Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

LORDE

I am Lorde, YA YA YA
Aug 13, 2008
Feelin' good on a Wednesday
I’m not too concerned if people are happy about it or not, I just see a lot of people talking about how his point totals have been underwhelming because of his usage/ice time and I think rather than looking at his raw point totals to gauge whether or not he’s been disappointing we could purely take a look at how he produces in the minutes he gets.
I, as one of his biggest critics or harshest critics... whatever...

Would go a step further.

I do not care about point totals honestly. He needs to look actively engaged. Making plays, trying to make plays, shooting, putting himself in good positions (on both O & D). Asserting himself in any way. Working smarter not harder. Smart plays.

He's been doing all of that. Points will happen when those things happen.

Overall I've been impressed thus far.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Would go a step further.

I do not care about point totals honestly. He needs to look actively engaged. Making plays, trying to make plays, shooting, putting himself in good positions (on both O & D). Asserting himself in any way. Working smarter not harder. Smart plays.

Im like that as well but I think making things happen often is accompanied by working hard.

Reactions: LORDE

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
The panel on NHL Tonight on NHL Network just voiced what I've been saying. It's expected that high picks will get big minutes in general and extra minutes on the PP. They're not getting those minutes and because of that their numbers are going to suffer. You then have to look at what they're doing 5v5. They mentioned how productive Laf and Kakko have been 5v5 so far in their carees despite their usage. They've been playing well.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The panel on NHL Tonight on NHL Network just voiced what I've been saying. It's expected that high picks will get big minutes in general and extra minutes on the PP. They're not getting those minutes and because of that their numbers are going to suffer. You then have to look at what they're doing 5v5. They mentioned how productive Laf and Kakko have been 5v5 so far in their carees despite their usage. They've been playing well.

Agreed re: Laf. Not Kakko.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
The difference is that Hughes is one of the greatest skaters of all time and Lafreniere is below average.
I mean that’s a little dramatic, but I’m not talking about individual skill sets. Sure Hughes is a much better skater than Laf. So?

Hughes has flaws- he had 68 EV points last year and was only +10, despite starting 73% of his shifts in the OZ. Zibby by contrast was +25 with only 50 EV points and about 50% OZ starts. Who’s better?

Every player is different. A huge part of Laffy’s lack of totals is his lack of opportunity. There’s no denying that top scorers feast on PP1.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I mean that’s a little dramatic, but I’m not talking about individual skill sets. Sure Hughes is a much better skater than Laf. So?

Hughes has flaws- he had 68 EV points last year and was only +10, despite starting 73% of his shifts in the OZ. Zibby by contrast was +25 with only 50 EV points and about 50% OZ starts. Who’s better?

Every player is different. A huge part of Laffy’s lack of totals is his lack of opportunity. There’s no denying that top scorers feast on PP1.
there is no way that he’s starting 73% of his shifts in the o zone, most are going to begin on the fly. Hughes completely blew Zib out of the water in production and every single differential. The main difference is his sub-.900 on-ice sv% compared to zibs .936

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
there is no way that he’s starting 73% of his shifts in the o zone, most are going to begin on the fly. Hughes completely blew Zib out of the water in production and every single differential. The main difference is his sub-.900 on-ice sv% compared to zibs .936
IMG_8302.png

• Haha
Reactions: Rangers in 7

Stone97Ace

Oct 30, 2023
And do feel free to explore, @Stone97Ace. I would point you to a HFNYR Welcome & Quick-Start Guide if there were one.

I think you'll find the amenities pleasing. Lots of analytics to peruse. There's a library off in the corner that smells of rich mahogany and is filled with Rangers history books, operated by an old man who we are unsure is actually a Rangers fan.

There are many contests here to entertain you. Including one for funniest post each game. At the end of each season a Boardies awards ceremony is conducted, with many, many categories for you to choose and enter. It's a real black-tie affair.

Here you will find funny posters. You will find angry posters. You will encounter posters who follow the trials and tribulations of Brett Howden. Pidtophiles who carry out Bill Pidto's mission to live life one 150-second clip at a time. Kravtsov worship. You can get religious but not political.

You are encouraged to voice your opinion about John Brancy, as long as you think he's great. Everybody's an asshole here: there's an opinion on everything coming from each one.

Interesting nugget: Our resident game-day-thread creator extraordinaire is also Disney's president whose side hustle is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Thank you, Will. I was going to hold off on a post until Thursday's game. It would have glorious. However, this introduction merits a response.

First, other than Kovalev who this fanboy called Kovy27 hijacked me from, my favorite player is Nedved, for no rational reason. I wear my dress shirts in court only half tucked in.

Second, and this will get me heated by 89% likely here, I am a Torts fan. Do not challenge me on this, I'm protected by the new laws these days.

Third, I saw some anti KOCUR posts, we banged, I forgot if it was a top or bottom, does it matter? He excites you, as I hope I will do. Do we really want analytics and stats to take us over? No, we want Koc getting it sometimes.

Fourth, is there an app for this? I almost panicked thinking my post got erased. Was gonna give up.

Fifth, speaking of giving up. And on point - I am a Laffy hater. I would love nothing more than be wrong, and I am so far this year, but how do I say it in French, Fal-yur? More concerning is Kakko becoming a top quality third line center his whole career. Me? Inferno? Leetch? Nobody knows.

Sixth and finally, looking forward to be here. Fire Tom Renney.

• Love
Reactions: will1066

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Put all stats aside. Watching our playoff series last season which guy was the better player just using your own eyes?

Hard to have Hughes take Dzone faceoffs. That is a legit weakness.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Would go a step further.

Most of us who have criticized his prior play didn't even bring up points until it's mentioned as a counter response. This is what has held him back from achieving the same opportunities as other high drafted rookies. Although, I'd argue his leash was pretty damn long considering how many mistakes and how badly he played and that he couldn't beat out anybody on the team for a better position. Not to beat a dead horse here, but Hughes may not have had the points to backup his rookie season, but even in that first season he showed elite play making ability. Elite Vision. Elite puck carrying ability. He even led his team in takeaways. He didn't do that because he was given a better opportunity to achieve it.

This season he's noticeably more engaged. He's hustling more getting in on the forecheck to create turn overs. He's finding players to help him when multiple players attack him. He's backing off defenders and going to the right area for open ice opportunities. He's moving his feet. Playing with Panarin, the points will come if he keeps doing that. It has obviously helped that Panarin is going right now.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Yes that’s the ratio of ozone starts to dzone starts. Last year he started 918 shifts on the fly compared to 238 in the o zone
Right so - that was my point. Obviously every player in the league starts on the fly more often than anything else. I was focusing more on offensive/defensive zone faceoffs. Zibby had 15% OZ v 18% DZ. Hughes was 16/6. If you include on the fly

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Put all stats aside. Watching our playoff series last season which guy was the better player just using your own eyes?

Hard to have Hughes take Dzone faceoffs. That is a legit weakness.
That was my point. It’s a legitimate weakness.

Hughes is way younger and more dynamic offensively. Zibanejad is 100x better defensively. He’s a legitimate Selke candidate. So Hughes stands out more and will score more points. Zibanejad is a better overall player when you combine all aspects of the game. But I would take Hughes bc of age/salary/potential. He’s only like 21.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Hughes is way younger and more dynamic offensively. Zibanejad is 100x better defensively. He’s a legitimate Selke candidate. So Hughes stands out more and will score more points. Zibanejad is a better overall player when you combine all aspects of the game. But I would take Hughes bc of age/salary/potential. He’s only like 21.
I agree with you that Mika is a more well rounded center. I do not agree with the conclusion that Mika is a better center at this point in time. I can see the case you are making. It is not a huge stretch. I just see Hughes with a lead at this point in time and that it could get wider because of the factors you mentioned.

Reactions: jerseyjinx94

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I agree with you that Mika is a more well rounded center. I do not agree with the conclusion that Mika is a better center at this point in time. I can see the case you are making. It is not a huge stretch. I just see Hughes with a lead at this point in time and that it could get wider because of the factors you mentioned.
Mika is more likely to be able to make it through a long playoff.
Hughes is still tiny, and taking hits from someone like gudas, reaves,or Trouba over the length of the playoffs will wear him down far easier.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Mika is more likely to be able to make it through a long playoff.
Hughes is still tiny, and taking hits from someone like gudas, reaves,or Trouba over the length of the playoffs will wear him down far easier.
That is possible. I have been impressed that Hughes was able to come back after a knee injury and still have amazing quickness.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

I would of course take Hughes over Zib as well. If Hughes works hard on his D the next couple of seasons, there's no reason he can't stop being a liability there. He's 22 or 23 though. His D+5. Not 21.

Reactions: jerseyjinx94

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Right so - that was my point. Obviously every player in the league starts on the fly more often than anything else. I was focusing more on offensive/defensive zone faceoffs. Zibby had 15% OZ v 18% DZ. Hughes was 16/6. If you include on the fly
Hughes gets the more favorable deployment but I’m not sure that explains the massive divide in their on ice results. I also don’t see the point in using +/-. If you just give Hughes the same .936 sv% he’s blowing Zib out there too

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
I would of course take Hughes over Zib as well. If Hughes works hard on his D the next couple of seasons, there's no reason he can't stop being a liability there. He's 22 or 23 though. His D+5. Not 21.

Regarding Laf, I think Hughes is the best candidate for comparisons (even though he outshines Laf in just about every category you can dream up). Hughes is only five months older, and while he's in his D+5, that only equates to 27 more games played by Hughes w/ around a 130 point difference between the two.

For what it's worth, I'd take Hughes over anyone currently on the Rangers roster (Except Shesty) if we're being truly honest.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Also, is Hughes really that much of a defensive liability putting up 68 points ES and being a +10 last season? When you're dropping 100 points in the season and are on the + side of the column, do you really need to work on your D game or keep beasting it on the offense? We sure we're not making up issues for players here?

Reactions: Shadowtron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad