Confirmed with Link: Alexis Lafreniere Signs Extension [7Y/7.45M AAV]

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Thought Wheeler actually looked pretty good last night. I’m sure the competition had something to do with it but after last night I’m willing to be a little more patient.
There were signs of life, which is encouraging. I still think if the line stays together and Wheeler improves, it can be a forecheck cycling nightmare for opponents

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I'd really love to be wrong about Laf.

He's actually moving this year. But still long way to go to meet expectations of a #1.

Alternatively, is it time the Rangers realize their offensive prospect development kind of sucks?

It’s way past time to realize that. Yes their offensive prospect development is absolutely partially at fault for this mess.

It was a nice move but more about Broberg falling than it being an insane move.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Yeah. Hughes was obviously underrated as a 1OA. There were scouts that were leaning Kakko (who was maybe a bit over rated, though when all is said and done I think we’ll still be very happy with him). Jack wasn’t considered an elite talent by most but right now he is looking close to generational as far as his offense. Devils lucked out there, what can you do? It was not like we passed on him. Jack had fairly terrible D+1, I wasnt feeling too bad about missing out on him. Hahaha.
It would have been a devastating mess if the Devils passed on Hughes and the Rangers got him - that would be something for the Devils fans to feel like shit about. The Rangers didnt have an option.

I think if Hughes was a Ranger there wouldnt be as many development questions, because he is a center. He wouldnt have been blocked like Laf and Kakko when they were drafted. This franchise always had center depth issues and we had two top draft picks that happened to be wingers when literally almost every other two successive drafts had a center go 1 or 2. They probably wouldnt have signed Trocheck and gave him the keys to the 1/2 C spot.

Maybe Kakko would've developed into a player better than he is now with the Devils because he wouldve been given free reign. I still think Kakko is a valuable player and i still think he should have went 2OA with what he showed on the world stage that year. He was beating NHL defenseman. Who knows. Fun to play the what ifs

Reactions: bhamill

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He could have actually taken this to his forehand.

Bouchard started off defending this kind of well and then just... stopped. I know its a tough read to make in real time but just an observation I can make in hindsight.
Hehad time in hindsight to hold onto the puck a split second longer you’re right. But not the easiest read in the moment.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
He could have actually taken this to his forehand.

Bouchard started off defending this kind of well and then just... stopped. I know its a tough read to make in real time but just an observation I can make in hindsight.

I disagree, Bouchard is letting him have it on his backhand, he's on it the whole time ready to poke check and swat it away if he pulls forehand

It’s way past time to realize that. Yes their offensive prospect development is absolutely partially at fault for this mess.

It was a nice move but more about Broberg falling than it being an insane move.

True, but he still got him crossing over the wrong way and made the stickhandle under his stick back to middle, so he was toast at that point even if he didn't fall.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Watching the replay of the game since I'm "working" from home. Two things that are different:

Lafreniere is finally at a conditioning/skating level that allows him to be more effective. He moves his feet and is not skating in sludge, which is the biggest gripe that I think everyone had. There is no chance he mixtapes a defender like that the last few years.

The structure that Laviolette provides has him reacting and not thinking. This ties in with his average level skating. He never was a burner, so he was always smarter than the other guy. With Quinn (micromanaging) and Gallant (not even macro managing) you've got a young guy overthinking everything.

I do think being with Panarin is a big deal too, as well as just rolling the lines and seeing how it goes, but the skating is key.

GENESISPuck94

May 2, 2022
NJ
It would have been a devastating mess if the Devils passed on Hughes and the Rangers got him - that would be something for the Devils fans to feel like shit about. The Rangers didnt have an option.

I think if Hughes was a Ranger there wouldnt be as many development questions, because he is a center. He wouldnt have been blocked like Laf and Kakko when they were drafted. This franchise always had center depth issues and we had two top draft picks that happened to be wingers when literally almost every other two successive drafts had a center go 1 or 2. They probably wouldnt have signed Trocheck and gave him the keys to the 1/2 C spot.

Maybe Kakko would've developed into a player better than he is now with the Devils because he wouldve been given free reign. I still think Kakko is a valuable player and i still think he should have went 2OA with what he showed on the world stage that year. He was beating NHL defenseman. Who knows. Fun to play the what ifs
If the Rangers drafted Hughes he would be playing in Russia right now.

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I don't think Gallant would have broken them up, seeing they are producing. But Kakko would have been moved off Zib's line for Goodrow.
Gallant definitely would've broken them up.

Panarin-Chytil have been pretty solid in extremely limited time over the past several seasons and that was the one player who is capable of playing center that Coach Dingus really didn't try with Panarin last year at all.

Fully convinced if every center in the lineup had gotten hurt except Chytil last year, he would've lobbied Drury to bring back Greg McKegg and would have put him with Panarin instead of Chytil.

So glad Gallant is gone.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
Give the rangers (coaching) credit. They’re putting him in the perfect spot to achieve. Probably hasn’t happened yet in his career.

He really hasn’t shown too much, other than spots here and there. It’s totally the right spot and right time.

Go rangers, all they’re doing with him makes sense

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
He really hasn’t shown too much, other than spots here and there.
I agree and that's why I think there's still a ton of upside for the kid. On the other hand, my worry is he will go back to being the LAF of the past.

Let's hope for the former.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
I do think people will just need to get over the 1OA hype. The Canadian media obviously overrated a French Canadian teenager coming out of the Q. He also is showing he could be a very good player and possibly a star in this league. Both things can be true at once. It should’ve been a much later pick for us, so if Laf is a “top 5 talent” instead of a 1OA, then it is what it is. It’s still a net win.

In the meantime, Zegras, who people have been obsessing over since we drafted Laf, has 1pt, is now playing W and has yet to play anything resembling actual competitive hockey vs 80s pond hockey since he was drafted.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I do think people will just need to get over the 1OA hype. The Canadian media obviously overrated a French Canadian teenager coming out of the Q. He also is showing he could be a very good player and possibly a star in this league. Both things can be true at once. It should’ve been a much later pick for us, so if Laf is a “top 5 talent” instead of a 1OA, then it is what it is. It’s still a net win.

In the meantime, Zegras, who people have been obsessing over since we drafted Laf, has 1pt, is now playing W and has yet to play anything resembling actual competitive hockey vs 80s pond hockey since he was drafted.
I get what you're saying about Lafreniere, but piling on Zegras after a slow start is even more ridiculous.

Player development isn't always linear, which is an important thing to remember. For Lafreniere or Zegras or anyone else, irrespective of their draft position.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I actually still makes me laugh that there were humans. People with pulses who said laff wasnt worth a 1st round pick LOL. Can you imagine saying that!?

I think because of Yakupov's flash in the pan season people view Laf as a worse player. Meanwhile before this year Laf was a much better player. He wasn't 1OA good but he was a 0.5 PPG player with very little OT time.

Beniersgeron

Release the Kraken!
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door

I think the Canadian hype was justified for Laffy as a junior player. Can you imagine any junior player that is drafted first overall in the junior draft and then is projected to be a potential 1st overall pick in the NHL draft, and then 3 years later still is the projected as the #1 NHL draft prospect after we won back to back CHL player of the year and WJC-20 MVP. Thats is an amazing junior career.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think because of Yakupov's flash in the pan season people view Laf as a worse player. Meanwhile before this year Laf was a much better player. He wasn't 1OA good but he was a 0.5 PPG player with very little OT time.
Hopefully LAF will be so good going forward, the comparisons become moot.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
I disagree, Bouchard is letting him have it on his backhand, he's on it the whole time ready to poke check and swat it away if he pulls forehand
This. The only other option Laf would have had time/space to do is pull directly in front of him and snap far side, but if he pulls the puck fully to his forehand, he's geting sweep checked.

Not a bad play at all to try to roof the backhand shortside there.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Disappointed by his play 2 periods in. Come on kid, shoot the puck!!!!

Vancouver does not have to worry about him shooting. He is pass first, pass second, pass third. Shooting never even enters his mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad