectations. Pressure. Up and down the lineup. Age. 1st round pick. Playing in Manhattan. Canadian suburb kid.

Remember Del Zotto came after Cherapanov and the year before was Sanguinetti. Del Zotto came out of the gate hot and had 37 points his first season at 19 - after that the expectations were through the roof for him and the pressure mounted from there. It got to the point where AV asked him to play a position he never played in his career and resulted in him wanting a trade.

The expectations WE have for Lafreniere are OUR problem. The pressure and what's going on between his ears is HIS problem.

Del Zotto carved out a pretty solid NHL career. I suspect when all is said and done Lafreniere's will end up being that much better.

And, judging by the activity in this thread, there are still very high expectations for Lafreniere from quite a lot fans.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I missed most of the Calgary game. So glad he redeemed himself. Hope it continues tonight. Excited to see McJesus foremost, though.

And I just saw that he’s out. Disappointed as a hockey fan but relieved as a Rangers fan.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Vito Andolini

Mar 18, 2002
New Jersey
Listen to his perspective on it.

It *IS* similar in many respects. Expectations. Pressure. Up and down the lineup. Age. 1st round pick. Playing in Manhattan. Canadian suburb kid.

Remember Del Zotto came after Cherapanov and the year before was Sanguinetti. Del Zotto came out of the gate hot and had 37 points his first season at 19 - after that the expectations were through the roof for him and the pressure mounted from there. It got to the point where AV asked him to play a position he never played in his career and resulted in him wanting a trade.

The expectations WE have for Lafreniere are OUR problem. The pressure and what's going on between his ears is HIS problem.

Del Zotto carved out a pretty solid NHL career. I suspect when all is said and done Lafreniere's will end up being that much better.

And, judging by the activity in this thread, there are still very high expectations for Lafreniere from quite a lot fans.

It's professional sports. I'm sure it's all amplified a bit here, but let's be honest...it's hockey in Manhattan. The pressure is like a fraction of what other leagues get in this town. I'd be surprised if most of these guys even get recognized that often on the streets.

And also, it really doesn't matter where you play...at a point, you have to produce. If for no other reason than before long, you aren't going to be the hot, new thing. Sooner or later, newer, younger players will take your job. It's reality everywhere.

I really don't get the sense that expectations are huge for him or Kakko. And I never hear boo birds coming through the TV for either of them. I think what you are hearing in this thread, is more disappointment as people have come to grips with certain realities.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Would love to see 20 on the rafters and retire a Ranger lifer.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Not all. There were quite a few that were adament he was a good coach.

They kept pointing to his record and how we made ECF.

Other said coaching doesnt matter.

The smart ones knew he sucked as coach and that was the biggest reason why we underachieved.
Amazing that we let him neuter Laf. With Lavy actually giving the kids trust, I wasn’t even mad today with PP1 staying out there so long. With GG it made me furious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad