Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I'm not sure why some people try to make the argument that it's impossible to produce in a lesser 5v5 role when plenty of very good-to-elite players have done it before getting moved up in the lineup.

What's most important is that his overall 5v5 play has been very good to start the year, and he's 1st and 4th in CF%rel and xGF%rel among our forwards. Individually, I still think he needs to find ways to shoot a bit more, even if it's a simple play like a pass-off-pads to generate a rebound. The sweet spot for him given his usage should be 3+ shot attempts/game at 5v5. It's not surprising, but those games this year involve some of the best performances from their entire line. Having no assists as of now is a bit fluky, but those will come in time; he's made some really nice set-ups that simply weren't finished
Laf did this though in his 2nd year and didn’t receive any kind of elevation. You all are correct that Hughes didn’t have a big role as a rookie but he received a huge bump the 2nd year with his only body of work being a bad rookie season.

My gripe with the Laf situation is that they could’ve just done this all earlier. Instead they wasted two years playing cones in the top 6 and blowing assets on rentals. Now here we are still having not replaced any of the Buchnevich production.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
La-Nightmiere just showed up at my door for tricks or treats. I said because he missed on the breakaway I got him:

GUEST_ecb5f5a6-56a6-4fa3-83ee-da0403fb75bb

Vanilla because he is.

If Laf became the hockey equivalent of this yogurt I’d be thrilled because this yogurt f***ing rocks lmao

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Laf did this though in his 2nd year and didn’t receive any kind of elevation. You all are correct that Hughes didn’t have a big role as a rookie but he received a huge bump the 2nd year with his only body of work being a bad rookie season.

My gripe with the Laf situation is that they could’ve just done this all earlier. Instead they wasted two years playing cones in the top 6 and blowing assets on rentals. Now here we are still having not replaced any of the Buchnevich production.
Jack DID have a big role in his first year, bigger than he earned. His 16 mins a game were as much as Laf is getting NOW. And what 2-3 mins of PP1 a night? That's what it would need to be for Laf to have had more EV ATOI than Jack. Jack played close to 1000 mins his D+1. Laf close to 800. That's about 25% more for Jack. And as far as EV play, Laf had all 21 of his points at EV. Jack had 12 at EV. Their second seasons the difference was even more stark, Jack getting just over 19mins ATOI (and beginning to justify it), Laf getting just under 14... (still scoring 19 EV goals, but not "earning" anything more than he got in his D+1)
No matter how anyone wants to slice it or deny it, The Devils invested far more in development for Hughes than NYR did for Laf, or KK or Chytil. That's just the stark reality of it. Now, again, I understand why the two teams acted as they did: they were in disparate situations, one trying to win, and Jack didn't have to displace two stars at his position on the Devils.
And AGAIN I'm not saying Laf would be a star right now, I'm saying he would be closer to his own potential. I'm not sure how that's something anyone can rationally argue against.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Welcome!

You can collect your foil hat at the door.

And do feel free to explore, @Stone97Ace. I would point you to a HFNYR Welcome & Quick-Start Guide if there were one.

I think you'll find the amenities pleasing. Lots of analytics to peruse. There's a library off in the corner that smells of rich mahogany and is filled with Rangers history books, operated by an old man who we are unsure is actually a Rangers fan.

There are many contests here to entertain you. Including one for funniest post each game. At the end of each season a Boardies awards ceremony is conducted, with many, many categories for you to choose and enter. It's a real black-tie affair.

Here you will find funny posters. You will find angry posters. You will encounter posters who follow the trials and tribulations of Brett Howden. Pidtophiles who carry out Bill Pidto's mission to live life one 150-second clip at a time. Kravtsov worship. You can get religious but not political.

You are encouraged to voice your opinion about John Brancy, as long as you think he's great. Everybody's an asshole here: there's an opinion on everything coming from each one.

Interesting nugget: Our resident game-day-thread creator extraordinaire is also Disney's president whose side hustle is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

His overall 5v5 play that year was pretty pedestrian and was driven mainly by him shooting 20% at 5v5; a 1.66 p/60 is good, but could be better, which is what I was alluding to before.

I’m a big fan of Laf. He looks much better this year and is trending upwards. If he keeps it up, the points and increased opportunities will come. He’s been absolutely fantastic defending the NZ and has made some great defensive plays to start counter-attacks. Just stay consistent, and we’ll all be happier

Reactions: bhamill

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
And do feel free to explore, @Stone97Ace. I would point you to a HFNYR Welcome & Quick-Start Guide if there were one.

I think you'll find the amenities pleasing. Lots of analytics to peruse. There's a library off in the corner that smells of rich mahogany and is filled with Rangers history books, operated by an old man who we are unsure is actually a Rangers fan.

There are many contests here to entertain you. Including one for funniest post each game. At the end of each season a Boardies awards ceremony is conducted, with many, many categories for you to choose and enter. It's a real black-tie affair.

Here you will find funny posters. You will find angry posters. You will encounter posters who follow the trials and tribulations of Brett Howden. Pidtophiles who carry out Bill Pidto's mission to live life one 150-second clip at a time. Kravtsov worship. You can get religious but not political.

You are encouraged to voice your opinion about John Brancy, as long as you think he's great. Everybody's an asshole here: there's an opinion on everything coming from each one.

Interesting nugget: Our resident game-day-thread creator extraordinaire is also Disney's president whose side hustle is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Was there actually Kravtsov worship on here??? I didn’t use this site at the time

• Haha
Reactions: TheGortonConspiracy

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
New member here. Friends with Kovy27, KOCUR, Leetch, Inferno, among others.

Very rational poster, not one to over or under react.

Thanks for Kov for directing me here. I'm sure we will keep winning and Laffy will keep producing and we will all enjoy. Orange slices for all!
Your likes to posts ratio is phenomenal, never post again and ruin it.

Reactions: will1066

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
How about asking him to reach 2P/60 at 5v5 which about 100 players did each of the past two years? That seems pretty reasonable. He's never done that before.
Its reasonable but it still wont make most people happy.

Assuming Laf plays 1100 minutes, a 2P/60 pace could be less than 40 points at 5v5. Add in some points from light work on a functional PP2 and some other misc points and you are talking about a player who's production, even in a good season, will fall significantly short of most peoples expectations of a 22yo 1st OA pick. Especially compared to his peers.

I mean even if he goes bananas in his 1100 minutes and has a P/60 in line with what McDavid and Matthews did at 5v5 last year Laf still won't hit 70 points and it would be possible he wouldn't hit 60 depending on PP2 usage and luck with fluff points.

For the record I am not advocating changing anything but expectations.

Reactions: bhamill

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Assuming Laf plays 1100 minutes, a 2P/60 pace could be less than 40 points at 5v5. Add in some points from light work on a functional PP2 and some other misc points and you are talking about a player who's production, even in a good season, will fall significantly short of most peoples expectations of a 22yo 1st OA pick. Especially compared to his peers.

I mean even if he goes bananas in his 1100 minutes and has a P/60 in line with what McDavid and Matthews did at 5v5 last year Laf still won't hit 70 points and it would be possible he wouldn't hit 60 depending on PP2 usage and luck with fluff points.

I’m not too concerned if people are happy about it or not, I just see a lot of people talking about how his point totals have been underwhelming because of his usage/ice time and I think rather than looking at his raw point totals to gauge whether or not he’s been disappointing we could purely take a look at how he produces in the minutes he gets.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and LORDE

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

Yeah but but David Pastrnak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad