Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think Laf works better in that net front position for PP2. He's not taking that spot from Kreider. Panarin is constantly all over that wall. Trocheck is winning faceoffs. He's also retrieving pucks. I get the frustration with him shooting wide and not having the hands to keep up with Panarin, Fox, and Zibanejad, but it's no broken right now.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Both Hughes and Tim would be on PP1 here as well imo. Neither Laf nor KK have shown dynamic offensive talent like Hughes and Tim have showed imo.
Right now, yes. But how many seasons would it have taken? Their rookie years... doubtful.

Hughes had a rough first year, yet he was given the keys to make mistakes and learn.

This team was never in a true rebuild mode.

Reactions: bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I think Laf works better in that net front position for PP2. He's not taking that spot from Kreider. Panarin is constantly all over that wall. Trocheck is winning faceoffs. He's also retrieving pucks. I get the frustration with him shooting wide and not having the hands to keep up with Panarin, Fox, and Zibanejad, but it's no broken right now.
I’ve said this before, laf’s best position on the pp is on the left d spot, he controlled the pp all through junior hockey and he mostly sat up top.
Pp2 is the best option for that.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I’ve said this before, laf’s best position on the pp is on the left d spot, he controlled the pp all through junior hockey and he mostly sat up top.
Pp2 is the best option for that.
Even during Junior hockey, many thought he should have been in front of the net for the powerplay. I wouldn't hate it for PP2, but I think the net front area is his game for finding the net.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Right now, yes. But how many seasons would it have taken? Their rookie years... doubtful.

Hughes had a rough first year, yet he was given the keys to make mistakes and learn.

This team was never in a true rebuild mode.
I understand your point Hughes weakness was his physical strength. Coaches would have wanted to get him as much open ice as possible. Ironically the thing that could have kept him off was that he is really bad at faceoffs. I think Jack may have had to play with someone that can win draws. Jack would have been on and off in his first and second seasons until he physically got stronger. He also had some injury issues.

Tim would have been in his second season imo.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I understand your point Hughes weakness was his physical strength. Coaches would have wanted to get him as much open ice as possible. Ironically the thing that could have kept him off was that he is really bad at faceoffs. I think Jack may have had to play with someone that can win draws. Jack would have been on and off in his first and second seasons until he physically got stronger. He also had some injury issues.

Tim would have been in his second season imo.
Ok, so that begs the question - How stunted would their growth be had they not been given full ice time including top PP time? If they were just meddling on the 2nd or 3rd lines, maybe hitting an even strength goal slump for 5 or 6. Maybe 7 games. Confidence issues could snowball without the consistent open ice and increased chances of production on the PP.

We may never know the answer to this but I do think its a valid question. I also think it was convenient for the Rangers not to have these two have inflated numbers with their 2nd contracts to be negotiated. The Rangers have had cap issues forever.

We cant say for sure how much the Rangers situation affected Lafs development. I think if he was that great he would've pushed the envelope as you suggest. But I dont think its the whole story here. Not some big conspiracy thing. Just the facts.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
The only argument you can make is that perhaps Laf won't be able to accumulate as many points as possible by not being on PP1, but the goal is to put the best team on the ice, not to inflate one players point totals and there's no reason to touch the top PP unit. The other thing is, it's far more important that he improves his 5v5 production to safely 2nd line levels which he's struggled to do up until this point. If he does that we won't need to see him on PP1 to know he's getting better.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The only argument you can make is that perhaps Laf won't be able to accumulate as many points as possible by not being on PP1, but the goal is to put the best team on the ice, not to inflate one players point totals and there's no reason to touch the top PP unit. The other thing is, it's far more important that he improves his 5v5 production to safely 2nd line levels which he's struggled to do up until this point. If he does.fhag we won't need to see him on PP1 to know he's getting better.
This is all true.

However, what I think is being lost is 5on5 play could realistically improve due to consistent PP time. That is something he hasnt had the luxury of like other top picks have, whether you want to debate the necessity of that with this particular roster or not.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
This is all true.

However, what I think is being lost is 5on5 play could realistically improve due to consistent PP time. That is something he hasnt had the luxury of like other top picks have, whether you want to debate the necessity of that with this particular roster or not.
I guess i don't really believe that one necessarily translates to the other. That's a major disagreement I have with the people who advocate for forcing these guys onto the top PP unit.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I guess i don't really believe that one necessarily translates to the other. That's a major disagreement I have with the people who advocate for forcing these guys onto the top PP unit.
I'm not one for forcing either of them onto PP1.

Not with the personnel they have and have had.

I just think for a young player trying to gain traction in the league offensively - having success on the PP with consistent time does wonders for one's confidence. Especially if you are being bottled up 5on5 and having long stretches without production.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Ok, so that begs the question - How stunted would their growth be had they not been given full ice time including top PP time? If they were just meddling on the 2nd or 3rd lines, maybe hitting an even strength goal slump for 5 or 6. Maybe 7 games. Confidence issues could snowball without the consistent open ice and increased chances of production on the PP.

We may never know the answer to this but I do think its a valid question. I also think it was convenient for the Rangers not to have these two have inflated numbers with their 2nd contracts to be negotiated. The Rangers have had cap issues forever.

We cant say for sure how much the Rangers situation affected Lafs development. I think if he was that great he would've pushed the envelope as you suggest. But I dont think its the whole story here. Not some big conspiracy thing. Just the facts.
I think its all total speculation that guys growth would be stunted by not playing more than they are ready to play. Many teams in all sports have been criticized (including the Rangers) for playing young guys too much before they were ready and breaking their confidence.

Since Jack Hughes was clearly an offensive player he would have been given chances and could have shined on the Rangers PP playing with other skilled players like Fox. No way to know for sure.

Let me ask you a question though. If Laf is nothing like Hughes at 5 on 5 why should we assume he would be anything like Jack Hughes at 5 on 4? They are totally different players. Jack is faster. Jack is a better shooter. Jack is a better puck handler. Jack is more creative with the puck. Laf is stronger physically. Laf hits more. Laf is better defensively.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I'd be butt cised to talk about changing PP1. It would be a fascinating discussion. But Laf and Kakko wouldn't be in it. It would be Trocheck vs. Wheeler.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I'm not on the NYR PP1 either. I'm so tired of them holding me back lol. The fact that any person on this planet is not on the NYR PP1 does not make it a fact that that person is being held back by 3 different coaches and 2 different GMs. There are 5 guys on the team playing on PP1. That doesn't mean the rest are being "held back" by the team. Show dynamic offense and you will get more and more time on the ice at both full strength and on the PP. That goes for every player. A coach like Peter Laviolette is not in the business of coaching to hold back players that can help him win games.
I mean they literally just fired two coaches who are very much in the business of holding players back that can help them win games. I’m not sure how you could even argue that, unless you’re a major proponent of the strategy where you try to beat a team of HOFers by suiting up a broken pelvis, Kevin Rooney and Dryden Hunt in your top 6.

I also don’t see why it matters that multiple coaches barely played Lafreniere. One of those coaches has never made it through a 3rd season with a team, the other is currently presiding over a team that couldn’t win a game in October. It’s not impossible that the team can hire multiple coaches/GMs who don’t know what they’re doing. The irony is that pretty much everyone agrees Dolan is dumb, yet somehow there’s no way he can hire a bunch of people who also are dumb.

As far as Laf on PP1 goes, it’s not a big issue. The rangers have 5 good players on their PP1 and are getting excellent results in terms of generation and overall conversion. An actual problem for example is when the hockey is bad and several players who are bad are being used over younger better players AKA the situation at 5v5 historically. That being said I’d like to see Laf/Kakko occasionally get time with PP1. They could also just give two shits about PP2 for once and actually try to optimize the personnel/roles. Laf/kakko will become more polished playing the half wall with Gustafson instead of Trouba who is an abomination in every capacity. It’s difficult to practice when your point man isn’t distributing with any kind of purpose or deception

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I mean they literally just fired two coaches who are very much in the business of holding players back that can help them win games. I’m not sure how you could even argue that, unless you’re a major proponent of the strategy where you try to beat a team of HOFers by suiting up a broken pelvis, Kevin Rooney and Dryden Hunt in your top 6.

I also don’t see why it matters that multiple coaches barely played Lafreniere. One of those coaches has never made it through a 3rd season with a team, the other is currently presiding over a team that couldn’t win a game in October. It’s not impossible that the team can hire multiple coaches/GMs who don’t know what they’re doing. The irony is that pretty much everyone agrees Dolan is dumb, yet somehow there’s no way he can hire a bunch of people who also are dumb.

As far as Laf on PP1 goes, it’s not a big issue. The rangers have 5 good players on their PP1 and are getting excellent results in terms of generation and overall conversion. An actual problem for example is when the hockey is bad and several players who are bad are being used over younger better players AKA the situation at 5v5 historically
No offense but you are a complete neophyte. You mention outlier things and pretend in your post they were the norm. There is a reason guys like Gallant and Laviolette are professional NHL coaches and you are not. Dryden Hunt averaged 8 minutes a game as a NYR. Please tell me how he was a regular top 6 player. He was filling a role in the top 6 occasionally. That was not the norm. Kevin Rooney averaged around 12 minutes a game as a NYR. The 12 minutes a game is around the same amount he played on NJ and it includes around 2 minutes a game killing penalties. So he was playing 10 minutes a game in the top 6 as the norm? So where were Mika, CK, Bread, Strome, Copp, Valtrano, Buchnevich, etc playing if Dryden Hunt and Kevin Rooney were playing in the top 6 as a norm and not as an outlier? How come their minutes per game were so low if they played in the top 6 as the norm and not an outlier?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
No offense but you are a complete neophyte. You mention outlier things and pretend in your post they were the norm. There is a reason guys like Gallant and Laviolette are professional NHL coaches and you are not. Dryden Hunt averaged 8 minutes a game as a NYR. Please tell me how he was a regular top 6 player. He was filling a role in the top 6 occasionally. That was not the norm. Kevin Rooney averaged around 12 minutes a game as a NYR. The 12 minutes a game is around the same amount he played on NJ and it includes around 2 minutes a game killing penalties. So he was playing 10 minutes a game in the top 6 as the norm? So where were Mika, CK, Bread, Strome, Copp, Valtrano, Buchnevich, etc playing if Dryden Hunt and Kevin Rooney were playing in the top 6 as a norm and not as an outlier? How come their minutes per game were so low if they played in the top 6 as the norm and not an outlier?
You stated that NHL coaches are not in the business of holding back players who can help them win games. I gave you an example of a NYR head coach doing that in maybe the biggest game of the past decade for this franchise. Your retort is an ad hominem followed by an argument from authority.

You think these decisions aren’t the norm? Panarin-Strome-Hunt played more minutes than any other line in 21-22 and were extremely bad.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
You stated that NHL coaches are not in the business of holding back players who can help them win games. I gave you an example of a NYR head coach doing that in maybe the biggest game of the past decade for this franchise. Your retort is an ad hominem followed by an argument from authority.

You think these decisions aren’t the norm? Panarin-Strome-Hunt played more minutes than any other line in 21-22 and were extremely bad.
Dryden Hunt averaged 12 minutes a game 21-22. That average was ranked 14th among our forwards that season. He averaged 8 minutes a game in 22-23. If you believed in your take you would not try to promote outliers as the norm. If you really know about hockey you understand that sometimes lesser players play on a higher line for assorted reasons such as needing a more physical player. That is not to purposefully hold back any players. You know who played more minutes than Hunt that season? Kaapo Kakko. You know who else played more minutes than Hunt that season. A rookie named Lafreniere.

LOL you gave me an example of sitting a guy KK with 2 goals in 19 games including 0 goals in 6 games that series and who missed 2 empty nets as your norm of a coach sitting better players?

Okay you go on believing our 3 head coaches coaches purposefully hold back their own players to stop them from excelling. That is totally logical. In other totally logical news I was going to win a million dollars in the lottery but I said please just give me a thousand instead. :D

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Dryden Hunt averaged 12 minutes a game 21-22. That average was ranked 14th among our forwards that season. He averaged 8 minutes a game in 22-23. If you believed in your take you would not try to promote outliers as the norm. If you really know about hockey you understand that sometimes lesser players play on a higher line for assorted reasons such as needing a more physical player. That is not to purposefully hold back any players. You know who played more minutes than Hunt that season? Kaapo Kakko. You know who else played more minutes than Hunt that season. A rookie named Lafreniere.

LOL you gave me an example of sitting a guy KK with 2 goals in 19 games including 0 goals in 6 games that series and who missed 2 empty nets as your norm of a coach sitting better players?

Okay you go on believing our 3 head coaches coaches purposefully hold back their own players to stop them from excelling. That is totally logical. In other totally logical news I was going to win a million dollars in the lottery but I said please just give me a thousand instead. :D
Look chief, we can agree to disagree on the definition of “held back”. Personally I don’t see how the team or player benefits from 4th liners spending hundreds and hundreds of minutes in the top 6. That’s extremely valuable ice time to let your young players gain chemistry with your best players so that you know what you have in them as soon as possible. Instead we’re doing this in years 4,5,7 for the kids. It’s dysfunctional.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Look chief, we can agree to disagree on the definition of “held back”. Personally I don’t see how the team or player benefits from 4th liners spending hundreds and hundreds of minutes in the top 6. That’s extremely valuable ice time to let your young players gain chemistry with your best players so that you know what you have in them as soon as possible. Instead we’re doing this in years 4,5,7 for the kids. It’s dysfunctional.

Just wondering, how have the teams that rebuilt "the right way" done? Is the goal here to win or have the best player? It took the Avalanche 9 years to win after bottoming out and drafting MacKinnon. I wouldn't call that a success. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't No different than other strategies. There are ten teams with 20/1 odds or better to win the cup. of those the Hurricanes, Golden Knights, Rangers, Bruins, Stars, never went into some huge rebuild where they tried to bottom out for years on end.

Last edited:

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm a chief? As in an Indian chief? Or another kind of chief?

Again you are ignoring the fact that "3rd liners" KK and Laf played more minutes than Hunt.

You may not understand why you put a physical grinder with more skilled guys occasionally but almost every coach in NHL history understands. Jesper Fast is not a top 6 scoring guy but he was a good fit at RW in Breads first year as a Ranger. Bread had one of his best seasons ever that year. The Rangers put Phil Esposito (their best goal scorer) with Don Maloney and Dean Talafous. They were corner men. They were not skilled goal scorers like a Anders Hedberg. Wayne Gretzky played with Dave Semenko at times. It was not because Dave Semenko was a gifted scorer. I'm sorry you do not understand the reasons that lesser guys sometimes play some on higher lines.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Just wondering, how have the teams that rebuilt "the right way" done? Is the goal here to win or have the best player? It took the Avalanche 9 years to win after bottoming out and drafting MacKinnon. I wouldn't call that a success. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't No different than other strategies. There are ten teams with 20/1 odds or better to win the cup. of those the Hurricanes, Golden Knights, Rangers, Bruins, Stars, never went into some huge rebuild where they tried to bottom out for years on end.
You aren’t reading. My point isn’t that the Rangers shouldn’t have prioritized winning over development. My point is that if they wanted to win, what the hell were Goodrow and Hunt doing up there for so long over players who are younger and already significantly better than them. The decision making process has never aligned with winning or development. All they’ve done is putz around with bums pre trade deadline every year

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You aren’t reading. My point isn’t that the Rangers shouldn’t have prioritized winning over development. My point is that if they wanted to win, what the hell were Goodrow and Hunt doing up there for so long over players who are younger and already significantly better than them. The decision making process has never aligned with winning or development. All they’ve done is putz around with bums pre trade deadline every year

I think @NickyFotiu already explained to you that when constructing lines the method is not necessarily to put your three best players on the first line and next three best on the second line. Balance is important. And I think you're well aware the reason Laf did not get much of an opportunity there is because they wanted him to play LW.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
The only argument you can make is that perhaps Laf won't be able to accumulate as many points as possible by not being on PP1, but the goal is to put the best team on the ice, not to inflate one players point totals and there's no reason to touch the top PP unit. The other thing is, it's far more important that he improves his 5v5 production to safely 2nd line levels which he's struggled to do up until this point. If he does that we won't need to see him on PP1 to know he's getting better.

The goal is to win a Cup and sometimes that is done by developing instead of putting the best team today on the ice.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The goal is to win a Cup and sometimes that is done by developing instead of putting the best team today on the ice.
...no, actually...

If the goal is to win the Cup...teams will put the best team that they can on the ice to win NOW. Not the best team X years from now.

They will always play the best roster they can. Not the best roster they can to develop a team a year or so down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad