Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Regarding Laf, I think Hughes is the best candidate for comparisons (even though he outshines Laf in just about every category you can dream up). Hughes is only five months older, and while he's in his D+5, that only equates to 27 more games played by Hughes w/ around a 130 point difference between the two.

For what it's worth, I'd take Hughes over anyone currently on the Rangers roster (Except Shesty) if we're being truly honest.
I'm not sure I take him over Fox, though Center is considered the more important position, and he IS younger...
For me its not the difference in age that is the bigger thing, it's the difference in development, when you are eligible to play in certain leagues that teach and develop you more. Higher levels of coaching. It really IMO is a bigger difference what side of the cutoff you are on than how close you are in age. And once you make it to the NHL, development is also about game experience. TOI and usage. Jack has played 4726 minutes of NHL hockey. Laf has played 3257. Thats 45% more TOI for Jack Hughes, a LOT of it PP1 time. As long as we are doing comparisons. Again, not saying Laf would be anywhere as good as Hughes right now, but if we are going to compare let's compare.

Also, is Hughes really that much of a defensive liability putting up 68 points ES and being a +10 last season? When you're dropping 100 points in the season and are on the + side of the column, do you really need to work on your D game or keep beasting it on the offense? We sure we're not making up issues for players here?
It's definitely not making up issues. He stinks on D. Does it mean he's not a great player? of course not. But if he played better D he'd be an even BETTER one. You'd be crazy to sit him over his D, but it's a legitimate issue that he should work on. And probably IS working on. I doubt he wants to be bad defensively and he's a very hard worker.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I agree with you that Mika is a more well rounded center. I do not agree with the conclusion that Mika is a better center at this point in time. I can see the case you are making. It is not a huge stretch. I just see Hughes with a lead at this point in time and that it could get wider because of the factors you mentioned.
I agree with you, what I mean by better all around center is if you graded them out on all aspects the game, Zibby would be a + in almost every category but physicality. Hughes would be a - in many aspects. His offensive potential is McDavid like so it masks them but he hasn’t reached that point yet

Reactions: bhamill

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
" His offensive potential is McDavid like so it masks them but he hasn’t reached that point yet"

give it time. give it time. hughes is a top 3 mvp candidate. to compare anybody on our team to him is pure insanity. even if he sucks at defense, face offs and whatever else you want to nitpick about his game your eyes will still be glued to the screen and wonder what will this guy do next.

4 games this year we'll have to face and try to contain this guy.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
This is only relevant if the ownership is okay forfeiting revenues. Most are not. Dolan was for a short time but he clearly wants the playoffs revenues. I think they land about 1.5m per home playoff game. He is a businessman and he wants his money

Ok, but rebuilds do happen, the assertion is question is that teams "always," ice the best team, and "always," is untrue.

The further caveat is that the admission that it's about money is an admission that always chasing that playoff revenue is knowingly just being greedy instead of actually trying to win the whole thing.

Which I already knew. The goal of just making the playoffs every year is a losing proposition for actually trying to win Cups. And I already knew that the Rangers as a franchise have "just make the playoffs and get that playoff revenue bag," as basically their operating business model.

Which is why they never win the Cup. They are too big and too good to suck out loud, so they never pick at the bottom, but conversely the owner doesn't have the patience and selflessness to sacrifice for a true dynasty. The fan base, inclined to be dogmatically loyal even if it understands that Dolan mostly sucks (because it is true that other of these rich, greedy asshole owners suck even more), will never blame the franchise for it's stated goal, which is inferior to actually building a dynasty.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Also, is Hughes really that much of a defensive liability putting up 68 points ES and being a +10 last season? When you're dropping 100 points in the season and are on the + side of the column, do you really need to work on your D game or keep beasting it on the offense? We sure we're not making up issues for players here?
Why even use +/- though? I don’t see the point in judging defensive play on a stat that is contingent on the goalie not filling his diaper over the course of the season.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Regarding Laf, I think Hughes is the best candidate for comparisons (even though he outshines Laf in just about every category you can dream up). Hughes is only five months older, and while he's in his D+5, that only equates to 27 more games played by Hughes w/ around a 130 point difference between the two.

For what it's worth, I'd take Hughes over anyone currently on the Rangers roster (Except Shesty) if we're being truly honest.
I'd help carry Shesterkin and deliver real ground shipping for Hughes.

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
Agreed re: Laf. Not Kakko.
I think Kakko has been playing well. He's been working hard. He's not getting any points, which is frustrating. That line hasn't been great. I think they'll click eventually.

So, good at 5v5, but still inexplicably bad on the PP?
Because PP 2 gets 30 seconds at the end of a PP and never gets that starting in the O zone. It's almost always on a slow line change and by the time they're set up it's over.

Reactions: CLW and mas0764

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Ok, but rebuilds do happen, the assertion is question is that teams "always," ice the best team, and "always," is untrue.

The further caveat is that the admission that it's about money is an admission that always chasing that playoff revenue is knowingly just being greedy instead of actually trying to win the whole thing.

Which I already knew. The goal of just making the playoffs every year is a losing proposition for actually trying to win Cups. And I already knew that the Rangers as a franchise have "just make the playoffs and get that playoff revenue bag," as basically their operating business model.

Which is why they never win the Cup. They are too big and too good to suck out loud, so they never pick at the bottom, but conversely the owner doesn't have the patience and selflessness to sacrifice for a true dynasty. The fan base, inclined to be dogmatically loyal even if it understands that Dolan mostly sucks (because it is true that other of these rich, greedy asshole owners suck even more), will never blame the franchise for it's stated goal, which is inferior to actually building a dynasty.
You went rebuild vs icing the best team. There is a large area between those two things that still generate playoff revenue.

NYC can always attract ufa stars, most teams that go through rebuilds need to build internally vs signings. not all, but most. NYR has to proactively suck and turn people away from taking their money.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think Kakko has been playing well. He's been working hard. He's not getting any points, which is frustrating. That line hasn't been great. I think they'll click eventually.
That line is also matching up against the other teams best. Chytils line has been a little more sheltered. But yes, they need more from them 5on5. Although if Kakko buried that breakaway (he had him beat) things might look a little rosier.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
Laf is going to score 3 goals tonight for the NY Rangers vs Carolina!

Who is with me?
dodgeball-bold-strategy-cotton-meme.gif

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I thought COOL-E was better than all of them.
He was.
Laf was ok. Chytil was obviously injured. Kakko is trying to figure out how Kreider and Zibanejad find success trying to score off the rush like this is inline hockey. Laf was aggreesive and wasn't taking shit, which is nice to see. Outside of that he was just ok, I guess. In fairness Hurricanes trapped that neutral zone and close off on you pretty quickly. Some bad passes even strengh and on the powerplay, but he hustled and broke up some plays.

Cuylle was playing more of a North-South game compared to the rest of the team last night.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Laf has been a bit more noticeable and positive for me this season, I admit. Maybe there’s a little Sam Bennett-lite in there. I really wish he was fast. Feisty and fast would be something we really don’t have and need.

That said, I previously joked that his age had been falsified by his parents early on and he was much older and that was why there wasn’t any continued growth post draft. It is true that literally one 1OA ELC is more money than most of us will make in our lifetimes. It’s still 99% a joke but…

IMG_6435.png

…the person in THIS picture? Is damn near my age.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
And do feel free to explore, @Stone97Ace. I would point you to a HFNYR Welcome & Quick-Start Guide if there were one.

I think you'll find the amenities pleasing. Lots of analytics to peruse. There's a library off in the corner that smells of rich mahogany and is filled with Rangers history books, operated by an old man who we are unsure is actually a Rangers fan.

There are many contests here to entertain you. Including one for funniest post each game. At the end of each season a Boardies awards ceremony is conducted, with many, many categories for you to choose and enter. It's a real black-tie affair.

Here you will find funny posters. You will find angry posters. You will encounter posters who follow the trials and tribulations of Brett Howden. Pidtophiles who carry out Bill Pidto's mission to live life one 150-second clip at a time. Kravtsov worship. You can get religious but not political.

You are encouraged to voice your opinion about John Brancy, as long as you think he's great. Everybody's an asshole here: there's an opinion on everything coming from each one.

Interesting nugget: Our resident game-day-thread creator extraordinaire is also Disney's president whose side hustle is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

One of From Dusk till Dawn classic scenes is where my mind went reading your welcome especially the bolded part!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LORDE and will1066

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
I guess Laf is due for points his next two games after this one? 1 Point > 0 points for 3 games > 3 points in 3 games > 0 points in 3 games > 1 point for tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad