Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Generally, if it's done, it's done by like 1-4 players in a given season. Expecting that to be an expectation is the part that is absurd. Could it be done? Sure. Could any child turn in to Elon Musk? Sure. But the odds aren't good and therefore if it doesn't happen, should that be considered a failure?
I'm not saying anyone is a failure but can we acknowledge that there is a large range between 13 even strength goals and 43 even strength goals in 2022-23? Or a range between 29 even strength points and 90 even strength points in 2021-22? My point is before we say something is impossible lets consider that there is a large range between calling someone a failure and claiming something is impossible.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I guess i don't really believe that one necessarily translates to the other. That's a major disagreement I have with the people who advocate for forcing these guys onto the top PP unit.
Confidence gained in ANY situation on the ice carries over to ALL situations on the ice. It will vary by player for sure, but reps and the coaches' trust build confidence, and I think we all agree that confidence is NOT inconsequential.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
...no, actually...

If the goal is to win the Cup...teams will put the best team that they can on the ice to win NOW. Not the best team X years from now.

They will always play the best roster they can. Not the best roster they can to develop a team a year or so down the line.
Well... not always. It depends on whether you realistically, reasonably, think you CAN win a Cup in any given year. If you look at the roster and honestly say, "Yeah we're a contender." maybe you don't emphasize development. If your honest assessment is "pretty unlikely we go all the way this year." Maybe you sacrifice some immediate success for the sake of development/the future. Hence the NJD playing Hughes almost 20 mins a game while he was having a worse D+1 than Lafrenierre...

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I'm choosing to look at the glass half full. The second line has been our best in some ways. Hopefully Laf and Chytil are learning from Bread.

Reactions: bhamill

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I'm choosing to look at the glass half full. The second line has been our best in some ways. Hopefully Laf and Chytil are learning from Bread.
Half empty: 2nd line is only good because Panarin is going beastmode.

Number 1 and 2 missing like that on breakaways is the epitome of Rangers in my book.
True but even Panarin is like 0 for his last 7 breakaways. The team just has a disease.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Johnny Gaudreau put up 90 points at even strength in 2021-22.

Pasternack put up 43 goals at even strength in 2022-23.

The "impossible" is possible.
Well, in all fairness it's fluky and not a reasonable expectation, but POSSIBLE? Sure. Gretzky put up 100 goals one year, have we ever expected another player (or even Gretz) to regularly do that? Or even do it once (once more in Gretzky's case).

Last edited:
Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I'm not saying anyone is a failure but can we acknowledge that there is a large range between 13 even strength goals and 43 even strength goals in 2022-23? Or a range between 29 even strength points and 90 even strength points in 2021-22? My point is before we say something is impossible lets consider that there is a large range between calling someone a failure and claiming something is impossible.
Well maybe taking the average for EV scoring for a top sixer, or even first liner, and using THAT as a comparison is a far more realistic expectation for a developing 22 year old than than looking at the outlier high an ELITE veteran player hit once in his career...

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Well maybe taking the average for EV scoring for a top sixer, or even first liner, and using THAT as a comparison is a far more realistic expectation for a developing 22 year old than than looking at the outlier high an ELITE veteran player hit once in his career...
I agree but I was responding to a person that said it was impossible.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Well, in all fairness it's fluky and not a reasonable expectation, but POSSIBLE? Sure. Gretzky put up 100 goals one year, have we ever expected another player (or even Gretz) to regularly do that? Or even do it once (once more in Gretzky's case).
I was not saying we should expect 43 even strength goals, 90 even strength points nor 100 goals. I just thought saying it was impossible to accumulate even strength points was a bridge too far.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
It’s the hallmark of this this team. Expectations are often unreasonable, vary wildly based on age and reputation, and usually have nothing to do with what’s actually happening on the ice

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Half empty: 2nd line is only good because Panarin is going beastmode.
Sometimes 1 guy (Bread) going beastmode can help other linemates see what it takes to raise their own games especially when it is a vet. I choose to look at that glass as half full for our 2 young guys on that line. I would like to see KK raise his game more consistently.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Johnny Gaudreau put up 90 points at even strength in 2021-22.

Pasternack put up 43 goals at even strength in 2022-23.

The "impossible" is possible.

If you are looking for a player to do something that McDavid, Ovechkin and Crosby struggle to do or can't do then yes its basically impossible and nuts to expect. McDavid scored 74 points at ES in 82 games last year. He scored 59 points at 5v5. He won the Hart Trophy.

Only 55 players scored 40 5v5 points last year. Only 30 players scored 45 points. Only 40 players scored 20 goals at 5v5. Only 13 players scored 25 goals.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If you are looking for a player to do something that McDavid, Ovechkin and Crosby struggle to do or can't do then yes its basically impossible and nuts to expect. McDavid scored 74 points at ES in 82 games last year. He scored 59 points at 5v5. He won the Hart Trophy.

Only 55 players scored 40 5v5 points last year. Only 30 players scored 45 points. Only 40 players scored 20 goals at 5v5. Only 13 players scored 25 goals.
So scoring even strength points is not impossible. I think there is a guy nicknamed Bread on our own team that scores even strength points as well. :)

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
We need to stop using even strength instead of 5v5. Last year teams averaged 170 5v5 goals/year but 195 even strength goals. It's a big difference - especially for the players who play in OT and ENG scenarios. Alex Ovechkin has scored 366 career 5v5 goals and 459 even strength goals.
Yeah, and people should start using rate stats instead of raw points totals, so I don't have to hear about ice time.or lack thereof.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

How about asking him to reach 2P/60 at 5v5 which about 100 players did each of the past two years? That seems pretty reasonable. He's never done that before.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Well... not always. It depends on whether you realistically, reasonably, think you CAN win a Cup in any given year. If you look at the roster and honestly say, "Yeah we're a contender." maybe you don't emphasize development. If your honest assessment is "pretty unlikely we go all the way this year." Maybe you sacrifice some immediate success for the sake of development/the future. Hence the NJD playing Hughes almost 20 mins a game while he was having a worse D+1 than Lafrenierre...
Jack put himself in bad positions to get muscled off the puck, hit and potentially hurt. That's why he had a bad first year. He learned from that and doesn't put himself in those positions anymore. But the controlled neutral zone play was far superior than anything Lafreniere did during his first year, unless you go by points.

I think we need to stop comparing the success Jack had to Lafreniere not having the same opportunity/chances, etc. Jack showed elite puck carrying ability in his first year.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Jack put himself in bad positions to get muscled off the puck, hit and potentially hurt. That's why he had a bad first year. He learned from that and doesn't put himself in those positions anymore. But the controlled neutral zone play was far superior than anything Lafreniere did during his first year, unless you go by points.

I think we need to stop comparing the success Jack had to Lafreniere not having the same opportunity/chances, etc. Jack showed elite puck carrying ability in his first year.
I agree. We never had a chance to get Jack so its a waste of time. Would be interesting who the fanbase would have wanted if it was Jack or Laf at draft time. Back then there was some talk about KK over Jack. I was actually wrong about Jack in general. I knew he had outstanding skills but I feared he would be pushed around a lot and that would limit his ceiling.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

Well that will be easy because my point was about their usage helping their development. And like it or not, Hughes had a worse D+1 than Lafreniere while getting 50% more ATOI and loads of PP1 time (and 5 more games played, I think). Which benefitted Hughes‘ learning curve. In no way am I trying to say Laf would have had the same level of success as Hughes. Just that Laf would have been closer to reaching his OWN potential. He’d have more reps and most likely more confidence. I don’t think it’s a wild take, TBH. It’s pretty much just common sense. I only mention how bad Hughes was in his D+1 for the “Laf didn’t earn it” crowd, because the norm is a high pick goes to a bad team and they are GIVEN PP1 and lots of ice and responsibility without having earned it.

Last edited:

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Laf looks different than previous years and the awful preseason. He has an extra step than I’ve seen before allowing him to be more than a passenger on the line. He doesn’t need to be a game breaker because Panarin has that covered. With that said he’s looking above average at a minimum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad