Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
So I asked this in the GDT when it happened.

I labeled it as a dangerous/nice pass.

Dangerous because I wasn't sure if Lafreniere saw and noted the handedness of the high defender (#17 Sharangovich) or if he just got lucky.

I'm still not sure:

He def looked for Panarin before making the play... but if Sharangovich was right handed, that's an easy odd man rush the other way.

Again... Not judging. I want him to take some more chances and play with the puck more.

If Sharangovich was right-handed, Laf would have never even thought about making a pass like that. Sharangovich probably would have had his right arm and stick extended out to discourage Laf from even trying a pass into that patch of ice.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Ummm..not sure you got the point. Gallant did play him to start the year...the production was lacking.

It was 13 games last year before gallant nuked the lineup. That’s not enough time when:

-the team is generating offense well and is controlling play overall
-the other top 6 RW options are awful

What came after was infinitely worse yet got way more run.

Goodrow played close to 500 minutes in the top 6 under Gallant and was god awful. He dragged the top 9 down horribly both offensively and defensively. Panarin couldn’t score for like a month with him last year. Why was his leash so long? The team was terrible with him on the ice and it’s not like he was producing either. Those minutes all could’ve been Laf and we’d be in a better spot right now

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
His demeanor has noticeably changed since game 1 of the season.

I think it was really good he got that first goal of the season after the long chat with the coach. Settled his nerves.

Other than the Preds game (the whole team was off) he's been gaining confidence and he looks more focused, engaged and loose on that line.

I think theres another level he could hit - but just seeing what he's doing now is a really big positive. There have been some small moments when you watch him and it's like "Yes! Thats it! the player who was drafted 1st overall".

He needs to stay consistent and keep building. I want to eat crow with my criticisms of him. It was hard not to be disappointed but again its teaching us (me) the virtue of patience. Especially considering this is a unique scenario with all the star power in his way on this team.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
It was 13 games last year before gallant nuked the lineup. That’s not enough time when:

-the team is generating offense well and is controlling play overall
-the other top 6 RW options are awful

What came after was infinitely worse yet got way more run.

Goodrow played close to 500 minutes in the top 6 under Gallant and was god awful. He dragged the top 9 down horribly both offensively and defensively. Panarin couldn’t score for like a month with him last year. Why was his leash so long? The team was terrible with him on the ice and it’s not like he was producing either. Those minutes all could’ve been Laf and we’d be in a better spot right now

THIS!

Plus almost half a season of force feeding Panarin-Trocheck as an even strength line. Panarin had 2 even strength assists on Trocheck goals ALL SEASON. Probably breaks 100 points last season if Coach Dingus would have put him with literally any other center.

As you note, Goodrow had no business in the top 9 either. Kravtsov was badly used also. An awkward third wheel on the 10-16 failure wagon, or an out of place misfit toy on the 4th line. Didn't help he didn't do anything to force the issue either.

Gallant's line shuffling was responsible for everything that took place last season from "winning the analytics battle, most of the games, but Dingus doesn't like the defense" to the helmet toss, and the general mediocrity that followed all season after the winning streak following the helmet toss ended, until Tarasenko was brought in and things started to improve somewhat prior to the Kane trade.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
THIS!

Plus almost half a season of force feeding Panarin-Trocheck as an even strength line. Panarin had 2 even strength assists on Trocheck goals ALL SEASON. Probably breaks 100 points last season if Coach Dingus would have put him with literally any other center.

As you note, Goodrow had no business in the top 9 either. Kravtsov was badly used also. An awkward third wheel on the 10-16 failure wagon, or an out of place misfit toy on the 4th line. Didn't help he didn't do anything to force the issue either.

Gallant's line shuffling was responsible for everything that took place last season from "winning the analytics battle, most of the games, but Dingus doesn't like the defense" to the helmet toss, and the general mediocrity that followed all season after the winning streak following the helmet toss ended, until Tarasenko was brought in and things started to improve somewhat prior to the Kane trade.
lol failure wagon. I really feel for Gauthier/Kravtsov. There’s just nothing those guys could do since they didn’t have the reputations of being gritty/veteran

Beniersgeron

Release the Kraken!
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
If Sharangovich was right-handed, Laf would have never even thought about making a pass like that. Sharangovich probably would have had his right arm and stick extended out to discourage Laf from even trying a pass into that patch of ice.
Chytil made worser passes that Panarin have scored with, such sweet pass from Laffy but no luck :(

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

Now I need to know: What if Laf were Right-handed?!?! Wait, what if Panarin was left-handed?!?! ...what if Sharangovich used a stick that was 10 inches longer?!?!

Beniersgeron

Release the Kraken!
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
And even if Sharan was right handed so what? I want Laffy so be creative and take those chances with his passes. I see Jack Hughes lose the puck many times when trying to be creative but he keep doing it because when it work then its magic.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
And even if Sharan was right handed so what? I want Laffy so be creative and take those chances with his passes. I see Jack Hughes lose the puck many times when trying to be creative but he keep doing it because when it work then its magic.
Chytil did that on the first shift. He blindly threw a lateral pass that led to a turnover that led to Calgary's goal. I'll bet your initial reaction wasn't "keep doing that."

Reactions: Profet

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I have little trouble seeing if a player is play well in their first 10 minutes of games. That goes for rookie players to grizzled vets. It really is not that hard to see if a guy is playing well. It does not take 18 minutes of ice time to see if a player is playing well imo.
My point isn’t about a player showing development over the first 10 minutes of any particular game, and not necessarily even about 10 mins vs 16. It’s about giving the player reps, responsibility and opportunity such as better linemates and PP time, REGARDLESS of whether they are playing well or not, in order to let them find their game, to DEVELOP. Obviously a player gets 60% more reps in 16 mins than 10 and logically will come along faster. The way almost EVERY top pick gets treated. And again, NYR were in a different mode than say NJD (who gave Hughes 19+ mins a game and tons of PP even though his D+1 was worse than Laf’s), so I can’t blame them too much for prioritizing wins over development. But at the same time if we aren’t investing in development and willing to live with the growing pains, we shouldn’t EXPECT the same sort of development. You simply can’t have your cake and eat it too. We made a choice and have to live with it.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
So I asked this in the GDT when it happened.

I labeled it as a dangerous/nice pass.

Dangerous because I wasn't sure if Lafreniere saw and noted the handedness of the high defender (#17 Sharangovich) or if he just got lucky.

I'm still not sure:

He def looked for Panarin before making the play... but if Sharangovich was right handed, that's an easy odd man rush the other way.

Again... Not judging. I want him to take some more chances and play with the puck more.

It's the type of play that Panarin tries a lot that infuriates the fanbase because there is a good chance it ends up as a turnover going the other way.

That being said, it's a good move to attempt something that's a little risky instead of just dumping the puck in and playing it safe.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Now I need to know: What if Laf were Right-handed?!?! Wait, what if Panarin was left-handed?!?! ...what if Sharangovich used a stick that was 10 inches longer?!?!
A right-handed Laf would have done a spinorama to his right and then flick a pass on his backhand. A left-handed would have received it perfectly for a tap in ( see the irony?).

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's the type of play that Panarin tries a lot that infuriates the fanbase because there is a good chance it ends up as a turnover going the other way.

That being said, it's a good move to attempt something that's a little risky instead of just dumping the puck in and playing it safe.
Yeah I have no problem making that sort of play at all. You aren’t going to create offense by making the safe play and the elite players can pull off the high risk play. I sant to see Lafreniere making those passes.

LORDE

I am Lorde, YA YA YA
Aug 13, 2008
Feelin' good on a Wednesday
Jeez, seems like all he needed was some ice time and confidence, go figure.
I agree about the confidence.

But he's had ice time... maybe not as much as some would like, but again you're not sitting Bread or Kreider to give him more when he's done little with what he was getting.

I love how he's looked for the most part thus far.

I'd love NOTHING more than to eat crow & A LOT OF IT about him.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
A right-handed Laf would have done a spinorama to his right and then flick a pass on his backhand. A left-handed would have received it perfectly for a tap in ( see the irony?).
The real home run play there would've been, all fantasy handedness aside, the Panarin one-time slap pass to Chytil at the goalmouth for the tap-in goal following Laf threading the needle. :5:

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I agree about the confidence.

But he's had ice time... maybe not as much as some would like, but again you're not sitting Bread or Kreider to give him more when he's done little with what he was getting.

I love how he's looked for the most part thus far.

I'd love NOTHING more than to eat crow & A LOT OF IT about him.
Again, the idea that either Panarin or Kreider has ever had to sit in order to elevate Laf isn’t true and has never been true. There have been two wide open top 6 RW spots for the past 3 seasons with basically zero good options to fill them outside of the kids

Reactions: haveandare

LORDE

I am Lorde, YA YA YA
Aug 13, 2008
Feelin' good on a Wednesday
Again, the idea that either Panarin or Kreider has ever had to sit in order to elevate Laf isn’t true and has never been true. There have been two wide open top 6 RW spots for the past 3 seasons with basically zero good options to fill them outside of the kids
Not going to rehash all of this again because I don't want to detract from how he's looked thus far, but he was tried on the RW a few times.

Now that statement will ultimately lead to "...but Quinn..." or "...BUT GALLANT..."

Laf himself expressed that he's not comfortable on the right.

Like it or not, he was not very good on the left so moving him to a position he's not comfortable with, just to fill a team need, was questioned & rightfully so.

I hope this season is a BIG turning point for him. Nothing would make me happier.

Reactions: OthmannOut

Beniersgeron

Release the Kraken!
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Granted, this is highlights but most of it is from him being on the right wing. I think Laffy backhand is better than his forehand so I always thought he could make sweet backhand passes if moved to the right side.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Not going to rehash all of this again because I don't want to detract from how he's looked thus far, but he was tried on the RW a few times.

Now that statement will ultimately lead to "...but Quinn..." or "...BUT GALLANT..."

Laf himself expressed that he's not comfortable on the right.

Like it or not, he was not very good on the left so moving him to a position he's not comfortable with, just to fill a team need, was questioned & rightfully so.

I hope this season is a BIG turning point for him. Nothing would make me happier.
Laf himself never expressed that. Laf has said multiple times he’s comfortable playing on the right.
Gallant said “Laf plays better defensively on the left”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad