Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Not going to rehash all of this again because I don't want to detract from how he's looked thus far, but he was tried on the RW a few times.

Now that statement will ultimately lead to "...but Quinn..." or "...BUT GALLANT..."

Laf himself expressed that he's not comfortable on the right.

Like it or not, he was not very good on the left so moving him to a position he's not comfortable with, just to fill a team need, was questioned & rightfully so.

I hope this season is a BIG turning point for him. Nothing would make me happier.
A game or two at a new position is not a legitimate opportunity, and for the record, Laf has said MULTIPLE times that he IS comfortable switching to the right.
But this is all water under the bridge for now and hopefully for good.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
A game or two at a new position is not a legitimate opportunity, and for the record, Laf has said MULTIPLE times that he IS comfortable switching to the right.
But this is all water under the bridge for now and hopefully for good.

LW or RW imo it's more important for Laffy to play with dynamic guys who can move the puck in a way that helps him play to his strengths (instinct) in the o-zone. Panarin and Fil are perfect for that. That line may leak a goal or two but they are fun to watch going forward.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
Yep, then proceeded to play Goodrow, an objectively horrible defensive player, with Panarin and that line got their tits lit every night lol
do you have any stats to back up this shit that you're spewing? i get it - you hate goodrow. but all this shit that you just typed up just shows me you don't have any idea what you're talking about. if you did some actual research you might be shocked in what you might find.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
do you have any stats to back up this shit that you're spewing? i get it - you hate goodrow. but all this shit that you just typed up just shows me you don't have any idea what you're talking about. if you did some actual research you might be shocked in what you might find.
10-16-21 had 96 minutes together last year , had an xgf% of 45.6
literally the only line that goodrow was on last season that was positive xgf was 26-16-21.

Now 10-16-13 had an xg% of 48% in 155 minutes
13-72-24 had an xgf% of 51 in 500+ minutes

NHL Lines Advanced Stats for my source.

There was no 10-71-13 last season.

Reactions: UnSandvich

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I don’t hate him, he just sucks. Every forward on the team last year was better defensively away from Goodrow.

Here are 3 models that all agree that his isolated defensive impact is well below average

2C782AE7-5EBE-43D2-8D78-F03B8A495AFD.png
1F9D85AE-988E-4741-B032-7F61DE71EF51.jpeg
57BF34A3-14EF-429B-9395-CEB6FDE5F172.jpeg

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
10-16-21 had 96 minutes together last year , had an xgf% of 45.6
literally the only line that goodrow was on last season that was positive xgf was 26-16-21.

Now 10-16-13 had an xg% of 48% in 155 minutes
13-72-24 had an xgf% of 51 in 500+ minutes

NHL Lines Advanced Stats for my source.

There was no 10-71-13 last season.

In terms of CA/60, FA/60, xGA/60, Shots Against/60, and SCA/60 (as per NST), Goodrow is consistently the worst or 2nd worst (behind Schneider) Ranger currently on the roster. He does ever so slightly better in Goals Against, but then torpedoes that by having a lower Goals For than anyone with a worse Goals Against.

That was supposed to be in response to you but I hit button on the wrong post

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Laf is starting to play better so now we use the Laf thread to complain about Goodrow? This is a sickness. Listen to Carl Banks school the idiots BT and Sal. Good advice for many of us here.

Reactions: ArPanet

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Laf is starting to play better so now we use the Laf thread to complain about Goodrow? This is a sickness. Listen to Carl Banks school the idiots BT and Sal. Good advice for many of us here.
We were talking about how Laf was supposedly removed from RW for defensive issues, so I remarked how comical it was that Gallant replaced him with an even worse defensive player.

Sorry if I wanted to dunk on the guy telling me I’m “spewing shit” lol. I also don’t get why it really matters if a thread topic goes slightly off course

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
We were talking about how Laf was supposedly removed from RW for defensive issues, so I remarked how comical it was that Gallant replaced him with an even worse defensive player.

Sorry if I wanted to dunk on the guy telling me I’m “spewing shit” lol. I also don’t get why it really matters if a thread topic goes slightly off course
ok - if you're speaking defensively - my bad - in that regard he sucked, and you have stats/graphs to back it up. glad that it wasn't just reacting strictly on emotions, which i have a huge respect for.

on offense though with bread goodrow when teamed up with him was effective. especially during that stretch of games from 12-17-22 through 1-16-2023.

so in conclusion he both was good and sucked.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Yep, then proceeded to play Goodrow, an objectively horrible defensive player, with Panarin and that line got their tits lit every night lol

If Goodrow is objectively horrible at defense then what in God's name are we paying him for?

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
ok - if you're speaking defensively - my bad - in that regard he sucked, and you have stats/graphs to back it up. glad that it wasn't just reacting strictly on emotions, which i have a huge respect for.

on offense though with bread goodrow when teamed up with him was effective. especially during that stretch of games from 12-17-22 through 1-16-2023.

so in conclusion he both was good and sucked.
That conclusion is incorrect.

He stinks all around, especially for the money he's being paid.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Its a common fallacy that all hockey people (fans as well as coaches) that if a player completely sucks at offence he must be good at defence. Especially if he is gritty and a veteran.
Or the idea that you must not be good defensively if you’re not hitting, skating around looking like you’re trying super hard, flopping around on the ice blocking shots, small, under the age of 28, etc.

Reactions: TopShelfSnipes

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The next thing I would like to see more from Laf is the ability to consistently score goals from further than 5-10 feet.
Yeah some wicked wristers. He possesses a good shot. It isnt elite by any means but its good enough to beat NHL goalies.

To me its less about shot power and accuracy and all about getting into prime positions to use it. He's struggled with finding space for himself carrying the puck but that doesnt mean he cant begin finding soft areas in the high slot. He's got one of the greatest passers in the league on the other wing and play driving center, so the opportunities will be there if he learns how to find them.

The next step with Laf and Kakko as well for that matter is putting up some multi point games.

Laf had 9, 2 point games last season.
Kakko had 6

Neither of them have had a 3 point game in their careers.

Yes, a lot more difficult without top PP time, but would be nice if they could both reach that milestone at some point this season. Chytil broke through for his first the other night

Last edited:
Reactions: NickyFotiu

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not really sure what point you are trying to make.

I'm questioning if Laf had the wherewithal to notice the handedness of the defender or just got lucky.

If he did... wow... that's amazing.

If he didn't... cringe.
I mean, it’s not all that amazing. Its a standard aspect of on ice awareness.

This isn’t a Laf put down by the way. That was a nice play. Seems like some here want to detract from it and say it was lucky.

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Not really sure what point you are trying to make.

I'm questioning if Laf had the wherewithal to notice the handedness of the defender or just got lucky.

If he did... wow... that's amazing.

If he didn't... cringe.

I am an average beer leaguer, and I would be aware of the handedness of the defender I'm skating against basically 100% of the time. Laf probably is also noticing the way his hands are positioned on the stick, the lean to his stance, and any slight head turn.

These guys are way, way beyond having to consciously notice what handedness a guy is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad