Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Disappointed by his play 2 periods in. Come on kid, shoot the puck!!!!

Vancouver does not have to worry about him shooting. He is pass first, pass second, pass third. Shooting never even enters his mind.
Did you miss his multiple shot attempts this game?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Disappointed by his play 2 periods in. Come on kid, shoot the puck!!!!

Vancouver does not have to worry about him shooting. He is pass first, pass second, pass third. Shooting never even enters his mind.
11 shots in 8 games. Hope he raises that soon. Ovi had more shots than that in 1 game I think.

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I get what you're saying about Lafreniere, but piling on Zegras after a slow start is even more ridiculous.

Player development isn't always linear, which is an important thing to remember. For Lafreniere or Zegras or anyone else, irrespective of their draft position.
Didn’t mean to pile on Zegras, but he’s just a prime example of why context matters. Let me clarify a bit as it wasn’t obvious by my post.

Individual performance always need to be viewed in context of the team environment. Zegras put up numbers in a free wheeling system where he could make highlight reel plays while him and the rest of the team regularly got caved in. It wasn’t competitive hockey. Now the Ducks are focused more on structure and the more fundamental aspects of the game and he’s struggling (meanwhile, McTavish is flourishing). Laf is in an opposite universe where he’s played on a team w/ a vet laden fwd core in a “system” where nearly everyone seemed to struggle at 5v5 and he only played 5v5. Now suddenly there’s a structure that’s improved 5v5 play and he’s suddenly looking much better.

It’s why points tracking without context isn’t very useful. I also don’t think this fact is lost on the Ducks either, given they insisted on bridging Zegras despite tons of cap space.

Reactions: dangsLITE and CLW

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
And yet he still has 4 goals

If you can’t see he’s becoming a top player you are out of your mind
You seem to be confusing me with someone who is NOT rooting for him. I want him to be GREAT more than any other non-Rangers fan. I just think he will get there fasted if he'd shoot instead of pass 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Because he only plays 5v5. No PP1 time, PP2 is barely on the ice. He doesn't play 4v4. He has to do everything 5v5. It's not easy to get a handful of shots on goal 5v5 when there's a whole other team trying to do the same things.
Does not need to have 5 shots a game but 2 shots a game would be a legitimate improvement.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
Does not need to have 5 shots a game but 2 shots a game would be a legitimate improvement.
He had a couple attempts off the top of my head that got blocked or went wide. I think he's doing well. More shots would be good, but it's always going to be hard to do consistently 5v5.

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
If lavy does nothing else but reaches laffy and helps him realize how to reach this level as a player than everything else is worth it. Laffy deserves a lot of credit for finding his place. He's making strides!
He looks faster and is skating and playing with purpose so far. Broken record but I really wish they'd get him on PP1 his offensive confidence would really go through the roof.

if it doesn't happen this season, next season is a must. He'll be 23. Ready to be one of the leaders on the team at that point. Can't hold him back his whole career.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He looks faster and is skating and playing with purpose so far. Broken record but I really wish they'd get him on PP1 his offensive confidence would really go through the roof.

if it doesn't happen this season, next season is a must. He'll be 23. Ready to be one of the leaders on the team at that point. Can't hold him back his whole career.
Nobody is trying to hold Laf back. Are we really now adding Peter Laviolette to the the lets hold back Laf conspiracy group? How deep does this group go? Gorton? JD? Quinn? Gallant? Drury? What do they gain? Is there a secret handshake to join? :)

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
Nobody is trying to hold Laf back. Are we really now adding Peter Laviolette to the the lets hold back Laf conspiracy group? How deep does this group go? Gorton? JD? Quinn? Gallant? Drury? What do they gain? Is there a secret handshake to join? :)
If he's not on PP1 he's being held back. Not sure how that's not blatantly obvious. If he's not on PP1 that's a huge opportunity he's not getting. I don't care what anyone thinks Trocheck's value is to that unit. Hint: it's not much. However, Laffy isn't on that unit like his peers so he's being held back. Not sure how or why that needs an explanation. It's logic.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The simple fact of the matter is young top draft choice forwards like Stutzle, B Tkachuk, Hughes etc. got chosen by teams who put them right onto PP1 unit and let them go make mistakes and begin building careers.

Who was blocking them on their respective teams? No one. The way Hughes played in his first season, he wouldnt have been on PP1 that year, and likely wouldnt have the following either if he had been on the Rangers. Who is he replacing? Mika? Kreider? Maybe Strome or Trocheck in the bumper? Players you went out and bought and have to justify their contracts. Thats the issue. This team never committed to a true rebuild and likely never will.

Of course Hughes wouldve started knocking on the door, loudly for PP1 time not long after that. But who knows with limited 3rd line time, how long that wouldve taken? Laf didn't bust down any doors, granted. Is that a result of his development/lack of ice time/PP1? He's come around and playing well now (helps to be playing in a top 6 role) but even if he continues at this pace is he supplanting anyone on PP1? Doubtful.

He will be limited to mainly 5on5 time and will need to produce there but even if he scores 50+ EVP and amongst some of the elite forwards of the league he wont be seen that way with the lack of a PP inflated total point stat line. Also - how many times a year is a player's drought snapped on a PP? Look at Mika the other night. Hes got the monkey off his back. Kakko could use a few of those because his droughts will begin to pile up.

I dont think we will ever really know if its the player or if its the situation. Personally i think its a little bit of both. 60/40, situation/player.

Hockey is different here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mas0764

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If he's not on PP1 he's being held back. Not sure how that's not blatantly obvious. If he's not on PP1 that's a huge opportunity he's not getting. I don't care what anyone thinks Trocheck's value is to that unit. Hint: it's not much. However, Laffy isn't on that unit like his peers so he's being held back. Not sure how or why that needs an explanation. It's logic.
Its not logic. Its your opinion which is not the same. If that was "logic" then every coach and GM are holding many players back in the NHL who are not on PP1. Chytil is not on PP1. KK is not on PP1. Our PP is playing excellent. They were ranked 2nd in the NHL the last time I looked.

The simple fact of the matter is young top draft choice forwards like Stutzle, B Tkachuk, Hughes etc. got chosen by teams who put them right onto PP1 unit and let them go make mistakes and begin building careers.

Who was blocking them on their respective teams? No one. The way Hughes played in his first season, he wouldnt have been on PP1 that year, and likely wouldnt have the following either if he had been on the Rangers. Who is he replacing? Mika? Kreider? Maybe Strome or Trocheck in the bumper? Players you went out and bought and have to justify their contracts. Thats the issue. This team never committed to a true rebuild and likely never will.

Of course Hughes wouldve started knocking on the door, loudly for PP1 time not long after that. But who knows with limited 3rd line time, how long that wouldve taken? Laf didn't bust down any doors, granted. Is that a result of his development/lack of ice time/PP1? He's come around and playing well now (helps to be playing in a top 6 role) but even if he continues at this pace is he supplanting anyone on PP1? Doubtful.

He will be limited to mainly 5on5 time and will need to produce there but even if he scores 50+ EVP and amongst some of the elite forwards of the league he wont be seen that way with the lack of a PP inflated total point stat line. Also - how many times a year is a player's drought snapped on a PP? Look at Mika the other night. Hes got the monkey off his back. Kakko could use a few of those because his droughts will begin to pile up.

I dont think we will ever really know if its the player or if its the situation. Personally i think its a little bit of both.

Hockey is different here.
Both Hughes and Tim would be on PP1 here as well imo. Neither Laf nor KK have shown dynamic offensive talent like Hughes and Tim have showed imo.

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
Its not logic. Its your opinion which is not the same. If that was "logic" then every coach and GM are holding many players back in the NHL who are not on PP1. Chytil is not on PP1. KK is not on PP1. Our PP is playing excellent. They were ranked 2nd in the NHL the last time I looked.

Both Hughes and Tim would be on PP1 here as well imo. Neither Laf nor KK have shown dynamic offensive talent like Hughes and Tim have showed imo.
It has nothing to do with opinion. He's not on PP1. He's not being given a look on PP1. Therefore he's being held back from that opportunity. That's a fact. Not an opinion. An opinion is: I believe PP1 would be better with Laf instead of Trocheck. Fact is: Laf isn't on PP1, therefore he's not being given that opportunity. It's an observation.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It has nothing to do with opinion. He's not on PP1. He's not being given a look on PP1. Therefore he's being held back from that opportunity. That's a fact. Not an opinion. An opinion is: I believe PP1 would be better with Laf instead of Trocheck. Fact is: Laf isn't on PP1, therefore he's not being given that opportunity. It's an observation.
I'm not on the NYR PP1 either. I'm so tired of them holding me back lol. The fact that any person on this planet is not on the NYR PP1 does not make it a fact that that person is being held back by 3 different coaches and 2 different GMs. There are 5 guys on the team playing on PP1. That doesn't mean the rest are being "held back" by the team. Show dynamic offense and you will get more and more time on the ice at both full strength and on the PP. That goes for every player. A coach like Peter Laviolette is not in the business of coaching to hold back players that can help him win games.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com

Lindgren is not on PP1. That is a fact

Lindgren is being held back because he is not on PP1. That's an opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad